Options

John Butler

MikeyyyyMikeyyyy Posts: 6
edited February 2006 in Other Music
anyone listen to this guy? he kicks ass
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    We've been listening to him in australia for years. I don't know if I like the direction he's going in though. His lyrics are improving a bit, but the music has lost a bit of its original organic, spontaneous sound.

Awesome live show though. 15 - 20 minute versions of most songs are the norm. The trouble is that they're so huge in Aus now that they only play big festivals and venues. No more little pub gigs these days.
    It doesn't matter if you're male, female, or confused; black, white, brown, red, green, yellow; gay, lesbian; redneck cop, stoned; ugly; military style, doggy style; fat, rich or poor; vegetarian or cannibal; bum, hippie, virgin; famous or drunk-you're either an asshole or you're not!

-C Addison
  • Options
    Great stuff, but I'll agree with Scuba Scott...their newest album seems a bit like JB is becoming self-indulgent...he can't do a jam, or a 2 minute drum solo...it's all acoustic guitar and his vocals.
    Still incredibly talented, but Three is a much more solid record I think. But compared to much of the popular filth out there, JBT is a refreshing change. Highly recommended by muah!
    "The whole world will be different soon"
  • Options
    sunrise over sea was one of the best albums of 05
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • Options
    Nice to see he has a following in the states. He's actually American-born. He only moved to Australia when he was twelve. His accent is totally confusing.

I loved sunrise over sea too, but it seems a little bit too produced to me. I love the older stuff where they just jammed away for five, ten even fifteen minutes at a time. Some of the songs sound almost completely improvised, which is great.

And they really are amazing live. I remember at the Blues festival in Byron bay a couple of years ago they had already gone a good 20 minutes over their alloted time slot, but the crowd wouldn't shut up, so they came back for a second encore and did 'Take'. The drum 'solo' is actually a drum trio. John and the bass player (I forget who it was at the time) put their instuments down and picked up drums, and the three of them jammed away with the drummer for a good five minutes.
    It doesn't matter if you're male, female, or confused; black, white, brown, red, green, yellow; gay, lesbian; redneck cop, stoned; ugly; military style, doggy style; fat, rich or poor; vegetarian or cannibal; bum, hippie, virgin; famous or drunk-you're either an asshole or you're not!

-C Addison