Options

MSG 1 - So, does Ed not know PJ partnered with Verizon?

L1quidL1quid Posts: 75
edited June 2008 in The Porch
Or does he consider flip phones "gatefold"? :)

He made a big deal out of the iTunes gift cards you can buy, since you can't open them and roll joints on em as you can vinyl, but here PJ is selling mp3s through Verizon Wireless.

If, before the show, we (our row in 10c seating) thought it was funny or odd that PJ partnered with VZW, when Ed said this it really made no sense. I'm not an iTunes user and love vinyl, but come on. Partnering with VZW is almost insulting, and then he goes off on iTunes.

We figured maybe Verizon wrote that speech for him.

PS the VZW ads on two big screens before the show really put us in the mood for some music.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Those are pretty small nitpicks btw, meant mainly in jest. The show was more awesome than I could have imagined and I fully enjoyed myself.
  • Options
    beachdwellerbeachdweller Posts: 1,532
    L1quid wrote:
    Or does he consider flip phones "gatefold"? :)

He made a big deal out of the iTunes gift cards you can buy, since you can't open them and roll joints on em as you can vinyl, but here PJ is selling mp3s through Verizon Wireless.

If, before the show, we (our row in 10c seating) thought it was funny or odd that PJ partnered with VZW, when Ed said this it really made no sense. I'm not an iTunes user and love vinyl, but come on. Partnering with VZW is almost insulting, and then he goes off on iTunes.

We figured maybe Verizon wrote that speech for him.

PS the VZW ads on two big screens before the show really put us in the mood for some music.

they're artists, but also businessmen. They can do as much as their career's can stand, and they can live with. So maybe get over it a bit, this isn't a big deal.
    "Music, for me, was fucking heroin." eV (nothing Ed has said is more true for me personally than this quote)

Stop by:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14678777351&ref=mf
  • Options
    eh, i'm sure he was hammered :D
  • Options
    they're artists, but also businessmen. They can do as much as their career's can stand, and they can live with. So maybe get over it a bit, this isn't a big deal.
    As my second post indicated, I'm pretty over it :P Just seemed like a case of the right hand not knowing who the left hand was giving a handjob to.
    MrSmith wrote:
    eh, i'm sure he was hammered :D

hah or that
  • Options
    LeilaMoonTurtleLeilaMoonTurtle Posts: 1,422
    he made a point of saying im sure these companies sell our music
    and then he kept on so yea he knows
    he just wants to know how the young'ns do it
    :)
  • Options
    I didn't know PJ was available on iTunes, go figure.
  • Options
    beachdwellerbeachdweller Posts: 1,532
    L1quid wrote:
    As my second post indicated, I'm pretty over it :P Just seemed like a case of the right hand not knowing who the left hand was giving a handjob to.

hah or that

sorry, should have made that a little more generalized, it's more a comment on how tight so many scrutinize the band. It get's old, as do those that comment about those comments I guess :)
    "Music, for me, was fucking heroin." eV (nothing Ed has said is more true for me personally than this quote)

Stop by:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14678777351&ref=mf
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    sorry, should have made that a little more generalized, it's more a comment on how tight so many scrutinize the band. It get's old, as do those that comment about those comments I guess :)

i don't see it so much as scrutiny as i do pointing out ed's hypocrisy.

anyway, itunes has the from the basement series avaiable w/ great bands like radiohead, the shins, the white stripes....does vzw? and isn't verizon one of the telecom companies that let the government illegally monitor all their customers communications?

http://www.fromthebasement.tv/
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Options
    *Toastie*Toastie Posts: 59
    I havent heard everything Ed has said but it sounds to me like he is saying he likes vinyl and not so much downloading and stuff. Pearl Jam arent stupid they know how the business works so that is why they sell mp3's. I dont see any hypocracy in this? Ed loves vinyl doesnt like mp3s but still will sell them because that what people want.
    www.myspace.com/allmankind
  • Options
    I_Got_ShitI_Got_Shit Posts: 325
    The screens with Verizon logos are more troubling for me, considering their tour rider specifically states that all corporate logos must be covered up at every venue they play.

I can see what Ed is saying about missing the tactile experience you get from an album. I don't think anyone doubts the convenience of mp3s, but it's different. I grew up in the CD era, but it was still cool to open that annoying plastic wrapping, check out the liner notes, and put the CD on the rack with the rest of my collection. And I've rolled plenty of joints on those jewel cases, even if they are a bit smaller!
    *Does not include encore of Garden and Leash.
  • Options
    El_Kabong wrote:
    and isn't verizon one of the telecom companies that let the government illegally monitor all their customers communications?

http://www.fromthebasement.tv/
    if true this is a very valid point. if you're gonna partner with someone, try to make it with a corporation a little less evil.

they raised and turned off the screens when the show started, maybe that is a grey area in their rider.