Damien Rice

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited August 2008 in Other Music
Probably one of the best musicians making music today. Only has 2 albums O and 9, but would be hard pressed to find any other bands or singers making more emotional or bluntly spinetingling and intense music as he is.

While his decision to fire lisa continues to make me dislike him personally, he is able to, through song convey some deep stuff. Something about his songs conjurs up some pretty intense emotions and images.

I am looking forward to the release of the 10 days to barcelona disc.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    One of the best live performers I have ever seen.....incredibly powerful voice.....

o and 9 are 2 of my all time favourite albums......

Accidental Babies has to be one of the most beautiful songs ever recorded.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    would be hard pressed to find any other bands or singers making more emotional or bluntly spinetingling and intense music as he is.
    Elliott Smith. :p

Rice is alright, but I find I can only listen to him in small doses. I don't know why, but he's not a singer songwriter that really grabs me.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • Gold 26Gold 26 Posts: 676
    Yeah, Accidental Babies & Amie. Beautiful.
    All my favourite singers have stolen all of my best lines.
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    love the guy to bits. cant get my head around lisa leaving, but solo stuff from her is on the way so thats good. But songs like I Remember and 9 crimes arent the same without her.

her voice owned on those, and Then Go.

If you like Damien Rice you should look up Juniper ...... its Bell X1 & Rice songs with different arrangements, effects, and sometimes Rice & Paul Noonan (Bell X1 singer) sing the others' songs. interesting versions of songs on O and 9 are out there
  • Probably one of the best musicians making music today. Only has 2 albums O and 9, but would be hard pressed to find any other bands or singers making more emotional or bluntly spinetingling and intense music as he is.

While his decision to fire lisa continues to make me dislike him personally, he is able to, through song convey some deep stuff. Something about his songs conjurs up some pretty intense emotions and images.

Tell me more about this 10 days disc? Is it similar to the live EPs he did at Fingerprints and The Union Chapel?
  • the 10 days to barcelona concept is this:

"On June 1st 2008, myself and my friends Ryan (images) & Mia (navigation) set off on a last-minute road trip from Dublin to Barcelona, squished into my little ol' mini with a portable recording studio. The idea is to stop off along the way in random places where I have to write and record a new song every day, either in the mini or outdoors on a rock or something. 10 days = 10 songs = album Nuevo. We'll update as we go... if we're anywhere near an internet connection that is. We hope to arrive in Barcelona on June 10th, or at least in time to go see Radiohead play on June 12th and then fly home for the Leonard Cohen dates. Yay!

he posted 10 short clips on his website for each of the 10 days. now we just have to wait for him to release the record!
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    See the band live, they really are something else.
    Did he 'fire' Lisa? Just, at a gig someone shouted out where is she, and he explained that she was making her own music that was inside her and needed to come out....I don't know either way but it sounded like nothing more than two artists who reached the end of their collaboration...
    Every thing he's put out is just awesome, O, 9, Fingerprints, Union Chapel, Unplayed Piano.....the guy is astonishing imo.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    jamie uk wrote:
    See the band live, they really are something else..

Easily one of the best I've ever seen.....

Always makes me roll my eyes when people call Damien Rice 'boring'.....see him live with his band, he'll blow you away.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • QballQball Posts: 283
    Best show I've ever seen was a Damien Rice show at the opera house in Boston. Better than MSG 03 and that is the greatest Pearl Jam show I've ever seen. I've seen damien Rice 5 times and he is easily one of my favorites. He and Ray Lamontagne are my two favorite singer/songwriters of the new decade. Both have such strong voices and are great live. Damien can have the tendency to jam a little too much for me at times though. I've seen some mediocre shows and some great ones.
    If you have never heard Damien Rice buy his studio albums including his B-sides album that they sell at local record stores. Songs like "the professor" and "Woman like a man" are amazing. Also get his "Live at fingerprints" album. It is amazing and I have listened to it for about 2 months straight.
  • Probably one of the best musicians making music today. Only has 2 albums O and 9, but would be hard pressed to find any other bands or singers making more emotional or bluntly spinetingling and intense music as he is.

I was(and still am) pretty pissed about him firing lisa as well but the fact of the matter is she makes his songs better and more emotional and pretty but he doesn't need her, he is just as good without her.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • jamie uk wrote:
    See the band live, they really are something else.
    Did he 'fire' Lisa? Just, at a gig someone shouted out where is she, and he explained that she was making her own music that was inside her and needed to come out....I don't know either way but it sounded like nothing more than two artists who reached the end of their collaboration...
    Every thing he's put out is just awesome, O, 9, Fingerprints, Union Chapel, Unplayed Piano.....the guy is astonishing imo.

pretty sure he fired her.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • maccimacci Posts: 1,057
    Damo rocks! He puts on a great live show for sure!

I was bummed about Lisa too, but what are you going to do?

She wanted to pursue a solo career for awhile.....and I just read she is opening for Jason Mraz on his upcoming US tour.
    My lips are shaking.......
  • roarroar Posts: 1,116
    macci wrote:
    Damo rocks! He puts on a great live show for sure!

I was bummed about Lisa too, but what are you going to do?

She wanted to pursue a solo career for awhile.....and I just read she is opening for Jason Mraz on his upcoming US tour.

Correct. :) I'll be seeing her open on November 9th.
    She has a new album coming out on September 12th.
  • DjangoDjango Posts: 152
    I'm not a big fan but he's really good at what he does.

I really like the song, childish where he takes the piss out of his serious singer/songwriter persona.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d68vys5HAXM

He's not so serious after all....
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    Django wrote:
    I'm not a big fan but he's really good at what he does.

I really like the song, childish where he takes the piss out of his serious singer/songwriter persona.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d68vys5HAXM

He's not so serious after all....

hehe, classic.

reading this thread makes me remember the first time i saw him - in a record store near my house, in summer of 99...playing songs solo for 50 people, no-one really new who he was. stranger to him we may have been, but im sure those 50-odd people also listen to him as much as i do almost 10 years later
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    fowls wrote:
    Elliott Smith. :p

I dont think he is making music anymore, not since he died anyway.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • I saw him twice last year, once at Bonnaroo outdoors - great show but not mind-blowing. Then I saw him at the Ryman in Nashville with the full band - absolutely mind blowing. He is an amazing performer and his songs are so moving. He is definitely one of the most talented song writers of his time.