Whats the best indie music out there?

2»

Comments

• The best indie band I've heard (as in not on a major label) in recent times is Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster. They are psychobilly/punk/goth rock/indie/alternative in sound.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • You defined indie badly..because I still don't know what is indie. If someone could explain I'll be happy.

Indie used to mean that the band was on a "Do it yourself" or "Independent" record label. Independent from the major labels and music and entertainment conglomerates. Unfortunately a lot of the successful "Indie" labels were then purchased by the music and entertainment conglomerates so the original definition has lost its meaning. I think today it means more to be out of the mainstream then to actually refer to a band's label. There is a great book out there which talks about this very thing. Check it out sometime it's a great read.

Our Band Could Be Your Life: Scenes from the American Indie Underground 1981-1991 by Michael Azerrad
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-