Fans of traditional Irish music

FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Posts: 12,223
edited September 2006 in Other Music
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Great find! I used to listen to traditional Irish music in college to try and relax when I was studying. It's quite soothing.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    What kind of instrument is that?

And where's the air coming from?

I thought he'd be blowing into something, but his mouth isn't involved at all! :D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    justam wrote:
    What kind of instrument is that?

And where's the air coming from?

I thought he'd be blowing into something, but his mouth isn't involved at all! :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uilleann_Pipes

Uilleann pipes (IPA: [ˈɪlən]) are the characteristic national bagpipe of Ireland. The uilleann pipes bag is inflated by means of a small set of bellows strapped around the waist and the right arm. Found in other European bagpipes, the bellows not only relieves the player from the effort needed to blow into a bag to maintain pressure, they also allow relatively dry air to power the reeds, reducing the adverse affects of moisture on tuning and longevity.

Cushioned bellowsThe uilleann pipes are distinguished from many other forms of bagpipes by their sweet tone and wide range of notes — the chanter has a range of two full octaves, including sharps and flats — together with the unique blend of chanter, drones and "regulators." The regulators are equipped with closed keys which can be opened by the piper's wrist action enabling the piper to play simple chords, giving a rhythmic and harmonic accompaniment as needed. The chanter can also be played staccato by resting the bottom of the chanter on the piper's knee to close off the bottom hole and then open and close only the tone holes required. If one tone hole is closed before the next one opened, a staccato effect can be created.

The uilleann pipes have a different harmonic structure, sounding sweeter and quieter than many other bagpipes, such as the Irish Warpipes or Great Highland Bagpipes. The uilleann pipes are usually played indoors, and are always played sitting down.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Oh that's so nice - thank you! I used to listen to a lot of Irish music. Not so much these days.

The instrument is Uillean pipes (pronounced I think, as 'illin'). There's a type of bag under his arm that he is pumping with his arm to get the air for the instrument.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • That's my all-time favourite instrument, Ireland's real gift to the world: uilleann pipes. Perhaps the reason I love Hendrix so much is that, his guitar is the closest
    in tone I've ever heard to this most beautiful of vessels.

I've had an idea, justam! Watch your PMs! :)
    Thanks for the information Bathgate66 and Jane NY. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&

I've had an idea, justam! Watch your PMs! :)

I will. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    Bruce needs to add this guy Seamus to the next Leg of the Seeger Sessions Band tour starting next month in Europe !
    platessmall.jpg
  • Bathgate66 wrote:
    Bruce needs to add this guy Seamus to the next Leg of the Seeger Sessions Band tour starting next month in Europe !

Seamus is well dead!

http://www.cowonamerica.com/jetcast%5Fdirectory/list_english.asp?selectlanguage=English&selectgenre=100&sort=&sortorder=0&page=&pagesize=

Find Finsbury FM on that. ;)

:)

(Can only take 10 listeners)

sorry

surely there are other able players whocan join the boss !

;)
    platessmall.jpg
  • alobaralobar Posts: 310
    wow. that was amazing. It reminded me of a song from Dirty Three's "Whatever You Love, You Are" album where Warren Ellis plays this 3 minute intro to a song on his violin.

thanks for the post.
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
  • I'll leave the tracks I have running, looping, overnight, on Finsbury FM.

It's not Seamus playing. It's someone else. :)

Enjoy. :)
  • I'll put my hand up to loving trad. Irish music, but can't listen to the clip right now. I LOVE Uillean pipes though :) My favourite piece using them is called 'Flight of the Wild Goose' by the band Iona; live, it's incredible.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Where's Michael Flatley when you need him?
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-