Good Christmas albums

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited November 2007 in Other Music
Dont get me wrong, I love the classics, but has any modern band or musician made a good christmas album or song?

Is the Sufjan Stevens 5 disc set any good?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i made a great Christmas mix cd a few years back w/ some cool modern non-Christmas songs that sorta are Christmas songs to me.

here's what i remember being on the cd not in order:

Queens Of The Stone Age-This Lullabye
    PJ-Someday At Christmas
    U2-Come Home For Christmas
    Elvis-Blue Christmas
    PJ-Don't Believe In Christmas (live)
    PJ-Drifting
    PJ-Strangest Tribe
    CKY-Santa's Coming
    The Kinks-Father Christmas
    The Waitresses-Christmas Wrapping
    Joey Ramone-Don't Worry 'Bout Me
    Joey Ramone-What A Wonerful World
    PJ-Let Me Sleep
    Eddie & South African Choir-Better Man
    SPringsteen-Merry Christmas Baby
    Springsteen-Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
    John Lennon-So This Is Christmas
    The Sonics-Don't Believe In Christmas
    The Sonics-Santa Claus
  • John Denver & The Muppets.
    Cock Fight.
  • Duder5kDuder5k Posts: 278
    I don't know about Modern, or specifically Christmas, but I think Vitalogy is a good winter sounding album. Even the cover itself is winter green. Also, Alice In Chains' self-titled/Tripod CD from 1995 has some really Winter sounding songs on it as well. That's all I can think of.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    The South Park Christmas album is the shits!!!!
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    no. becos there is nothing more lame and less rock and roll than singing songs about frosty, rudolph, stockings over firelight, baby jesus, or whatever other lame-ass feel-good christmas cliches you want to spout. any band that would record a whole xmas album is lame.
  • Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers Christmas
    Elvis Presley Blue Christmas
    NKOTB - FUnky ChriStMas
    Alabamas- Christmas (thistle hair the christmas bear)

grew up on all those and they are great.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    the very special christmas compilations are great....:)

oh and ss....."lighten up, francis" ;):p:D
  • Chicago's is cool.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • I was listening to Bjork's Gling Glo the other day... and I was thinking that that would be a good Christmas album... but other than that, I know it's not modern, but of course the Beach Boys album is really swiiiit.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • I'm just doing a mixtape for a cd swap, and when talking about christmas-y songs this one sort of has to be in: http://www.box.net/shared/lbxylhilxh, Bright Eyes-version that is
    Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your own home.
  • I don't know about album but Fairytale of New York by the Pogues rocks my socks off.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    Mew - She Came Home For Christmas.

It's not much about christmas, more about rape (at least from my interpretation of the lyrics), but great song none the less.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • Barbara Streisand "A Christmas Album"

seriously... the best christmas album ever.... :)

*ducks*
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    Anne Murray's X-mas album rocks!
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    fowls wrote:
    Mew - She Came Home For Christmas.

It's not much about christmas, more about rape.
    I laughed so hard at this :D
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I laughed so hard at this :D
    Yeah, I really didn't sell that song well...
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • no. becos there is nothing more lame and less rock and roll than singing songs about frosty, rudolph, stockings over firelight, baby jesus, or whatever other lame-ass feel-good christmas cliches you want to spout. any band that would record a whole xmas album is lame.

Debbie Downer.
    Cock Fight.
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    even flow? wrote:
    Anne Murray's X-mas album rocks!

True .......I just wish she would clean it up a little so the kids could listen too!
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    Low- Christmas
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    tybird wrote:
    The South Park Christmas album is the shits!!!!

I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE