What was the very first chart song you can actually remember?

FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Posts: 12,223
edited September 2007 in Other Music
I don't mean the first song you bought. I mean the first contemporary song in your childhood that you can remember hearing: that is, a current chart song of the period, and not what was already by that time an oldie/classic.

I can remember watching this very performance, on Top of the Pops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJOJTqQZkuE
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    I could tell you, but then I'd have to shoot you because you'd know how old I am! :D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • I grew up on classic rock radio, so most of the songs I remember hearing at an early age are classics. Some of the earliest songs I vividly remember hearing are Black Dog by Led Zeppelin and Piece of Mind by Boston.

The first contemporary songs I can remember hearing are probably Thriller era Micheal Jackson, most likely Beat It. I can also remember seeing the video for Dire Straits' Money for Nothing.

Sweet Child of Mine also sticks out as kicking my ass the first time I heard it. It was a breath of fresh air in the sea of godawful hair metal that dominated rock stations at the time. I've seen a few people on this board describe G n R as hair metal. Those people could not be more wrong.
  • 4 songs immediately came to mind, and I just looked at the years they were on the charts, and they are all about the same time 82-83. I had all of the 45's.

"Mickey" by Toni Basil
    "Islands in the Stream" by Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton
    "I Love A Rainy Night" by Eddie Rabbitt

For some reason I thought Thriller was more recent than those, but I guess not... I remember that video from the Friday Night Video days on NBC in the early 80's.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • justam wrote:
    I could tell you, but then I'd have to shoot you because you'd know how old I am! :D

Aww, go on. We won't tell.
  • mindimindi Posts: 1,858
    I'm not sure I understand the question, a current song as in a song from now?

Or the first chart song I remember?

I remember loving the song Seasons in the Sun! That has to be from the 70s.

My parents also listened to lots of Dylan and Blood Sweat & Tears, so I remember those too.
    To 10c; "Your PJ tshirt should be tight enough to show you're a woman and loose enough to show you're a lady." - bionicamy
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Ive given this some thought in the past, remember Ebony&Ivory for sure, the video I recall featured huge piano keys or something. Also there was the Carpenters who had one that trips me up whenever I hear it, think its their most reknowned song.

at the moment I have the theme tune to Sons&Daughters playing in my head:

"tears to give me roses, I wish I could again, but that was on the outside and things were different then, In the morning when the sun comes out, do do der der der derder,,,,,,,sons and daughters...".
  • mindi wrote:
    I'm not sure I understand the question, a current song as in a song from now?

Or the first chart song I remember?

I remember loving the song Seasons in the Sun! That has to be from the 70s.

My parents also listened to lots of Dylan and Blood Sweat & Tears, so I remember those too.

I mean, the first song you remember hearing on the radio, or seeing on TV, that was a brand-new, just released and popular hit.
  • elmer wrote:
    Ive given this some thought in the past, remember Ebony&Ivory for sure, the video I recall featured huge piano keys or something. Also there was the Carpenters who had one that trips me up whenever I hear it, think its their most reknowned song.

at the moment I have the theme tune to Sons&Daughters playing in my head:

"tears to give me roses, I wish I could again, but that was on the outside and things were different then, In the morning when the sun comes out, do do der der der derder,,,,,,,sons and daughters...".

Ah, that'd be 1982.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Your Mama Don't Dance by Loggins and Messina
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Joy Division's performance of Transmission on some tv show. of course, I was watching this in about 1992, not 1979.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Billboard Hot 100 number one single
    September 6, 1975: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6-JhdFp5e0

I guess it's what I get for growing up the the south. :)
    1998-6/20, 6/21
    2003-6/1, 10/25
    2005-8/29, 9/4
    2006-7/2, 7/22, 7/23
    2008-4/15(EV solo)
    2009-9/21, 9/22, 9/28
    2011-9/3, 9/4
    2012-9/30
    2013-7/19, 11/30
  • gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    I mean, the first song you remember hearing on the radio, or seeing on TV, that was a brand-new, just released and popular hit.

