Guitar playing is not a sport

FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Posts: 12,223
edited September 2007 in Other Music
Playing faster and knowing more scales is no guarantee of making people dance and getting laid. It's rock and roll, goddamnfuckgoddamspunknaggit.* Here's the thread where we celebrate our favourite dumb, two chord rock.

You go first.

*Attributed to Sally Field, backstage
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• White Riot! Perfect punk song.:D
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    oh, fins.......your statement is incorrect. it does get you laid. a lot. trust me.
  • brain of c wrote:
    oh, fins.......your statement is incorrect. it does get you laid. a lot. trust me.

You think this bloke gets laid much?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKwDmOxRLLM
  • You think this bloke gets laid much?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKwDmOxRLLM

Well, I would say his guitar playing puts him in the game at least, giving him way more chance of pussy than without it.

That was actually pretty cool. And Hendrix sure got a laid a lot.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Yeah, but you know, energy and quick-thinking is attractive. ;):D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Well, I would say his guitar playing puts him in the game at least, giving him way more chance of pussy than without it.

That was actually pretty cool. And Hendrix sure got a laid a lot.

But Hendrix was an artist. Go to any guitar twiddlers' forum, and many of those toneless shredders who post call him a hack! The buffoons.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    But Hendrix was an artist. Go to any guitar twiddlers' forum, and many of those toneless shredders who post call him a hack! The buffoons.

People who say things like that are probably in awe of someone who has all the qualities they might wish for combined. I think that's why you consider him an artist. Maybe?
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Yep. It really doesn't take any "talent" to mindlessly shred. It just takes a lot of practice.

Guys like Clapton, Hendrix, even Neil Young have TALENT in my book.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • IMO, this is the heirachy for guitar players:
    Hendrix
    SRV

Everyone else.

IMO those two guys were so far ahead of everyone it was unbelievable.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Now, what about good old dumb two- or three-chord rock. What are people's favourite songs of that type?
  • scot88scot88 Posts: 217
    IMO, this is the heirachy for guitar players:
    Hendrix
    SRV

Everyone else.

IMO those two guys were so far ahead of everyone it was unbelievable.

switch srv and hendrix, and then add duane allman and you have my list.
  • Now, what about good old dumb two- or three-chord rock. What are people's favourite songs of that type?

The Who:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdRs1gKpeGg&mode=related&search=

and of course, the Zimmers!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqfFrCUrEbY&mode=related&search=
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Nah. Just take off SRV completely, add Duane Allman beneath Hendrix and put Dick Dale on top.
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • scot88 wrote:
    switch srv and hendrix, and then add duane allman and you have my list.
    I feel Hendrix was more innovative, which is why he gets the top spot. And Duanne was a fucking beast. Maybe up there too. Howabout he's between those two and everyone else?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • I'm not asking people's favourite guitarists. I couldn't give a shit.

What's your favourite dumb easy/power chord rock? That's the point of the thread. ;)
  • I'm not asking people's favourite guitarists. I couldn't give a shit.

What's your favourite dumb easy/power chord rock? That's the point of the thread. ;)

Highway to Hell is always a good one.
    And of course, Don't Gimme No Lip.:D
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • all ramones ha!
    Adge
    12.9.06= Rockin In The Free World
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Now, what about good old dumb two- or three-chord rock. What are people's favourite songs of that type?

anything by buckcherry... they get by on sheer attitude and cocaine. see 'crazy bitch' or 'lit up.'

im also partial to oasis. again, attitude makes up for an utter lack of originality.
  • does it count as a sport if you get winded while playing it?
  • does it count as a sport if you get winded while playing it?

Just as long as you're not trying to compete with some other fat, sweaty guy. ;)
  • =w=
  • Just as long as you're not trying to compete with some other fat, sweaty guy. ;)

hmmm... interesting...

but what happens when you walk into a guitar store and there's this kid sitting there completely mangling the fuck out of sweet child o'mine? you know the situation i'm talking about... it's the one where all his friends are standing around him like he's god's gift to the guitar.

in this situation, is it considered socially acceptable to sit down at the amp next to his, turn it way up, and completely embarrass him?

on one hand, i can see why such actions would be considered rude. but at the same time, he was the one who initially displayed improper music store etiquette by mangling a common riff...

please advise... :)
  • hmmm... interesting...

but what happens when you walk into a guitar store and there's this kid sitting there completely mangling the fuck out of sweet child o'mine? you know the situation i'm talking about... it's the one where all his friends are standing around him like he's god's gift to the guitar.

in this situation, is it considered socially acceptable to sit down at the amp next to his, turn it way up, and completely embarrass him?

on one hand, i can see why such actions would be considered rude. but at the same time, he was the one who initially displayed improper music store etiquette by mangling a common riff...

please advise... :)

I usually head into music shops armed with gigantic earmuffs. I buy what I need to buy, and fook off. ;)