Julian Cope - Peggy Suicide

FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Posts: 12,223
edited December 2006 in Other Music
This was the album that ended the eighties. I bought it at the time. It sprawls, it trips, it fucks up, it's loaded with filler, it relishes in its own excess, and it provides a fucking post-Thatcherite, beautiful double LP. And the gems? You'll find 'em in a riff, in a vault of noise, on the back of a motorcycle, in a Las Vegas Basement. ;)

I bought it on vinyl at the time. Jehovahkill got the plaudits, a year or so later, but Peggy Suicide - to me - is a good way of contextualising Ten and seeing how hip it actually was, in its moment.

Edit: oh, the year? 1991. :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    This was the album that ended the eighties. I bought it at the time. It sprawls, it trips, it fucks up, it's loaded with filler, it relishes in its own excess, and it provides a fucking post-Thatcherite, beautiful double LP. And the gems? You'll find 'em in a riff, in a vault of noise, on the back of a motorcycle, in a Las Vegas Basement. ;)

I bought it on vinyl at the time. Jehovahkill got the plaudits, a year or so later, but Peggy Suicide - to me - is a good way of contextualising Ten and seeing how hip it actually was, in its moment.

Edit: oh, the year? 1991. :)

much like the decade itself.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • But this album is 1991 in a nutshell! It's like Stone, between Mother Love Bone, and Ten, with a bit of Ed's Ridge Farm trippiness ... it's right at that period between retro glam and social conscience, if you know what I mean. :)
    But this album is 1991 in a nutshell! It's like Stone, between Mother Love Bone, and Ten, with a bit of Ed's Ridge Farm trippiness ... it's right at that period between retro glam and social conscience, if you know what I mean. :)

nope fins. i have no idea what you mean.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Ya had to be choosin' between velvet and flannel, or a shiny Jackson or a '62 Strat, to be ... just ... there .... March 1991 .... a specific moment in history ....
    when Kurt was just that Mark Arm impersonator at Reading the previous year ... difficult to explain a couple of weeks in musical history that mattered so much to musicians ...
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-1vEJB9svM

This was the one commercial song on the album. ;)
    ah now i see. i'm not a musician that's why i don't know what you mean. :)

but having worn flannel since the 80s, there never was a choice to be made.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • ah now i see. i'm not a musician that's why i don't know what you mean. :)

but having worn flannel since the 80s, there never was a choice to be made.

That was a Men at Work sorta thing, though, no? :p
    That was a Men at Work sorta thing, though, no? :p

no fins it wasn't. it was about being working class and what was termed a 'westie'.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • no fins it wasn't. it was about being working class and what was termed a 'westie'.

Were legwarmers part of the deal? :D
    Were legwarmers part of the deal? :D

i will never admit to legwarmers. NEVER!!! :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    ha ha leave it to you two ;) legwarmers?! lol