Tori Amos

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited November 2007 in Other Music
Just sat down and listened to her entire discography. I am a big fan now. Her first few albums Little Earthquakes, Under the Pink and Boys for Pele, could be some of the most emotional records I have ever heard. Pretty intense. I hear she is awesome in concert as well, so I may have to check out her show one of these days. Whats your opinion on her last few records? Fans seem, from what I have read, to have felt like her last few were not up to par with her standard. Although no albums of hers matched the first three in terms of emotion and power, they all were good in my opinion. She also seems to have changed her style in the last few years. Making an album of songs about females, that were written by males, on Strange Little Girls, was a pretty cool thing.

I was a fan of Ani Difranco way before I became aware of Tori. I now, see they are very similar, both express political and personal issues in their music, and express it from a strong feminist point of view.

Anyone know her politics? Is she a Dem? Is she a radical? Who did she support in 2000 and 2004? Who is she supporting in 2008?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• sweetpotatosweetpotato Posts: 1,278
    welcome to a planet called tori. :) i live there, too.
    "Ladies and gentlemen, the President of the United States, Barack Obama."

"Obama's main opponent in this election on November 4th (was) not John McCain, it (was) ignorance."~Michael Moore

"i'm feeling kinda righteous right now. with my badass motherfuckin' ukulele!"
    ~ed, 8/7
  • OutOfBreathOutOfBreath Posts: 1,804
    Just now listening through "Little Earthquakes" for the first time, and I've had the good shivers several times already. Got to "Me and a gun" right now. This is intense, and I like intensity and sincerity. This woman seems to have it all. :)

Will progress to the next albums shortly. Most def candaidates to be boght in the near future.

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965

• Anyone know her politics? Is she a Dem? Is she a radical? Who did she support in 2000 and 2004? Who is she supporting in 2008?

Last thing I heard she was living permanently in Cornwall, in England....?
    www.myspace.com/clareobrienwright
    www.chriscornell.org.uk
  • eleonoraeleonora Posts: 3,198
    I`ve listened to her last album and it`s awesome, listening to her makes me relax-. beautiful songs like digital ghost, code red , dragon is incredible. I liked all the album. So I`ll have to listen to the other albums she did before, What do you recommend to me?
    " You, you are so special
    You have the talent to
    Make me feel like dirt
    And you, you use your
    Talent to dig me under
    And cover me with dirt.."
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    I'm not a big fan of the last two albums (thought he newest one has grown on me slightly), but Tori was hugely important to me as a teenager. I can't believe it's going on 10 years since I bought Choirgirl!

To the newer listeners, I'd recommend starting at the beginning with Little Earthquakes and working your way forward. It's interesting to trace her progression from that famous "girl and a piano" to the more fleshed out sound she's worked with in more recent years. My personal favorite is Boys for Pele, but I'd also say it's her most challenging, so probably not a great introduction unless your feeling adventurous. It took me a while to appreciate all that harpsichord!
  • mensanemensane Posts: 912
    i love tori amos. i didnt really care for the newest album though. the last one i really liked was scarlet's walk. she is AMAZING live. i am seeing her one week from today!!
  • "Icicle" is so erotic and yet so blasphemous
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • I love her new album - American Doll Posse. It's one of my top ten for 2007. Call me crazy, but I actually think this is my favorite Tori album out of them all.
  • She is quite good. I've seen her live several times, and she puts on a mean show. She is amazing on the piano and harpsichord and whatever else she plays, and her voice is haunting. Scarlets Walk, Choirgirl, and Boys for Pele are probably my faves.
  • SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    I like everything upto Scarletts Walk, but the last 2 albums haven't really done much for me.