Why are the pixies a forgotten about band?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited October 2007 in Other Music
Seems like they never get their due, and respect they deserve. I don’t think anyone would disagree that THE SONG of our generation is Smells like Teen Spirit, or at least the song of the 1990’s. Kurt admitted it was a rip off of the Pixies. Bono called them, the most important band of the 1980’s. And I also would posit that without the Pixies, grunge, Nirvana, Pearl Jam and the alt rock movement wouldn’t exist.

Be that as it may, why are they not talked about more? Why do people not refer to them like they refer to classic bands like the Stones and the Beatles? Why are they just a forgotten footnote in rock?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I think they're more than a footnote for sure. Their body of work is not as large as some of the bands you mentioned, though I don't think anyone would deny their importance or influence.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • I don't think they are forgotten at all. Their reunion tour a couple of years ago was highly successful as far as I can remember.
  • My fav band ever...The Pixies

not many people "got " the Pixies and those that did became "grunge" fans

everyone else at the time was sucking on Axl's nuts and head banging to Metallica.
    the Minions
  • I have a question, I never really got into the Pixies up until now. So which albums should I start with? Thanks.
  • I have a question, I never really got into the Pixies up until now. So which albums should I start with? Thanks.

Suferosa sorry if I spelled it wrong. I love that album
    Let's Go Red Sox!

Surfer Rosa is their first one, and generally considered their best, but as a huge Pixies fan, I have to say get all of them. Each one is a classic and so different from the last. Their last studio album, Trompe le Monde is my personal favorite, but I recommend checking out the Live at BBC sessions and B-sides collection as well. They do a fucking righteous cover of Neil's "Winterlong"
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    and black francis isn't even black. what's that about? :rolleyes: :p
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • has anyone listend to the new black francis album?
    why did he change back from frank black?
    "Till there was rock you only had God"
    -David Bowie
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Goofy08073 wrote:
    has anyone listend to the new black francis album?

and more importantly what's wrong with the name charles thompson? :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Goofy08073 wrote:

Black Francis use to be the name he went under during the original run of The Pixies...most of his Frank Black albums are pretty mellow and thoughtful fare. The new Francis Black album is FAR from mellow and is probably the closest thing we'll ever get to a new Pixies disc.

Buy it, it's fucking righteous.
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    I don't think they are forgotten at all. Their reunion tour a couple of years ago was highly successful as far as I can remember.

I saw them at Coachella in 2004, their first stop in the US on the reunion tour (after a warmup gig in Vancouver, I think) ... and 25-30k of the 50k at the festival were watching, I don't think they are forgetten.

To this day, that's probably one of the top three concert moments in my life ... funny, this is one of the few live sets I listen to (from the other live music thread)
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • hguz73hguz73 Posts: 245
    I always heard/read that The Pixies (which is one of my favorite bands) never got enough media coverage in the U.S...in Europe they are gods. As it was pointed before, if it wasn't for The Pixies and Sonic Youth, maybe Nirvana wouldn't have the sound it had. In the dvd they released there's a long list of artists admiting how The Pixies had an influence on their music (Radiohead, Pj Harvey, Blur, etc, etc) and others making comments on their importance in modern rock like Bono and David Bowie.
    If you haven't heard them before i'd recommend listening to Wave of Mutilacion (Greatest Hits).
    As for the new Black Francis album i really liked it...its called Bluefinger and has some cool tracks like Captain Pansy and Tight Black Rubber.
    What is awesome about this band (other than their music) is that they were 4 geeks, far from having the looks of rock heroes they looked like 4 losers brought out of a suburbian garage. Maybe thats another reason they didn't get media support..we all know how an artist's image sells, i know its mayor BS but it can't be denied that the music industry manages to raise to stardom or doom certain bands to no recognition.
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Well, the breakup didn't help. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Who?
  • Pixies are idolised by all people involved in any way with alternative rock.

The reason why they're not more highly regarded generally is because alternative rock never became mainstream rock.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    The Pixies are amazing.
    'Where is my mind' send shivers down my spine.
    'Doolittle' is probably my fave album...but I have them all :D
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Goofy08073 wrote:
    Basically Black Francis is the crazy, yelping guy obsessed with UFOs and spanish language whereas Frank Black makes rootsy americana type albums :)
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    And I also would posit that without the Pixies, Pearl Jam wouldn’t exist.

i strongly disagree with this statement. Nirvana - yes, Radiohead - yes.
    i hardly see any direct influence on PJ's music.
    for that we can thank
    the who
    led zep
    the stones
    ramones
    neil youn
    dylan
    etc (classic hard rock mate)
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    The Pixies starte the alternative revolution? What about bands whose groundwork was well in place well before Kurt Cobain started namedropping the Pixies?

I am sorry, but to thank the Pixies for anybody but Nirvana is fallacy.
  • geniegenie Posts: 2,222

The reason why they're not more highly regarded generally is because alternative rock never became mainstream rock.

yep, and that's how i want things to stay. Cause i don't care what those pop loving freaks think about Alternative rock and Pixies.
  • genie wrote:
    yep, and that's how i want things to stay. Cause i don't care what those pop loving freaks think about Alternative rock and Pixies.
    I don't get why people say this. Why wouldn't you want your favorite band to be recognized and loved by a lot more people that it already does?
  • Jellyrolls wrote:
    I don't get why people say this. Why wouldn't you want your favorite band to be recognized and loved by a lot more people that it already does?

but it did turn mainstream and partly turned into crap, ya know like blink 182 and three days grace - thoses bands are derived from alternative rock no matter how diluted they may sound.

ON TOPIC: I've always wondered this about the pixies, as well. They are very unknown in the general public and even amongst rock fans, even grunge fans. I was in New England fairly soon after I discovered them and was asking people about them up there; not one single person knew of them. If it wasn't for "fight club", I may not know them still.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • Ah, those were the days ... "Where is my mind?"
  • urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    Ah, those were the days ... "Where is my mind?"
    My absolute favourite Pixies song :)
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09