Gillian Welch

soclosesoclose Posts: 628
edited January 2008 in Other Music
Does anyone else here adore this woman? I can't get over the beautiful simplicity of her music, the timeless sound, and my god do I love that voice! I'd like to extend a thank you to Ryan Adams for introducing me to this fabulous woman. If it wasn't for Heartbreaker and/or his version of "Time (The Revelator)" I may never of paid her a bit of attention.

Are there any rumors of a new album out there? I tried a quick search, but nothing popped up. I see she and David have been pretty busy performing - I hope that's a good sign?

Also, if anyone has any suggestions of other musicians with similar sensibilities (even male vocalists are fine) I'd be interested. Please share.:)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    I did wind up grabbing Time off eMusic. It is music that is out of my element however no denying the beauty of it. I will probably get the other one I think I saw out there.

I would no question, seek out Christine Fellows - Paper Anniversary. It has the sparse-like quality however it doesn't have a country-ish feel. A lot of piano and her voice is spectacular. Paper Anniversary is a stunner.
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    I went ahead and added the Christine Fellows album to my Save For Later List. The description sounds interesting - I'll check out the samples a little later. Thanks!

I'm glad you enjoyed Time. Definitely check out some more of her music when you have spare downloads. I'm pretty sure all four of her albums are up on emusic. In fact, I just downloaded Revival this afternoon. That's what inspired me to start a thread!
    cool! I didn't know she was out on eMusic. IIRC she is married to the guy in the Weakerthans (which are a must to check out IMO).

If you don't have it yet, look at Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings the Flood. another beautiful listen. this is also on eMusic and may fit the criteria you are looking for.
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Me too! I can' wait for X-File 2 to come out! I think it's next summer!!
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

Transplant, I adore Neko as well! I have Fox Confessor and Blacklisted - both gorgeous. I think she may have the single most beautiful voice I've ever heard.

This is really moving into the country/bluegrass side, but since you like those two I'd recommend Alison Krauss if you're not familiar. She's another really elegant musician, and she's collaborated with and performed a song or two of Gillians. I'd like to hear her with Neko!
    soclose wrote:
    This is really moving into the country/bluegrass side, but since you like those two I'd recommend Alison Krauss if you're not familiar.
    I have the disc she did with Robert Plant however that CD is buried under a bunch of others I haven't gotten to yet. if you have this, how would it compare with her solo work? I'll try to get this to the top of the heap.

I have to admit, I have issues with Bluegrass. I can take it very small doses. Would you say Alison Krauss leans more towards bluegrass than Gillian Welch? I have no problem with artists using elements of it on occasion, but it can't dominate.
  • Big fan of Gillian. Her and David are amazing live. I saw them in LA a couple years ago and they played some new songs but I haven't heard anything about a new record. It's been a while.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
    hailhail82 wrote:
    Big fan of Gillian. Her and David are amazing live. I saw them in LA a couple years ago and they played some new songs but I haven't heard anything about a new record. It's been a while.

That's great! I'd love to see them live some day.:)

And to sort of answer one of my own questions, I just heard a a song from a group called Freakwater. Acoustic country/folk with two great female voices. I may have to check them out further.
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    soclose wrote:
    Also, if anyone has any suggestions of other musicians with similar sensibilities (even male vocalists are fine) I'd be interested. Please share.:)

Welch and Rawlings are great. Try to see them live if you can. Rawlings is one of the best guitarists I've ever seen.

I recommend Iris DeMent. She has 4 albums out. My favorite is her second and it's called My Life.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
    Yefa wrote:
    Welch and Rawlings are great. Try to see them live if you can. Rawlings is one of the best guitarists I've ever seen.

I recommend Iris DeMent. She has 4 albums out. My favorite is her second and it's called My Life.

Thanks for the suggestion:)