Macca's bass playing on "Something"

FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Posts: 12,223
edited July 2008 in Other Music
is mighty. It might even be the best thing about the song.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Definitely a great bassist. Now if only the twat had discarded half his songs... :p
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • HushBullHushBull Posts: 996
    Who are you talking about? Me wonders.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
    HushBull wrote:
    Who are you talking about? Me wonders.
    :eek: seriously?

The Beatles :)
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Every last bit of that song is perfect. :)
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
    Duh!!!
    hehehe, never heard him referenced as Macca. And the threads point is obvious, of course it is awesome. It's just that, "Something", didn't instantly register as the Beatles tune to me...I bet there are a lot of songs called that...maybe :o
    HushBull wrote:
    Duh!!!
    hehehe, never heard him referenced as Macca. And the threads point is obvious, of course it is awesome. It's just that, "Something", didn't instantly register as the Beatles tune to me...I bet there are a lot of songs called that...maybe :o
    Apparently it's exclusive only to britain (and Ireland obviously) but he's widely known as Macca here. It's a level of affection I feel uncomfortable with, seeing as how I detest him :) Love The Beatles though.
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Awesome song from a truly timeless album......
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    is mighty. It might even be the best thing about the song.

*nods in concurrence*

i want one of those music studio programs just so i can isolate the bass on some of the beatles tunes... i'm serious.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Apparently it's exclusive only to britain (and Ireland obviously) but he's widely known as Macca here. It's a level of affection I feel uncomfortable with, seeing as how I detest him :) Love The Beatles though.

why the hate? the guy, and this is bandied around a lot, a genius... i mean that.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    Macca is a musical genius.....

The Beatles would have been nothing without him.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
    dunkman wrote:
    why the hate? the guy, and this is bandied around a lot, a genius... i mean that.
    Words cannot express how much I despise the trademark McCartney "ditties". Songs like Maxwell's Silver Hammer, When I'm Sixty-Four etc. I like his serious songs. The ones where he tries to be quirky make me cringe. Even Ringo did cheery nonsense tunes better. I can't help it. I've felt this way since I was about 8 :D His whole public personality irks me no end too. Just drives me up the wall. Watching him talk on TV makes me want to break stuff. I sometimes can't believe it's the same guy who wrote some of the songs I've loved forever.

He might be a nice guy in person but by god does he annoy me :p
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Words cannot express how much I despise the trademark McCartney "ditties". Songs like Maxwell's Silver Hammer, When I'm Sixty-Four etc. I like his serious songs. The ones where he tries to be quirky make me cringe. Even Ringo did cheery nonsense tunes better. I can't help it. I've felt this way since I was about 8 :D His whole public personality irks me no end too. Just drives me up the wall. Watching him talk on TV makes me want to break stuff. I sometimes can't believe it's the same guy who wrote some of the songs I've loved forever.

Yeah, I'd take Octopus' Garden over Maxwell's Silver Hammer any day. But I don't actively dislike McCartney.... I just don't pay attention to anything he does outside of playing some of my favourite songs. :)
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Words cannot express how much I despise the trademark McCartney "ditties". Songs like Maxwell's Silver Hammer, When I'm Sixty-Four etc. I like his serious songs. The ones where he tries to be quirky make me cringe. Even Ringo did cheery nonsense tunes better.

I agree with that.....

It's weird listening to songs like Maxwell's Silver Hammer and thinking that's the same guy who penned amazing songs like For Noone and Yesterday.....
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

ok i can understand that... the thumbs aloft aspect of macca aint my bag baby... but by fuck he could play the bass like a man who studied bass at Bass College with Professor Bassington.. who drank Shandy Bass by the way...

words cannot express how much i love the guy's tunes, music, ability.. i've been in his wee hoose for fucks sake... i've sat in his bedroom!!! :eek:
    Yeah, I'd take Octopus' Garden over Maxwell's Silver Hammer any day. But I don't actively dislike McCartney.... I just don't pay attention to anything he does outside of playing some of my favourite songs. :)

but Maxwell aside.. i mean he wrote about 2473 other classic tunes... he's allowed a duffer now and again.. i mean i have a wee paunch, nobody can be 100% awesome!! ;);)
  • dunkman wrote:
    but Maxwell aside.. i mean he wrote about 2473 other classic tunes... he's allowed a duffer now and again.. i mean i have a wee paunch, nobody can be 100% awesome!! ;);)

