Whats the Slip about?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited June 2008 in Other Music
Well, we all know Year Zero had possibly the largest or biggest back story of any record possibly in history,

so what is The Slip about thematically and lyrically? What inspired the record? What is Trent talking about on this one?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• it's not a concept album.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    i havent heard the record yet, but given as you said its not a concept album like the past few records have been or at least year zero was, doesnt the album have some main themes or ideas that jump out? I mean Ten isnt a concept album but its clear its a protrait of teens living in america in the 90's. doesnt the slip have a similar depth to it?

For most bands I wouldnt be as interested, but I get the feeling from listening to NIN or listening or reading interviews with Trent, that Trent isnt the type of person who just releases an album containing odd songs about nothing. He seems to have a point to the songs and ideas expressed in the lyrics.
  • FirecloudFirecloud Posts: 516
    I don't know, but check out the amazing rehearsal videos they just posted at nin.com. It's so awesome to see Robin Finck back on guitar. The guy's supernatural.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Firecloud wrote:
    I don't know, but check out the amazing rehearsal videos they just posted at nin.com. It's so awesome to see Robin Finck back on guitar. The guy's supernatural.

Yeah and how about Freese on Letting You - he's a machine.

Regarding The Slip, I need to listen to it more times to think about it some more. Trent hasn't really said anything about it. Letting You seems kind of political to me.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • bluemonkeybluemonkey Posts: 198
    the slip is about how awesome trent reznor is.
  • bluemonkey wrote:
    the slip is about how awesome trent reznor is.

and how free music kicks ass.
  • No offence but I always find these threads kind of funny.

Don't you listen to the lyrics? Listen to the lyrics, learn the lyrics, and you'll learn everything Trent wanted you to know about the meaning of the songs.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • yeah trent's not really a metaphor kind of guy.

all his lyrics are pretty simple and straight forward
  • reznors edgereznors edge Posts: 136
    Some songs like Discipline, Demon Seed and 1000000 have a theme of struggling with addiction or even a relapse IMO. At least that's the feeling I get. Hense the title The Slip. But it's no concept album that's for sure.
    I like to think of the Slip as the proper followup to With Teeth.
  • Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    same old NIN themes: depression, anger, sadness, etc.
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • RockKingRockKing Posts: 431
    I view The Slip as some of the issues Trent thought he had overcome with The Fragile coming back to haunt him again.
    --"I'm like an opening band for the sun"

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • HushBullHushBull Posts: 996
    Well, we all know Year Zero had possibly the largest or biggest back story of any record possibly in history,

so what is The Slip about thematically and lyrically? What inspired the record? What is Trent talking about on this one?
    It's his answer to The Clap, I forget who recorded that one... :)

I'm listening to The Fragile right now, what a great fucking album.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"