Does Radiohead care if people "buy" In Rainbows for $0.00

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited October 2007 in Other Music
title says it all
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Apparently not. It's a bold move, but I think Radiohead is one of those few 90s bands that was able to build and maintain a strong devoted fanbase like pearl jam, the Dave Mathews, and counting crows have to name a few.

The reason I see them doing this for "whatever price" is because they probably figure that bands haven't made much off of record sales anyway in the last 6-8 years do to piracy. So they are pretty much giving people the option to buy it for an expense they are willing to pay or just have it as a freebee.

I believe Kelly Curtis commented on this move from radiohead as "Death to record labels." Radiohead will make plenty of $ touring in support of it though. I'm hoping to actually get tickets this time around.

I do think I remember reading that there will be a physical copy of "in rainbows" released to retail later next year, my guess is, they will do something to it (add bonus tracks, throw in a dvd) to get people to buy the record again if they download it for free. So I'm sure they have something in the works to get some profit off of it.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Jonny says that they did the "name your price" thing just because they were curious what people thought the music was worth. They probably always intended for the MP3's to be free. They're just being arty-farty.
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Excuse my ignorance, but where can you pick this up?
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    If this is a big hit, other artists will follow which is for sure in the best interests of both, the bands and the consumers.

It's a matter of respect. If their time and effort isnt worth anything to you...pay nothing. Otherwise, pay a couple dollars. I paid 2 pounds; not much, but still something.
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,077
    red mos wrote:
    Apparently not. It's a bold move, but I think Radiohead is one of those few 90s bands that was able to build and maintain a strong devoted fanbase like pearl jam, the Dave Mathews, and counting crows have to name a few.

counting crows??? i personally wouldn't include them in the class of pearl jam, dmb and radiohead.

anyways...i don't think radiohead doing this or nine inch nails becoming a "free agent" this week are the death of record labels. i think it is just "another nail in the coffin" of major acts being tied down to major labels w/o getting a very large percentage of input on how their art/product is distributed. once contracts are up they are either going to try to go it alone or partner up with a label that they feel comfortable with.
  • Personally, I am going to download for free and see if I like it. If I do, I'm headed out to the store in 2008 or whenever it gets released and paying for it (I know by then payments will be split with the label). If I really like it I might get that box set; is it vinyl?

I wish all bands would do this. I want to sample a CD before I pay for it honestly. I know most people won't pay and will just take though.

EDIT: Oh, and I can't download right now. Guess the limit exceeded :(
  • wrappedwrapped Posts: 12
    JSBE wrote:
    counting crows??? i personally wouldn't include them in the class of pearl jam, dmb and radiohead.

anyways...i don't think radiohead doing this or nine inch nails becoming a "free agent" this week are the death of record labels. i think it is just "another nail in the coffin" of major acts being tied down to major labels w/o getting a very large percentage of input on how their art/product is distributed. once contracts are up they are either going to try to go it alone or partner up with a label that they feel comfortable with.

Yeah, I don't think it'll mean anything for record labels. Their cash cows are still the Timberlakes, JLOs, and Spears of the world.

The hand full of bands like Radiohead, Pearl Jam, and such probably don't mean that much to a wealthy label that has a boy band or anything of the sort.
  • cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    JSBE wrote:

Why do you think Counting Crows are still around and kickin? They have an excellent devoted fan base, minus all the tools and frat daddies that go to PJ and DMB concerts. Granted, the co-headlining tours of the last 4 years has annoyed me, but they are as sound at their craft as ANY of those bands you mentioned. Whether you like them or not makes no difference in that regard, cause it's just fact.

And you're right, they don't belong in a class with those other bands. They have their own.

*Oh, and if Radiohead cared that I paid zilch for the download (highly doubt that tho), then they can kiss my ass. I'll be buying the CD and vinyl at some point anyway.
  • JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,077
    cc10106 wrote:
    Why do you think Counting Crows are still around and kickin? They have an excellent devoted fan base, minus all the tools and frat daddies that go to PJ and DMB concerts. Granted, the co-headlining tours of the last 4 years has annoyed me, but they are as sound at their craft as ANY of those bands you mentioned. Whether you like them or not makes no difference in that regard, cause it's just fact.

And you're right, they don't belong in a class with those other bands. They have their own.

to "be around and kickin" in the current live music (concert) marketplace isn't a huge thing with the fact that bands from the 70s and 80s (fractured with new members, reunited or whatever) are still touring.

and i'm not bashing the counting crows, i just thought they were the odd band out of the list they were included with...in my opinion.

other than the song from shrek i have no idea what they've done in the almost 10 years since i saw them live.
  • lastexitlastexit Posts: 257
    cc10106 wrote:

Let's fucking hope so.

http://www.kennettnet.co.uk/crows/44523_A_V1.jpg
  • cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    lastexit wrote:

hahaha
  • Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    If the download was the only option, I'm not sure how much I would have paid for it... but I did pay $81 for the disk box and that came with the download as well :D
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    danny72688 wrote:
    Personally, I am going to download for free and see if I like it. If I do, I'm headed out to the store in 2008 or whenever it gets released and paying for it (I know by then payments will be split with the label). If I really like it I might get that box set; is it vinyl?

