-X- Concert Review

SadlipSadlip Posts: 17
edited May 2008 in Other Music
Maybe I'm spoiled as a PJ fan, or that my last few concerts attended were awesome (Rogue Wave, The Hives, Chris Cornell, The Misfits), but the X show on Saturday night in NYC was not up to par.

I'll admit, I'm a "new" fan, having first heard of them when Eddie covered Poor Girl and Devil Doll, and PJ covered The New World. Since, I've gotten into their other music, and was really excited to attend their 31st anniversary tour, especially at Irving Plaza, one of my fave all time venues.

Opening act, The Detroit Cobras, were so-so. Their style is mo-town style covers, some good, some not so good, but the crowd wasn't having it. Basically a hard core punk crowd. (note: the lead singer almost knocked me down during X's set, didn't realize it was her until after!)

X came on around 10:30, and opened up on fire. That pace quickly slowed. The band was tight and sounded great, but the vocals were awful. Exena and John Doe's mics were way too loud. Since they're really not known as great singers, combine that with age and loud mics, and the performance was unbearable at times.

Los Angeles, Soul Kitchen, White Girl and a few other crowd favorites went over really well.

But overall, the crowd seemed restless. Get a bunch of folks in their mid-40s on date night, babysitters at home, and they think they're back in the late 1970's, with no regard for others around them. Pushing, shoving, etc. Not cool. I feel like younger crowds are actually more respectful.

I'm ranting. In short, I'm glad I got to see X, and I'm glad it's over and done with. If they come to your town, probably best to stay home and pop in Live from Los Angeles, a live album, though only from a few years ago, shows the band at a much higher level.
9/8/98 East Rutherford
8/24/00 Jones Beach
10/13/00 MSG-Nader Rally
7/9/03 MSG
10/1/04 Reading
6/1/06 East Rutherford
6/3/06 East Rutherford
7/1/08 Beacon
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,563
    X would have been good 15 years ago or even later, but now I think that's the best you're going to get.

I like the Cobras though. Pretty cool cover band.
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,977
    Sadlip wrote:
    I'm ranting. In short, I'm glad I got to see X, and I'm glad it's over and done with.
    There was a time when I absolutely adored X. Live at the Whisky a Go-Go and See How We Are are still favorites of mine. But, you're right - it's over for them. I bought the 25 year DVD and ended up giving it to my tattoo guy.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • SadlipSadlip Posts: 17
    Haha gave it to your tattoo guy! Nice!

Just to note on the Cobras, they probably would have been more enjoyable with a different crowd. Hard to get into it when people around you are poo-pooing it:)
    9/8/98 East Rutherford
    8/24/00 Jones Beach
    10/13/00 MSG-Nader Rally
    7/9/03 MSG
    10/1/04 Reading
    6/1/06 East Rutherford
    6/3/06 East Rutherford
    7/1/08 Beacon
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,977
    Sadlip wrote:
    Haha gave it to your tattoo guy! Nice!

http://pussykat-tattoos.com/artists.html

He fronts a punk band, here in Vegas. Thought he might appreciate some Old School.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • mensanemensane Posts: 912
    Sadlip wrote:
    ...Since they're really not known as great singers...

are you f-ing kidding me? John Doe is a FANTASTIC singer. his voice is amazing...makes me melt.

it sucks that you didnt have a good time. a bad crowd has a LOT to do with how a show goes.

i saw them on this tour-twice-(they played 2 nights at the showbox), and i would have gone to a third and fourth if they played them.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    X is one of the all-time best bands to ever come out of L.A......sure, they are aging, but they still put on a great show.

The fact that they still draw decent crowds after 31 years speaks for itself!

Damn kids don't know whats what these days!
    :)
  • SadlipSadlip Posts: 17
    Bad crowd definitely had a lot to do with it, but still, in my opinion, John Doe is not a fantastic singer. Decent, yes, but not fantastic.
    9/8/98 East Rutherford
    8/24/00 Jones Beach
    10/13/00 MSG-Nader Rally
    7/9/03 MSG
    10/1/04 Reading
    6/1/06 East Rutherford
    6/3/06 East Rutherford
    7/1/08 Beacon