RIP John Lennon

constructiconconstructicon Posts: 49
edited December 2005 in Other Music
Yoko still sucks, though.
For Rent
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Yoko still sucks, though.

She is what she is, but let's still take a moment today to think about John. He used his celebrity to try to make people aware of something beyond their normal lives. His message was consistent and simple ... all you need is love ... give peace a chance.

In the newspaper this morning there was a picture of the vigil held 25 years ago on the Art Museum steps. I was there and remember feeling overwhelming sadness mixed with a kind of awe because so many people had come just to be silent together. You'd have to be a stone not to be moved by something that day.

I think John would have liked that.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • danedane Posts: 1,062
    I wish I could write something really profound about John Lennon,but I can't. Instead I'll quote a song by a danish band called Dizzy Mizz Lizzy, from their song "11:07 PM"

All hope was lost
    On a night in December
    Only a mad man to blame
    So many tears
    On that night in December
    But on cold foreign fields
    There's a flame
    So we always remember your name..............
    Roskilde 30-06-00
    Berlin 23-09-06
    Copenhagen 26-06-07
    :-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-
    "This is not wine that I'm drinking tonight. This is Gatorade!" EV-Copenhagen 26-06-07
  • thinking about it makes me sad although he was killed 11 months after i was born...

i just listened to abbey road..
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

http://epplehausradio.blogspot.com/

pearl jam @ the astoria, london, 20/04/06
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    Where do I start if I am just getting into his solo stuff? I've heard a handful of the most popular of his solo songs, but never a full album. I'm trying to decide between Plastic Ono Band, Imagine or the new Working Class Hero double best of album. Any suggestions?

Just put in Revolver since I don't have any of his solo albums.
  • "Imagine there's no heaven
    It's easy if you try
    No hell below us
    Above us only sky
    Imagine all the people
    Living for today...
    Imagine there's no countries
    It isn't hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion too
    Imagine all the people
    Living life in peace...

You may say I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope someday you'll join us
    And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
    I wonder if you can
    No need for greed or hunger
    A brotherhood of man
    Imagine all the people
    Sharing all the world...

You may say I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope someday you'll join us
    And the world will live as one"

"The dream is over
    What can I say?
    The dream is over
    Yesterday
    I was the dreamweaver
    But now I'm reborn
    I was the walrus
    But now I'm John
    And so dear friends
    You'll just have to carry on
    The dream is over"

-excerpt from "God"
    Forget your perfect offering, there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen
  • we need you john!!! We are in war, kids are dying, racism, sexism, classism, homophobia.
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    Been listening to The Beatles & solo John all morning....I can't help but cry. :( This man was truly SUCH a beauitful soul. How he was taken away from us makes me sick!!!!!! He has definitely left behind much to be remembered by. Without a doubt one of the greatest musical icons of the 20th century. Not to play favs but everyone has "their" Beatle and I must say John always stood out to me. How can you not love John?? He just demands your heart! An incredibly gifted songwriter, singer, poet, artist, author, guitarist, political activist. I've said it before and I'll say it again...he was just so, so much!

LENNON the LEGEND! A gorgeous soul that just wanted to live, love & educate us all with the idea of world peace. He was a legend that not only heavily influenced the development of rock music as a whole but he also heavily influenced people on what kind of lives they wanted to lead, what kind of people they wanted to be.

It's just beyond tragic and beyond a loss. He was someone that actually made the world a better place. I can't praise him enough. This will never make sense and we will never stop missing him.

His magic, love, life, hope, power and influence FOREVER LIVES ON!!

{{RIP JOHN}}
    :(

*~Watching The Wheels~*

People say I'm crazy doing what I'm doing,
    Well they give me all kinds of warnings to save me from ruin,
    When I say that I'm o.k. they look at me kind of strange,
    Surely your not happy now you no longer play the game,

People say I'm lazy dreaming my life away,
    Well they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me,
    When I tell that I'm doing Fine watching shadows on the wall,
    Don't you miss the big time boy you're no longer on the ball?

