Buddy Miles 1947-2008

FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Posts: 12,223
edited February 2008 in Other Music
From his official myspace page:

"God said “Buddy I need dem‘ feets!”

Miles, Buddy; born September 5th, 1947 in Omaha Nebraska, passed away Tuesday, peacefully on February 26, 2008, 10:09 p.m. in his home; at (60) sixty years old. He is survived by spouse Sherrilae Chambers -Miles, and soul sister Connie; who stood by his side with other close family and friends. There will be multiple Memorial/Tribute services across the United States beginning in Austin, Texas on March 30th at Threadgill’s on Riverside. He is survived by his step-daughter Chealsea, step-son Asa, grandson Brenden and granddaughter Mia, Niece’s Shalis, and Suquett, Nephew’s, Jay and Tony, great nieces, Brianna and Miracle, great nephew’s, Calvin and Jay, and Gino Parsons of Omaha. Buddy also leaves Randy Pavlock and a few others from Austin, whom he considered his own sons. He leaves many close friends and fans and a great musical legacy that will live on forever.

In lieu of flowers; the family has asked to please make donations to the Jazz Foundation of America specifically in Buddy Miles’ name to assist with funeral, and other expenses at http://www.jazzfoundation.org ; The Jazz Foundation of America, at 322 West 48th Street, New York, NY, 10036, Attn.: Amy Cusma.

He performed with some of the greatest names in musical history such as: Stevie Wonder, Muddy Waters, Michael Bloomfield, Wilson Pickett, Stephen Stills, Neil Young, David Crosby, Jack Bruce, Eric Burden, Peter Torque, Billy Gibbons, Prince, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Jimmy Vaughan, Rick James, Kool and the Gang, Jr. Brown, Ike Turner, Pinetop Perkins, Jr. Wells, Koko Taylor, Johnny Taylor, Barry White, Aretha Franklin, George Clinton, Bootsy Collins, Carlos Santana, Jimi Hendrix, Robert Lockwood, Jr., Billy Cox, David Bowie and so many others; the list is shorter of whom he did not play with, than who he did.

Buddy Miles spent over (50) fifty years in the music world recording over 70 albums and performing for numerous world tours, television commercials, videos and charity events."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Oh man. Buddy Miles was great. My favorite performance of his is on Band of Gypsys with Jimi Hendrix when they played Who Knows, and Miles goes into this crazy vocal solo. I'm gonna spin that song now.

He was also really influential on Miles Davis later stuff, especially the Tribute to Jack Johnson. Apparently Miles Davis was at that show ^ and was totally influenced and when he went into the studio to record a Tribute to Jack Johnson, he told the drummer to play like Buddy Miles.

R.I.P
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqCIY_aaK20

If there's a great beyond, I bet Jimi hijacked him at the pearly gates. "Buddy, git yo ass in here and let's jam!"
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,273
    damm he was young will look at videos when i get home ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    peace, buddy.
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153

Damn I nevedr know Jimi drank Lucky Lager ......thats some cheap ass beer! :p

RIP Buddy
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Hawkshore wrote:
    Damn I nevedr know Jimi drank Lucky Lager ......thats some cheap ass beer! :p

RIP Buddy

Well, that was a photo from Monterey! He was tripping on STP (Owsley) and LSD too ... ;)
  • Wow! Another great one passes on. I'm sure he's jamming "Machine Gun" and "Them Changes" with Jimi right about now in heaven. I saw this guy play at some Hendrix tribute concert about 3 years ago at the Warfield in SF. He was awesome. Although, he looked like he must have weighed about 500 lbs that night and he smoking throughout the night. So I guess we shouldn't be surprised? Still, I love what this guy did and he seemed like such a kind, gentle soul. If you get a chance, check out this DVD: http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Classic_Albums_Jimi_Hendrix_Electric_Ladyland/21026526?trkid=147042

It's mostly Eddie Kramer recalling the making of Jimi's "Electric Ladyland", but there's a big segment with Buddy Miles. A joy to watch him recall those glory days. Anyway, I will have to play "Band of Gypsies" in memory of Buddy.

Rock on, Buddy!
    Rock on!
    ~Edward

===========================
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    Well, that was a photo from Monterey! He was tripping on STP (Owsley) and LSD too ... ;)

I know you are the resident Jimi guru Fin .......but have you seen the documentary of Jimi I can't remember what it is called ....but they are interviewing people who were close to him after he had died. ......and one of the guys in Jimi's crew ......his job was to test Jimi's drugs. :p ...real freaky looking dude :) It just seemed hilarious to me that you would have a drug tester as part of your road crew :D .....Like I said I can't remember the title of it but I have a copy of it on VHS at home.
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • It's called A Film About Jimi Hendrix (aka Jimi Hendrix), and it was made by Nick Drake/John and Beverley Martyn producer Joe Boyd, and released in 1973. I don't remember a drug-tester though. There was the roadie "H", the late Howard Parker, who said he had to hold up Jimi's Marshall speakers at the back, while Jimi made all the motions of humping them around the front. But maybe you've a different edit?
  • KannKann Posts: 1,146
    That's a great picture (jimi had some style).
    Sorry for Buddy Miles though, he did make some great music. At least he left a trace in the world.
  • RIP Buddy

I remember a few years ago I got to see him perform. A friend of mine was dating a guy that run a little club where they mostly play techno and have random live music acts. She said let's go to the club "Buddy Guy" is playing. I was like OK I'll check him out. Surprised to find out she said the wrong Buddy. :) If I remember correctly he played a little bit of "Changes" He was not looking good then. Hobbling around in a cane and wheelchair. Mofo could still drum though.
    NERDS!
  • Rest in Peace.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V