Kings of Leon car commercial

Lloyd DoblerLloyd Dobler Posts: 11
edited January 2008 in Other Music
Ohhh man, I know it is almost a must these days for a band to license their music commercially to reach a broader audience, but I just heard KOL on a damn Ford Focus commercial! That sucks. I know it is pretty dumb, but when I hear a band I like on a commercial, I feel like the secret is out, and I wasn't even the one that got to spill it!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,267
    i felt the same way damm why them i know $$$$ but still so have they jumped the shark ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • i JUST came here to post this topic. WTF!! im dissapointed.
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    Which song?

I think I heard the Foos in a car commercial today.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    meme wrote:
    Which song?

I think I heard the Foos in a car commercial today.

Ford Focus ... Red Morning Light http://youtube.com/watch?v=M5KSuurxNVE

VW Jetta - Molly's Chambers http://youtube.com/watch?v=HDhoS6eAdyE

edit .... for the record, I get jazzed when I hear a band I love on a commercial ... and, both of these songs are off their first album ... notoff the last two ... I don't mind it one bit.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • maybe you need to enter king's of leon here:

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?p=5142326#post5142326
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    Band of horses, Wilco, PJ, The Who and Zeppelin are other bands that I have heard on car commercials. Everyone is doing it these days.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Zoso wrote:
    Band of horses, Wilco, PJ, The Who and Zeppelin are other bands that I have heard on car commercials. Everyone is doing it these days.
    do they see how lame it comes off sounding or is there vision impaired by the dollar signs in there face?

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

• ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    do they see how lame it comes off sounding or is there vision impaired by the dollar signs in there face?

I dont agree with it at all I mean Bob Dylan doing Victoria Secret commercials or something... It's the way of the world.. I think the only artist who wouldn't ever touch that commercial side is Neil Young.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    do bands always have say in what gets used?

is it their mgmt?

the label?
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Zoso wrote:
    I dont agree with it at all I mean Bob Dylan doing Victoria Secret commercials or something... It's the way of the world.. I think the only artist who wouldn't ever touch that commercial side is Neil Young.
    and hopefully pj. . .i dont think they'd ever do something like that

• memememe Posts: 4,695
    jimed14 wrote:
    Ford Focus ... Red Morning Light http://youtube.com/watch?v=M5KSuurxNVE

VW Jetta - Molly's Chambers http://youtube.com/watch?v=HDhoS6eAdyE

edit .... for the record, I get jazzed when I hear a band I love on a commercial ... and, both of these songs are off their first album ... notoff the last two ... I don't mind it one bit.

Ah, thanks!

Well, at least they are fuel efficient vehicles :o

And I think everyone should get a pass for VW commercials, they are just so damn good :)
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    That sucks.

I think what people don;t get is sure The Who and bands like that have always done it, but KOL have been so low key for years. I mean I've never seen a commercial advertising for them, or heard them on the radio.

I had respect for KOL for just that reason. Now I gotta say I lost a lot of it.
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    Selling out really ain't what it use to be. Bands don't make too much money these days (compared to the old days). If we want these up and coming bands to continue putting out records I think that's just the way it's going to be. Or we'll just have to wait longer as they'll no doubt be too busy with their nine to fives to write new material.

I do wish they hadn't but just saying I'm not surprised and don't hold it against a band like I would have 4 years ago.
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    Selling out really ain't what it use to be. Bands don't make too much money these days (compared to the old days). If we want these up and coming bands to continue putting out records I think that's just the way it's going to be. Or we'll just have to wait longer as they'll no doubt be too busy with their nine to fives to write new material.

I do wish they hadn't but just saying I'm not surprised and don't hold it against a band like I would have 4 years ago.
    that's exactly what i was going to say. i know that ben from band of horses stated this as being the reason they allowed ford to use their song "the funeral" in a commercial...and that he needed a new truck and was a fan of ford.

i get a bit disappointed when i hear my fav bands in commercials...but i still love them :)
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    Isn't the KOL "Molly's Chambers" jetta ad about three years old? It's at least two..

Moby had to sell his music to commercials early on in order to get his music heard. It was the only way, and then people started to take notice of him.

How about Postal Service (Such Great Heights) being used for UPS or someone like that..

Death Cab for Cutie have a current Jetta ad..

You know, I wrote an essay about this back when I was 15 years old - about how all these great songs were being used in ads...and that one day, you'll know the top 40 songs from ads on TV...
    be philanthropic
  • r2g2r2g2 Posts: 66
    Hmmm, I always thought the song "Camero" from Because of the Times should be used when the new Camero rolls out.

As far as bands in commercials go...Things are different now.
    I said Yeaaaaaaah!
  • why do people care? is it really that big of a deal that your little known secret is let out? be happy for the bands getting some recognition. as henry rollins said, "pay them double and pay them now." they deserve it.
    music. love. life.

the stickman's ghost: www.myspace.com/yield1914
  • I don't really care all that much. It is more difficult these days to get noticed and set yourself apart, so I understand why bands have to, or feel like they have to put themselves out there. I was trying to be careful not to use the words "sell out" in the original post. I know The Who is all over commercials and all the CSI shows, and other newer bands I like, like Band of Horses, are in commercials too. I guess it feels to me like if more people know about it, it just makes it less appealing. It will be like when parents use terms to relate to younger generations. Nothing is as uncool as my 60 year old dad saying shit like "what's the 411?" etc. I am glad they (the bands) are getting more recognition, just don't posers to jump on the band wagon and act like they discovered the band and were fans from day one.
  • as long as bands dont change their music to make more money, i couldnt care less where i hear it.

KOL is on Cloverfield a lot too.

and they fucking rock
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910

You know, I wrote an essay about this back when I was 15 years old - about how all these great songs were being used in ads...and that one day, you'll know the top 40 songs from ads on TV...

"1,2,3,4 tell me that you love me more"

I wish I could still get bent out of shape about the whole "selling tunes for profit" thing. But I understand it now....sadly

All I can ask for is that a band still writes tunes that I enjoy. As soon they actually "sell out" musically is when I decide to move on.

We have to admit "the Funeral" is like...the best song ever. I'd pay them to play it at my funeral....though my mom would be pissed:)

Note: Mr Smiths comment above me is spot on, but I missed it before I posted
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • oktacomaoktacoma Posts: 335
    MrSmith wrote:
    as long as bands dont change their music to make more money, i couldnt care less where i hear it.
    I agree with this point. And to the person who has lost respect for KOL for having their song in a commercial, that's obviously up to you, but I think it's sad. It seems like your appreciation for them is based a bit too much on them being "low key" and somewhat "unknown," which seem like pretentious reasons to like a band. I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I also don't see why you would like their music any less because it's in a commercial.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    If people didn't "steal" music, bands would be less likely to look to other sources of income.
  • JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    If people didn't "steal" music, bands would be less likely to look to other sources of income.

Exactly! Whilst I understand people being upset, things aren't how they used to be at all, even bands who are seemingly famous have to work hard to keep their heads above water.

I remember Ed saying around the time of Roskilde that the only reason they decided to play a few festivals on that tour was so that they could actually make some money from the tour. Now if a big band like PJ is having trouble covering all the costs, imagine what it's like for a band of KOL's stature.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    as long as the bands keep making good music
    that people get more or less for free

I have no problem with licensing out songs