I remember. It's a secret. I don't even know who sang it. I'll have to look it up.

Aside from the radio (which I didn't hear too much of until I got one for Christmas when I was 10), though, I heard a lot of Johnny Cash blaring from my Dad's reel-to-reel in rotation with Iron Butterfly and that whole in-a-gadda-da-vida trip. The latter tune was probably the first rock song that gave me an appreciation for rock itself.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
    Definitely Seasons In The Sun then. Yes I am OLD!! :P
    To 10c; "Your PJ tshirt should be tight enough to show you're a woman and loose enough to show you're a lady." - bionicamy
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Joy Division's performance of Transmission on some tv show. of course, I was watching this in about 1992, not 1979.

I can remember Love Will Tear Us Apart being in the charts, and my brother saying that the lead singer, Ian Curtis, had just hanged himself a couple of weeks beforehand. I think the promo to that song featured on Tiswas, funnily enough.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,848
    eric carmen-all by myself
    carly simon-nobody does it better
    little river band-reminiscing
    hall and oates-rich girl
    dobbie brothers-china grove
    bee gees-jive talkin'
    ozark mountain daredevils-jackie blue
    captain and tenille-love will keep us together
    rollercoaster of love:-the one where the singer was allegedly shot while singing it

Is that what you mean?
    Get_Right wrote:
    eric carmen-all by myself
    carly simon-nobody does it better
    little river band-reminiscing
    hall and oates-rich girl
    dobbie brothers-china grove
    bee gees-jive talkin'
    ozark mountain daredevils-jackie blue
    captain and tenille-live will keep us together
    rollercoaster of love:-the one where the singers was allegedly shot while singing it

Is that what you mean?
    I remember those too!
    Also lots of Carpenters.
    I went to see the movie Tommy when I was pretty young, when it first came out, I was such a cool kid,LOL!!!! I think I even had one of those Pinball Wizard caps.
    i remember hearing this song over and over again on the radio many, many, many years ago. i'd never seen the singer before. she's kinda cute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5pkkAhETYg&mode=related&search=

Actually, a pretty good song. I think.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,848
    mindi wrote:
    I remember those too!
    Also lots of Carpenters.
    I went to see the movie Tommy when I was pretty young, when it first came out, I was such a cool kid,LOL!!!! I think I even had one of those Pinball Wizard caps.

unfortunately, it was the elton john version that got played at my house
    lots of "captain fantastic"
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • gue_barium wrote:
    i remember hearing this song over and over again on the radio many, many, many years ago. i'd never seen the singer before. she's kinda cute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5pkkAhETYg&mode=related&search=

Actually, a pretty good song. I think.

She's still about, recording and performing.
    She's still about, recording and performing.

I'll be damned. This was a real find. I'm thinking I haven't heard this song since I was 5 years old. Listening to it now nearly 40 years later... wow.

Good topic starter.

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I can remember Love Will Tear Us Apart being in the charts, and my brother saying that the lead singer, Ian Curtis, had just hanged himself a couple of weeks beforehand. I think the promo to that song featured on Tiswas, funnily enough.
    I was strangely drawn to that performance of Transmission... which is worrying really, a 4 year old finding a clearly disturbed man, on god knows what drugs having what appeared to be one of his epileptic fits on stage, so compelling :D

but anyway, great song.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • I can remember The Wombles on TOTP, too, and Bohemian Rhapsody, the first time around. Oh, and I can remember my brother bringing Physical Graffiti home from the shop, brand new. We're talking 1975, folks.
  • I remember when My Sharona came out and man it was HUGE!
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    I remember when My Sharona came out and man it was HUGE!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TCQIwNeZk9k

:D
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Rock the Boat by the Hues Corporation

or

Anything 70's motown

or

Beatles
    I love to turn you on