Conor Oberst

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited August 2008 in Other Music
What is the consensus on his new "solo" record?

Have heard its more mainstream than previous albums
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    There's a thread a few pages back which sunk like a stone, but I've heard the new album since then I'll reply anyway.

I LOVE it. It's great, much better than Cassadaga. Lenders In The Temple may be the best Conor/Bright Eyes song yet, it's like Elliott Smith covering Simon & Garfunkel. I was surprised there aren't any cool production quirks, apart from that Popocatepetl bit in Souled Out!!!, but then again it isn't a Bright Eyes record. I'd say it's more tradition folk than usual BE/Conor work, but I wouldn't say it's more mainstream, his lyrical character is still there.

The only track that feels out of place is I Don't Wanna Die In The Hospital, which is also one of the only track that doesn't follow the Mexico theme. Not really sure why it came into the final cut, feels more like a B Side to be honest. Well that and the stupid Reuben's song, why the conch shell?!
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • conor's new album is probably my favorite album that Conor has put out. Its very good, chilled. he sounds like Bob Dylan on some songs and Tom petty on others. I like it. Get Well Cards may be my favorite Conor/bright eyes song