I wish all bands would do this. I want to sample a CD before I pay for it honestly. I know most people won't pay and will just take though.

EDIT: Oh, and I can't download right now. Guess the limit exceeded :(

I agree. Actually that's one of the things myspace is great for. An artist can stream their record on the net via myspace or on their band site or whatever. Chris Cornell did this with "Carry on" and I remember the new Burden Brothers cd I was looking forward too was streamed on rhapsody 2 weeks before it's release. I used to go to the cd store (Blockbuster music) and sit and listen to an album before I committed to buying it. The days of local cd stores are pretty much gone around here where I live though.
    The consumer should have the ability to preview what they are buying up front, and some bands have already started to adhere to that fact.
    I pretty much consider this radiohead album a leak... even though the band actually decided to release it in this format themselves. Like an above poster said, "They probabably want to see what they consumer feels the music is worth and how much they would be willing to pay for it.
    I'm really liking this album.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    One of the most genius and overlooked things is most everyone that gets it will be counted as a sale, even if they dont pay anything. Radiohead could outsell everybody just by givin it away.
  • like i said in the "in rainbows" thread... the band will not be hurt at all by people paying $0.0 for the download. On a regular cd sale the band only recieves about 2.00, so with the people purchasing the discbox, and also with the people paying 5-10bux for the download, you will easily be made up for. And also remember that a conventional cd release will be out later next year, so they will still make money from that aswell.

the cd is well worth money though, excellent cd.
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
    09/19/05, 05/09/06, 05/10/06
    cc10106 wrote:

*Oh, and if Radiohead cared that I paid zilch for the download (highly doubt that tho), then they can kiss my ass. I'll be buying the CD and vinyl at some point anyway.

Counting Crows don't belong with the other 3. Their fan base is tiny compared to the numbers Radiohead, PJ, and DMB have. That's why they do coheadlining tours. They can't sell enuogh tix to play big shows alone. The others have no problem with that.

If Counting Crows are on this list, where is Hootie and the Blowfish, they were popular 10 years ago too, and bet they have a rabid following somewhere.

Aside from that, aren't the CC basically a pop band, a shitty pop band.
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    I paid $0.00 for the downloads but will definitely pick up the CD when it comes out for the superior sound quality, bonus tracks, album artwork, etc.

It was definitely an experiment on Radiohead's part and a pretty good marketing move - just look at all the press it's gotten. Not that RH needs the gimmicks, it's an amazing album, but I appreciate the fact that they're willing to try something new. Not to mention it gets the music into our hands a few months before the hard copies are avaliable.

It may not be the death of record companies but it is a big middle finger right in their faces...
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • i paid 2.46 for it, because i will buy the cd when it comes out.

mp3s are not worth paying a full album price.

Sounds very reasonable. What's the bitrate, for these mp3s?
    DeLukin wrote:
    I paid $0.00 for the downloads but will definitely pick up the CD when it comes out for the superior sound quality, bonus tracks, album artwork, etc.

It was definitely an experiment on Radiohead's part and a pretty good marketing move - just look at all the press it's gotten. Not that RH needs the gimmicks, it's an amazing album, but I appreciate the fact that they're willing to try something new. Not to mention it gets the music into our hands a few months before the hard copies are avaliable.

It may not be the death of record companies but it is a big middle finger right in their faces...

Don't you only get the bonus tracks if you buy the big $85 package.
  • I paid $0.00 for it but, with reason. By all reports, they are releasing an actual disc in December. I'm aware that they would've made more money from the digital sale had I paid whatever is considered full price but, I LOVE having the book and case so, thats a decision I made. Bold move for an even bolder band. They deserve A LOT of credit.
    The Official Matt Cameron appreciation signature!
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Don't you only get the bonus tracks if you buy the big $85 package.

Good point. According to their site the discbox:

CONSISTS OF THE NEW ALBUM, IN RAINBOWS, ON CD
    AND ON 2 X 12 INCH HEAVYWEIGHT VINYL RECORDS.
    A SECOND, ENHANCED CD CONTAINS MORE NEW SONGS, ALONG WITH DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHS AND ARTWORK.
    THE DISCBOX ALSO INCLUDES ARTWORK AND LYRIC BOOKLETS.
    ALL ARE ENCASED IN A HARDBACK BOOK AND SLIPCASE.