Even the mighty Dunk's not 100% awesome? :eek:

My world is shaken. ;)
    Even the mighty Dunk's not 100% awesome? :eek:

My world is shaken. ;)

not shtirred ;)

i'm pretty close though dude... but i have 387 eyelashes on one eye and only 362 on the other.. it means i fall over a lot
    dunkman wrote:
    ok i can understand that... the thumbs aloft aspect of macca aint my bag baby... but by fuck he could play the bass like a man who studied bass at Bass College with Professor Bassington.. who drank Shandy Bass by the way...

words cannot express how much i love the guy's tunes, music, ability.. i've been in his wee hoose for fucks sake... i've sat in his bedroom!!! :eek:
    Really? what were you doing there...? :o:D

He went to my local chippy in south London twice for some reason. What he was doing in New Cross I have no idea but he likes chips and pickled onions apparently (now known in there as the Paul McCartney special. They neglected to put Heather Mills' name in there even though, judging by the picture, she bought food too). He even liked it enough to come back two weeks later. Now this place markets its food as "chips to the stars" or some shit.
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

He went to my local chippy in south London twice for some reason. What he was doing in New Cross I have no idea but he likes chips and pickled onions apparently (now known in there as the Paul McCartney special. They neglected to put Heather Mills' name in there even though, judging by the picture, she bought food too). He even liked it enough to come back two weeks later. Now this place markets its food as "chips to the stars" or some shit.

I know that chippy... and Heather isnt ignored!! that chippy does a whole chicken supper but you only get one leg on the chicken...
    dunkman wrote:
    I know that chippy... and Heather isnt ignored!! that chippy does a whole chicken supper but you only get one leg on the chicken...
    :D:D:D
  • HushBull wrote:
    Duh!!!

"Macca" was John's nickname for Paul.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,854
    Dear Prudence is another awesome bass line from Paul
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    "Macca" was John's nickname for Paul.
    How cute.
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Words cannot express how much I despise the trademark McCartney "ditties". Songs like Maxwell's Silver Hammer, When I'm Sixty-Four etc. I like his serious songs. The ones where he tries to be quirky make me cringe.

depends on who's trademarking it. some people think of Paul and then immediately think of stuff like Ob La Di, Ob La Da or Maxwell's Silver Hammer. I pity those people.

the REAL trademark Paul songs...to me anyway:

Back in the USSR
    Blackbird
    Helter Skelter
    Elanor Rigby
    For No One
    Here There And Everywhere
    All My Loving
    Things We Said Today
    Fool On the Hill
    Let It Be
    I've Just Seen a Face
    Lady Madonna
    Mother Nature's Son
    Long and Winding Road
    Golden Slumbers/Carry that Weight/The End
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:

Well, you couldn't have a New Cross chippie selling "French fries" at the moment. :D

*runs*
    Well, you couldn't have a New Cross chippie selling "French fries" at the moment. :D

*runs*
    :eek: that was terrible :p

My mother is fucking terrified. Says she's not letting me go back. The news couldn't have made it any worse. She was already having a heart attack about them being students and then it's like "Police say one victim was stabbed 200 times, 100 of them post-mortem, and then set on fire. Officers at the scene said it is the most violent murder they have ever seen".

:(

*goes out to buy baseball bat for his new house in deepest, darkest New Cross.
    depends on who's trademarking it. some people think of Paul and then immediately think of stuff like Ob La Di, Ob La Da or Maxwell's Silver Hammer. I pity those people.

the REAL trademark Paul songs...to me anyway:

Back in the USSR
    Blackbird
    Helter Skelter
    Elanor Rigby
    For No One
    Here There And Everywhere
    All My Loving
    Things We Said Today
    Fool On the Hill
    Let It Be
    I've Just Seen a Face
    Lady Madonna
    Mother Nature's Son
    Long and Winding Road
    Golden Slumbers/Carry that Weight/The End
    imo, nothing he has done can erase the sour taste of When I'm Sixty-Four :p
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    imo, nothing he has done can erase the sour taste of When I'm Sixty-Four :p

fine but remember, you'll...be...old...da...too..

Pearl Jam bootlegs: