Teen Angst

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited May 2008 in Other Music
Whats interesting, is how most of the bands or musicians who embody this idea, who speak about it, and sing about it, are themselves not teens but older people.

When 10 or Nevermind or Siamese Dream and mellon collie came out you had people saying Ed, Kurt and Billy were speaking about teen angst. yet all three were in their twenties. Same goes with the current crop of emo bands who get tagged with the labels, most are in their twenties and thirties.

Bright eyes certainly isnt a teen

Why do the people who speak to teens in this manner, people who teens can relate to, who provide solace and hope, why are these people not teens?

Pretty bizaare if you think about it.

Kurt was being called a spokesman for a generation, but that generation was younger than him in a way, age wise
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    probably just because a 15 year old is not going to become famous anywhere near as easy as a group of 25 yr olds.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • There are a lot of young rappers about. A lot of teenagers listen to them.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    quarter life crisis angst
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    Teens are too inexperienced to have angst; they don't deserve sympathy, sorry.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Well I'm 26 and I still feel like I'm in my teens........which probably isn't a good thing, but what ya gonna do?
  • Teens are too inexperienced to have angst; they don't deserve sympathy, sorry.

Bullshit.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Teens are too inexperienced to have angst; they don't deserve sympathy, sorry.
    Every opinion you express on here is confounding and laughable.

Don't take that as an insult, merely a statement.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Well I'm 26 and I still feel like I'm in my teens........which probably isn't a good thing, but what ya gonna do?
    i'm turning 28 next month and i feel at times like a teenager...but also a loser who should grow the fuck up. many times recentley i've felt like i'm "catching up" to my coworkers who are in their 40s and 50s!
  • russmcrussmc Posts: 91
    probably just because a 15 year old is not going to become famous anywhere near as easy as a group of 25 yr olds.
    Didn't Ben Kweller do it?
    Surreal Art that Entices the Mind
    http://www.russmcintosh.com
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Whats interesting, is how most of the bands or musicians who embody this idea, who speak about it, and sing about it, are themselves not teens but older people.

When 10 or Nevermind or Siamese Dream and mellon collie came out you had people saying Ed, Kurt and Billy were speaking about teen angst. yet all three were in their twenties. Same goes with the current crop of emo bands who get tagged with the labels, most are in their twenties and thirties.

Bright eyes certainly isnt a teen

Why do the people who speak to teens in this manner, people who teens can relate to, who provide solace and hope, why are these people not teens?

Pretty bizaare if you think about it.

Kurt was being called a spokesman for a generation, but that generation was younger than him in a way, age wise

I think the implication that the bands you mention are 'speaking to teens' is not necessarily true. While the things they speak of resonate with what many teens may be feeling, who is to say people of other ages do not relate as well? The bands are expressing things they feel. I don't think a single one is setting out to target teens to be their audience.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008