I'm hoping you can get the enhanced CD alone when it's released...
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Sounds very reasonable. What's the bitrate, for these mp3s?
    The bitrate's 160, but don't let that stop you from downloading the album. The quality is fantastic.
    It really bothers me when you can hear the "flanging" sound in the highs with some downloads, especially in the hi-hats. Thankfully, everything sopunds as it should.
    It's been bothering me how much people have been complaining about the bitrate. I think this download sounds more "quality" than Thom Yorke's solo album that I boaght at the store. Go figure?
    Alpine Valley '92
    Milwaukee 2 '95
    Alpine Valley '00
    Milwaukee 1 '06
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    I downloaded the album for free but I will buy a copy when it's in stores next year. I was also reading that NIN and Oasis might do the same thing as Radiohead, as they're both free of record labels right now. In some ways I look at this as revenge for real music fans. We've had the greedy labels trying to sell us prepackaged shit for so long, and now we can support the bands we like without giving most of the price we pay for a CD over to the fucking record companies. Cheers to Radiohead for getting the ball rolling!!!
  • PrlJam27PrlJam27 Posts: 346
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Counting Crows don't belong with the other 3. Their fan base is tiny compared to the numbers Radiohead, PJ, and DMB have. That's why they do coheadlining tours. They can't sell enuogh tix to play big shows alone. The others have no problem with that.

If Counting Crows are on this list, where is Hootie and the Blowfish, they were popular 10 years ago too, and bet they have a rabid following somewhere.

Aside from that, aren't the CC basically a pop band, a shitty pop band.

You need some schooling, Counting Crows has a REALLY big following. Due in part to some of the same reasons Pearl Jam does. Their shows are very different every night, they allow and encourage audience recordings of their shows. They even have a piece of their offical website devoted to show traders.

So to answer your question, no. Couting crows is not "basically a shitty pop band". More like a VERY fan friendly, modern folk band.
  • ok, enough with the fucking counting crows shit. this is a radiohead thread.

my personal take:
    1. i think it's a good point that every 'purchase' will count as a sale, so they may get very good numbers on the charts, which will generate further interest amongst the cows that only buy what's popular.
    2. i only have 2 radiohead songs in my entire music library, and i got them from downloading, and i don't mean the paying kind. so i paid 3 pounds for the record yesterday and that's more money than they'd have gotten from me before, as i'm not a huge radiohead fan. (i would have never paid full price for the record, so some money from me is better than none) so they're already in the black as far as my consumer dollars spent. and besides that, i like what i hear, so maybe i'll go buy other stuff from their back catalog now... i think it was a great move and a good way of getting exposed to people that previously didn't listen to them, like me.
    Mesa 11/7/93 - Charlotte 10/4/96 - DC 6/14/98 - Raleigh 8/31/98 - Knoxville 9/6/98 - Columbia MD 9/18/98 - DC 9/19/98 - Columbia MD 9/4/00 - Phoenix 10/21/00 - Raleigh 4/15/03 - Phoenix 6/7/03 - Philadelphia 5/27&28/06 - DC 5/30/06 - Las Vegas 7/6/06 - San Diego 7/7/06 - LA 7/9&10/06 - Gorge 7/22&23/06 - Chicago 8/5/07 - PJ20 9/3&4/11 - Jacksonville 11/24/12 (EV) - Orlando 11/27/12 (EV) - Brooklyn 10/18&19/13 - Charlotte 10/30/13 - Memphis 10/14/14 - Ft Lauderdale 4/8/16 - Miami 4/9/16 - Jacksonville 4/13/16 - Hampton 4/18/16 - Chicago 8/20&22/16
    PrlJam27 wrote:
    You need some schooling, Counting Crows has a REALLY big following. Due in part to some of the same reasons Pearl Jam does. Their shows are very different every night, they allow and encourage audience recordings of their shows. They even have a piece of their offical website devoted to show traders.

So to answer your question, no. Couting crows is not "basically a shitty pop band". More like a VERY fan friendly, modern folk band.

Can they virtually sell out arenas and amphitheatre over a 70 show tour, alone? No, but most bands cant. DMB, Radiohead, Tool, PJ, and alotta those old reunion acts are about the only ones that can.
  • The bitrate's 160, but don't let that stop you from downloading the album. The quality is fantastic.
    It really bothers me when you can hear the "flanging" sound in the highs with some downloads, especially in the hi-hats. Thankfully, everything sopunds as it should.
    It's been bothering me how much people have been complaining about the bitrate. I think this download sounds more "quality" than Thom Yorke's solo album that I boaght at the store. Go figure?

it's also sorta silly that people bitch about the bitrate when they didn't have to pay anything for it. but i'm not an audiophile i guess so i don't really have a problem with "only" 160 kbps