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round,
    I really love to watch them roll,
    No longer riding on the merry-go-round,
    I just had to let it go,

People asking questions lost in confusion,
    Well I tell them there's no problem,
    Only solutions,
    Well they shake their heads and they look at me as if I've lost my mind,
    I tell them there's no hurry...
    I'm just sitting here doing time,

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round,
    I really love to watch them roll,
    No longer riding on the merry-go-round,
    I just had to let it go.
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    long live john;) there's a station here playing a mix of his solo and beatles stuff all day. hard to believe he has been gone so long.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • this afternoon i just sat in my room and listened to Shaved Fish vinyl. this is probably the saddest story in music history. He did so much for the world and will be missed:( not to mention his music was brilliant

RIP John Lennon
  • CM1847 wrote:
    Where do I start if I am just getting into his solo stuff? I've heard a handful of the most popular of his solo songs, but never a full album. I'm trying to decide between Plastic Ono Band, Imagine or the new Working Class Hero double best of album. Any suggestions?

Just put in Revolver since I don't have any of his solo albums.

Most fans will probably tell you to either get "Imagine" or his debut solo album "Plastic Ono Band"

In my opinion, Plastic Ono Band is a far superior album. But it's also a lot harder to get into than "Imagine." But song for song POB is the way to go.

"Imagine" just seems to have filler songs like "How" "I Don't Wanna Be A Soldier" "It's So Hard" "Oh Yoko" whereas ever song on POB is brilliant
    "I'm a thief, and I dig it"
    It's already been said but it can't be said enough.....We miss you JOHN. :( This man was such a gift!

An artist in the true sense of the word & just an all around an amazing person that made a difference just by being, believing. That spirit/magic lives on....espeically in the brilliant, timeless, powerful music left behind.

Another one of my favs (such a huge catalogue of favs and greats to choose from!). I LOVE this song. So intense and powerful! *chills* I still say Ed seriously NEEEEEDS to cover this one. ;)

LOVE YOU JOHN!
    ::RememberLoveRememberLennon::

•(Working Class Hero)•

As soon as your born they make you feel small,
    By giving you no time instead of it all,
    Till the pain is so big you feel nothing at all,
    A working class hero is something to be,
    A working class hero is something to be.
    They hurt you at home and they hit you at school,
    They hate you if you're clever and they despise a fool,
    Till you're so fucking crazy you can't follow their rules,
    When they've tortured and scared you for twenty odd years,
    Then they expect you to pick a career,
    When you can't really function you're so full of fear,
    Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV,
    And you think you're so clever and classless and free,
    But you're still fucking peasents as far as I can see,
    There's room at the top they are telling you still,
    But first you must learn how to smile as you kill,
    If you want to be like the folks on the hill,
    If you want to be a hero well just follow me,
    If you want to be a hero well just follow me.

"If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal." ~ John Lennon

"I don't believe in killing whatever the reason!." ~ John Lennon

"If being an egomaniac means I believe in what I do and in my art or music, then in that respect you can call me that... I believe in what I do, and I'll say it.." ~ John Lennon

"The more I see the less I know for sure.." ~ John Lennon

"Part of me suspects that I'm a loser, and the other part of me thinks I'm God Almighty.." ~ John Lennon

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.." ~ John Lennon

"Love is a promise, love is a souvenir, once given never forgotten, never let it disappear." ~John Lennon

"Lo√e, you know the word

• I'm 23 years old...I work in finance, will be getting an MBA...and I'm totally not a hippie...

With that out of the way, I would like to say I'm a pretty liberal guy, and my three heroes are John F. Kennedy, Robert F. Kennedy, and John Lennon. Those three men are all invloved in some way to basically every event that occured in the 60's, quite possibly the most important decade in American history. All three were heavily involved in civil matters, and all three died young, leaving the world to question "What if???"

Lennon is, without question, the greatest songwriter of all time. I can still remember the first time I heard "Across the Universe"...my mouth hit the floor. Pure genius. Only recently did I really begin to look into his solo stuff. Even in my early twentites, I couldn't believe how relevant and amazing "Working Class Hero" is even today.

I think the saddest part of Lennon's death is the hundreds of songs the world will never get to hear...

Rest in peace, John...we love you.

A working class hero is something to be...
    I'm a cunning linguist.
  • I had to share the most powerful experience I have ever had at a concert. I went to the Bridge School in October 2001 and for the finale, Neil Young brought all of the artists back on stage and they played Imagine on their acoustic guitars while the words to the song were displayed on the big screens and the audience sang. I could barely sing through the tears. Such an amazing experience from such an amazing song from such an amazing man. We miss you so much John and can't imagine how many more amazing songs were stolen from your lips. RIP.
    Can't escape from the common rule
    If you hate something...don't you do it too
  • She is what she is, but let's still take a moment today to think about John. He used his celebrity to try to make people aware of something beyond their normal lives. His message was consistent and simple ... all you need is love ... give peace a chance.

In the newspaper this morning there was a picture of the vigil held 25 years ago on the Art Museum steps. I was there and remember feeling overwhelming sadness mixed with a kind of awe because so many people had come just to be silent together. You'd have to be a stone not to be moved by something that day.

I think John would have liked that.

Funny the national media here in the USA pays attention to John lennon's assasination, but all but ignores the JFK one. Oh yeah, that's right., they were part of the cover up with the Warren Commission. Come on everyone, wake up, JFK and John Lennon were men of peace, and although it seems Lennon was the victim of a lone nut, JFK def was not shot by LHO, and I am sick of the double standard so to speak that occurs each year on the anniversary of these men's deaths. NO MENTION OF JFK, but they def talk about Lennon, in fact the media ignore RFK's death and MLK's death too.

"Who's got the Brain of JFK"?
  • Server: apps2.colabnet.com
    file: /lezweb/20051201-workingclasshero.mp3
    http://apps2.colabnet.com/lezweb/20051201-workingclasshero.mp3

Dance and Sing along with Shed Devils at http://www.sheddevils.com/
  • Lennon Rocked. Enuf said.
  • just wanted to share this quote before i head off for bed :)

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
  • MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    The radio station here in the Bay Area did a tribute to Lennon today for an hour. It was artists that covered Beatles/Lennon stuff. They even played Pj-I've Got A Feeling, which they hardly play. At the end of the hour, they played Imagine. I almost started to cry, but instead, I sang along w/the lyrics.

What he sang was about peace. About people getting along. No war. No hate. Just peace! his dream, our dream, is attainable! :) His music, his words, still live in all of us today, whenever we play one of his songs, we are reminded of him, and the beautiful music he had created w/the Beatles and with himself.

John Winston Ono Lennon will forever live in our hearts and in our minds. He was a true activist who was not afraid to say what was on his mind. He was just talking about peace and people wanted to hurt him....that to this day, I really don't understand.

RIP John...your memory will live forever in your music.
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
    Yes, before I sign off for the night I, too, wanted to come on one last time and express my complete love and respect for the beautiful soul, the legend, one of the greatest songwriters EVER, one of THE greatest people EVER, the working class hero himself....JOHN LENNON!!!!!

((((((((I LOVE YOU JOHN!!!!!!)))))))

May your gorgeous soul rest in piece. We miss you and NEVER will you be forgotten. Your greatness lives on in oh so many forms. THANK YOU for everything you gave, everything you shared..which was SO MUCH!!!!

Remember LOVE.
    Remember LENNON.

That we will...the 2 go hand in hand! :)

{**ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE**}

Love, love, love.
    Love, love, love.
    Love, love, love.

There’s nothing you can do that can’t be done.
    Nothing you can sing that can’t be sung.
    Nothing you can say but you can learn how to play the game.
    It’s easy.

Nothing you can make that can’t be made.
    No one you can save that can’t be saved.
    Nothing you can do but you can learn how to be you in time.
    It’s easy.

All you need is love.
    All you need is love.
    All you need is love, love.
    Love is all you need.

All you need is love.
    All you need is love.
    Love is all you need.

Nothing you can know that isn’t known.
    Nothing you can see that isn’t shown.
    Nowhere you can be that isn’t where you’re meant to be.
    It’s easy.

All you need is love.
    All you need is love.
    Love is all you need.

All you need is love (all together, now!)
    All you need is love. (everybody!)
    Love is all you need (love is all you need).

Yee-hai!
    Oh yeah!
    She loves you, yeah yeah yeah.
    She loves you, yeah yeah yeah.

"Lo√e, you know the word

• VONVON Posts: 259
    John's life inspires me to be a better person. He made the world a better place. I wish I could have been around when he was. R.I.P JOHN