Why do bands release E.P.'s?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited November 2007 in Other Music
I own thousands of cd’s, collected over many years. Not a single one of them is an E.P. Whats the deal with bands releasing E.P.’s? Why not release a full album? Maybe I am odd here. Does anyone else here not buy E.P.’s? I also cant think of any good E.P.’s beyond maybe Jars of Flies by Alice in Chains. Beyond that, I cant think of anything else worthwhile. In fact, it seems to me, I avoid buying E.P.’s, in my mind they are a waste of money. A band should release only LP’s. Its always frustrating, especially with non label bands, non signed bands, you go to a local show, and they are an awesome band, and you go to their merch table, and they only have E.P’s.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    I own thousands of cd’s, collected over many years. Not a single one of them is an E.P. Whats the deal with bands releasing E.P.’s? Why not release a full album? Maybe I am odd here. Does anyone else here not buy E.P.’s? I also cant think of any good E.P.’s beyond maybe Jars of Flies by Alice in Chains. Beyond that, I cant think of anything else worthwhile. In fact, it seems to me, I avoid buying E.P.’s, in my mind they are a waste of money. A band should release only LP’s. Its always frustrating, especially with non label bands, non signed bands, you go to a local show, and they are an awesome band, and you go to their merch table, and they only have E.P’s.

Some bands may not have the dough to record a full cd, or, they don't have enough material.

In the old days, record labels often released EPs so that they could get a feel for how well a band may sell before they provided a budget for an entire lp.

Also, if a band is between albums, and they really want to get a few new songs released, EPS are a great method.
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    I wish more bands would release EP's. I find the time between albums now to be ridiculous. It's hard to grow with a band when they're trhe and four years between albums. I'd gladly accept a 6 song EP every 6-9 months with maybe 3 or 4 new tracks and some live tracks.

In the Stones, Zeppelin and Beatles hey days they were putting out albums every 6-9 months. Are the new bands so bad that they need 3-4 years to make new music?
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    surferdude wrote:
    Are the new bands so bad that they need 3-4 years to make new music?

yes....:)

i miss 7" and 12" vinyl ep's....:)
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    I wish bands would put more out as well. I like the focus of putting out 4 songs as opposed to putting out 14 with a couple fillers here and there.

I always finish an EP wanting MORE. Seldom do I feel that way after sitting through a whole album, which I rarely do anymore.

I mean, Black Flag - Nervous Breakdown. 4 songs 4:04 seconds later, I got my fix in, move on to something else. I like that.

I also like the fact there are usually cover songs on them. (new Ryan Adams for example). In fact, I wish all artists took a page from him in musical output.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Good ep's-

Alice in Chains- Jar of Flies
    Alice in Chains- Sap

Ryan Adams- Follow the Light

The Mars Volta-Tremulant

Minus the Bear- They Make Beer Commercials Like this

Radiohead- My Iron Lung

Those are the one's that jump to mind immediatly
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • All time fave E.P. is Tool - Opiate

Their first release which included a couple live tracks and the song "Opiate" Which never appeared anywhere else and is one of my favorite songs.
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    alice in chains - sap
    tool - opiate
    smashing pumpkins - zero
    polyphonic spree - wait
    nada surf - karmic
    jimmy eat world - stay on my side tonight
    pearl jam - merkinball
    pearl jam - live at easy street
    tripping daisy - the tops of our head
    radiohead - itch
    radiohead - my iron lung
    radiohead - comlag

and those are just off the top of my head (excuse the TD pun :o )

most of these are compilations of work that don't quite fit anywhere else, or bands are tieing up loose ends from a specific recording period before embarking on a full studio effort.
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • You say they are a waste of money, but they are usually cheaper than an album, so what's the issue?
  • Don't forget A Stitch in Time, by the Twilight Singers. Not just an excellent piece of work in and of itself, but it's also something of a preview for the Gutter Twins, which is probably one of the most exciting things ever.:D
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Don't forget A Stitch in Time, by the Twilight Singers. Not just an excellent piece of work in and of itself, but it's also something of a preview for the Gutter Twins, which is probably one of the most exciting things ever.:D

Oh hell yeah! That record really can't come soon enough.
  • Guster - "Satellite EP"
    Sigur Rós - "Sæglópur EP"
    Arcade Fire - "Arcade Fire [EP]"
    At the Drive-In - "Vaya (EP)"
    Incubus - "Enjoy Incubus [EP]"
    Modest Mouse - "Everywhere and his Nasty Parlour Tricks (EP)"

EPs are amazing... they might be too short, but usually, all the tracks are stand-out tracks, to which all of the ones above, have.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    tv on the radio- young liars
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i like that bands release EPs. i'd rather fork out the money for an EP than a single. though i do buy singles too. and as someone mentioned, sometimes at merch stands EPs are all the band can afford to produce. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • I love EP's. If done correctly, they can really provide an album like experience. Ryan Adam's last EP is some great stuff. I think the idea behind the EP is like someone mentioned above me, maybe the artist couldn't afford an entire release. The more likely scenario is the artist felt some inspiration in between sessions, recorded 4 or 5 tunes on a whim and decided they had enough charactar to merit release.
    The Official Matt Cameron appreciation signature!
  • favorate EP ever: NIN's Broken
    It may not have much, but it sure kicks butt. Serves as a prequel to Downward Spiral while Trent was having contract problems with his label.
    I consider it some of his best work, ever. It's as loud and angry as any of the overhyped "grunge" albums during that era.
  • All time fave E.P. is Tool - Opiate

Their first release which included a couple live tracks and the song "Opiate" Which never appeared anywhere else and is one of my favorite songs.

Indeed totaly awesome!
    model, role model, roll some models in blood
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Indeed totaly awesome!

yeah! throw those bob marley wannabe motherfuckers out of here. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • JPS79JPS79 Posts: 148
    nin-broken
    aic-sap,jof
    gnr-lies
    tool-opiate
    all great ep's
    Seems the more you make
    equals the loneliness you get
  • bayleafbayleaf Posts: 128
    the EP is my favourite format for music to be in actually :-)
    ~*~*~*~*~*OFFICIAL KIWI JAMMER No 6*~*~*~*~*~
  • BlyssBlyss Posts: 166
    The ones i have i think are all made from bands starting out and i think they didn't have enough material, i don't understand why not wait and put out an album really though.
  • I own thousands of cd’s, collected over many years. Not a single one of them is an E.P. Whats the deal with bands releasing E.P.’s? Why not release a full album? Maybe I am odd here. Does anyone else here not buy E.P.’s? I also cant think of any good E.P.’s beyond maybe Jars of Flies by Alice in Chains. Beyond that, I cant think of anything else worthwhile. In fact, it seems to me, I avoid buying E.P.’s, in my mind they are a waste of money. A band should release only LP’s. Its always frustrating, especially with non label bands, non signed bands, you go to a local show, and they are an awesome band, and you go to their merch table, and they only have E.P’s.
    I take it you're a Radiohead fan? The My Iron Lung, Airbag and Com Lag eps have already been mentioned. They're collections of b-sides for the most part, very good b-sides that otherwise you'd have to fork out for each single seperately to get. So they save you money, they play very well and they tend to have nice artwork. What's the problem? :)
    uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɹ,ǝʍ 'punoɹ ʎɐʍ ɹǝɥʇo ǝɥʇ ןןɐ s,ʇı
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    My two favourite ones would be the brillant "who the fuck are arctic monkeys" and "whatever" by oasis.
    Taster of things to come but mainly overlying material
  • deadnotedeadnote Posts: 1,678
    i love eps especially when i save them
    set your laughter free

dreamer in my dream

we got the guns

i love you,but im..............callin out.........callin out
  • Well, think back to the days of vinyl. Records were aimed at a teen (or even pre-teen) market, who usually bought singles and often couldn't afford albums. EPs were a way of giving this target audience something a bit more substantial than your usual single: an EP could fit three to four tracks.

Record companies then hit on the idea of serialising albums such as Beatles For Sale in 7 inch format. You'd get a few songs from the album on each disc, Beatles For Sale No.1, No.2, etc.. Whether this ended up as a bit of a rip off or not, I don't know. I'm sure a lot of collectors with a few extra pounds in their pocket bought the EPs and the LPs at the time.

In the UK, Magical Mystery Tour was a double 7 inch EP (I have a copy of the original, with its booklet). There wasn't enough material for an album. In the US, where the album version was released, side two comprised 1967 singles and B sides.

Nowadays, they serve as handy samplers for pluggers and radio people, and work the same way as a first chapter and synopsis do, for budding authors going to agencies and publishers.

And some artists just like releasing EPs for the hell of it.
  • Digital Underground- This is an EP release is utterly fantastic.
  • AngusAngus Posts: 376
    I wish more bands would release EP's instead of full albums with 3-4 utterly shite filler songs.
    00: 7/2 (cancelled...)
    05: 9/11,9/12,9/13,9/15,9/16,9/19
    06: 8/23,8/30, 9/9, 9/11
    07: 6/26, 6/29
  • didnt see yeah yeah yeahs isis ep. i liked that one alot. it was nice for fans cause they were basically live only tracks. it was cool to hear the tracks in studio form and see that they got released. it was/is a nice hold over until the next album too.

and i saw it mentioned but nin broken is an awesome ep and just ever so slightly better than aic jar of flies.

i really like eps though i think bands should release them more often. how often have we read interviews from out favorite bands that they are working on an album and then they mention some songs and 3 years later the album comes out and not one of those tracks is on the album. that always sucks.
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    I'm recording an EP as we speak. The reason that I am recording an EP instead of an LP has nothing to do with material (fuck I've got enough for two albums), but rather to do with time and budget. Considering I write all the music and vocal melodies, play every instrument, and have a lot of layers in the songs... it takes me a lot longer to perfect it in the studio. Compared with a full band that has polished the songs live and can cruise through them in the stduio in a few takes. If I had the money to camp out in the studio for 2 months straight then I would be releasing an LP, but I don't so deal with it! :D;)
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • Queens of the Stone Age- Stone Age Complications
    Cannot stop the thought, running in the dark, coming up a which way sign, all good truants must decide.
    -Immortality
  • Death From Above 1979's EP - Heads Up is wicked. I also like Merkinball, Jar of Flies, Sap, QOTSA's Complications, and Tremulant by Mars Volta
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut