I predict

FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Posts: 12,223
edited March 2008 in Other Music
that in two years time, a gig down your local pub will be a hellish thing. Classical music students with fake emo haircuts will take the stage with their macbook of preprogrammed acousmatic/IDM/tape music sample bollocks that never ends, and warble away in a really horrid sub-Thom Yorke/Muse caterwaul over interminable white noise and sounds of elephants shagging in space. The audience, used to Roll Out The Barrel and Agadoo by Black Lace, will be bullied into thinking that because this shit is new, it must be progressive. Well, it was progressive ten years ago or more, when a few blokes and blokesses from Iceland, with names like svorjkknn effekkkjjjkkklliingggkkenn were doing it. Now it's mainstream and the chartered accountants' music of the future.

Ah, I feel better, for that rant. :D
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• electronblueelectronblue Posts: 3,460
    huh?...~

:D
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• huh?...~

:D

You'll see. Be wary of post-rock nights down your local boozer ...
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    their macbook of preprogrammed acousmatic/IDM/tape music sample bollocks that never ends, and warble away in a really horrid sub-Thom Yorke/Muse caterwaul over interminable white noise and sounds of elephants shagging in space

this description actually sounds quite good/intriguing to me.....give me that over the typical wanky bar band boring me to death with horrible Pink Floyd/Led Zeppelin/Rolling Stones covers any day
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • electronblueelectronblue Posts: 3,460
    You'll see. Be wary of post-rock nights down your local boozer ...

i shall keep my eyes wide open...~

:)
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• Todd76 wrote:
    this description actually sounds quite good/intriguing to me.....give me that over the typical wanky bar band boring me to death with horrible Pink Floyd/Led Zeppelin/Rolling Stones covers any day

Jesus wept.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Jesus wept.
    I agree with him. Agreed, IDM live is probably terribly boring, though I hear that Autechre are great live, but it's certainly musically more interesting than the same old crappy classic rock covers bands.

Besides, what you chattin' bout post-rock? Post-rock is nothing like that shit :p Post-rock is all about the violins and bowed guitar, not bleepy shit.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I agree with him. Agreed, IDM live is probably terribly boring, though I hear that Autechre are great live, but it's certainly musically more interesting than the same old crappy classic rock covers bands.

Besides, what you chattin' bout post-rock? Post-rock is nothing like that shit :p Post-rock is all about the violins and bowed guitar, not bleepy shit.

I've got a mate who bows guitar along to bleepy shit, so I suppose I should be careful. :D
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:

Nah, trust me. After three weeks of this posturing, you'll be crying out for Brown Sugar and Rockin' All Over The World.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Nah, trust me. After three weeks of this posturing, you'll be crying out for Brown Sugar and Rockin' All Over The World.
    I <3 IDM and post-rock :)

As long as it isn't all macbook related and doesn't have the nefarious haircut you mentioned then I'm ok with it :D
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    interminable white noise and sounds of elephants shagging in space

I stand by my assertion - if this ^ is our future .....sign me up :)

(IMO elephants shagging in space is a sorely underused sample in the current music industry)

.....the whole haircut thing does concern me though
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • haha whatever. This is the same rant that comes from the old people of every generation going back to friggin' Mesopotamia. Right now, artistic expression through music is better than it's ever been, and the talent pool is enormous...and in 2 years time, it'll be bigger and better than it is now. And 2 years after that, it'll be even better.