Whats the deal with track lengths?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited November 2007 in Other Music
Many bands print the track length on the back of their cd covers. Whats the use of this? I have never bought an album based on this factor. Has anyone else? I mean, Whats the use of knowing that “The Boxer” is 5 minutes and 7 seconds on the Simon and Garfunkel greatest hits cd? What difference does it make it “Sweet Black Angel is 2:34 on the Stones Exile on Mainstreet album? Why does Ben Harper feel we need to know that Picture in a Frame is 4:37 on his Both Sides of the Gun album? Why do the Buzzcocks point out that “What ever happened to?” is 2:12 on the Singles going Steady cd? What difference does this make in the slightest? Does anyone here go to a CD store and look at the back of the albums and say “Oh, Marvin Gaye’s Whats Going On, on the album of the same name is only 4:00 I am not buying this record, then?”. I mean what the hell difference does it make?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    album length is a factor in how likely I am to enjoy an album. I would probably not be able to sit through the 28 songs on Napalm Death's Scum if they weren't about 40 seconds long so I probably wouldn't buy it otherwise.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • I know what you mean. It's handy on occasion to have the tracklengths somewhere in the liner notes but they're mostly unnecessary. And they do look a bit silly on the back of an album.
    uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɹ,ǝʍ 'punoɹ ʎɐʍ ɹǝɥʇo ǝɥʇ ןןɐ s,ʇı
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    i like to know. but also it occasionally comes into play if you're wondering if the version of the song on the cd is the one you're looking for.
  • i like to know. but also it occasionally comes into play if you're wondering if the version of the song on the cd is the one you're looking for.

took the words right out of my post!
    "It's all happening"
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Maybe so radio stations can fit it in where they want before a station break or know how long they have for an "other" break. It's just a tradition as well. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • wolfbear wrote:
    Maybe so radio stations can fit it in where they want before a station break or know how long they have for an "other" break. It's just a tradition as well. :)

radio stations don't use CD's anymore.
    "It's all happening"
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    radio stations don't use CD's anymore.
    Well then, there's still the tradition. ;)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Many bands print the track length on the back of their cd covers. Whats the use of this? I have never bought an album based on this factor. Has anyone else? I mean, Whats the use of knowing that “The Boxer” is 5 minutes and 7 seconds on the Simon and Garfunkel greatest hits cd? What difference does it make it “Sweet Black Angel is 2:34 on the Stones Exile on Mainstreet album? Why does Ben Harper feel we need to know that Picture in a Frame is 4:37 on his Both Sides of the Gun album? Why do the Buzzcocks point out that “What ever happened to?” is 2:12 on the Singles going Steady cd? What difference does this make in the slightest? Does anyone here go to a CD store and look at the back of the albums and say “Oh, Marvin Gaye’s Whats Going On, on the album of the same name is only 4:00 I am not buying this record, then?”. I mean what the hell difference does it make?

Wow.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    There is no way in hell this is worse than the fact that people get all stoked about the press release with album tracklisting. I mean sure you may the occasional "oh is that a cover?" or "wow I remember them playing it, so glad it made the album" but like otherwiseit's retarded, I like knowing how long a song is but that's probably cause I'm all rain and shit, however, if you're ever making tapes for your girlfriend in like 2002 than knowing how long a song is totally helps trust me on that one
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • mrwalkerb wrote:
    There is no way in hell this is worse than the fact that people get all stoked about the press release with album tracklisting. I mean sure you may the occasional "oh is that a cover?" or "wow I remember them playing it, so glad it made the album" but like otherwiseit's retarded, I like knowing how long a song is but that's probably cause I'm all rain and shit, however, if you're ever making tapes for your girlfriend in like 2002 than knowing how long a song is totally helps trust me on that one

you were still making tapes in 2002....no wonder you can't get laid. I was handing out CDR's in 1998.
    "It's all happening"
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    you were still making tapes in 2002....no wonder you can't get laid. I was handing out CDR's in 1998.

dude I was making tapes for my girlfriend because she had a tape deck in her car, and if anything it helped me get laid
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb