moments in which music altered your life?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited June 2008 in Other Music
we often, I often talk about how music saved and changed my life. But rarely does anyone talk about specifically what that means. Not really talking about "this show or concert changed my life" or "was the best show ever". more about music altering your path in life. would you have turned out differently if a band or concert hadnt happened at a certain time?

for me its hard to nail it down to one event, or to even try to verbalize or type out how my life has been changed, or moments where if I didnt have music my life would have gone another way etc...

how does one go about talking and verbalizing the most important thing in ones life? How do I express how my life has been altered and how enriched my life is because of music?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    I know music has changed my life and way of thinking but it is hard for me to talk about it. I may just have to write a song about it instead.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    I made this post in an RM thread about Pink Floyd:
    One Of These Days is the song that got me to listen to Pink Floyd. Back when I was 14 my neighbor would take me fishing once in a while and on one of our trips Learning To Fly came on the radio. He asked if I had heard any Pink Floyd and I said no, not really. Because Learning To Fly was on, he talked about the band and the breakup and how that song was the first one without Roger Waters. He talked up how good the older stuff was (though he wasn't bagging on PF87, either) and told me he'd lend me a CD when we got back. That CD turned out to be A Collection Of Great Dance Songs.

So we got back, he gave me the CD, and I took it home. I brought my Discman to the kitchen table, put the CD in, the headphones on, and pushed play. Slowly this swirling wind came through the speakers, and then an echoed bass note. I was intrigued already. The song built and built, then suddenly I got really freaked out by what I was hearing. The music was so intense, so dark that I couldn't handle it- I ripped my headphones off and sat there, stunned. After 30 seconds or so I pulled myself together, realizing that I'm sitting at my own fucking kitchen table and just got scared shitless from music. Fucking music! I felt like such a tool. But that was the hook, man. That experience changed my life.

If I didn't have this experience, I wouldn't have immersed myself into the music of Pink Floyd, which naturally branched out into other artists and genres as I got older. I can look back on that night and say that was a life changing moment and have absolutely no doubts about that as a fact. I would not be here on this board typing this message if I did not listen to Pink Floyd that night. I guarantee it.

As for your question (I think it was a question), I dunno how you'll be able to explain your own experiences, because I haven't had them. Hopefully one day you'll find a way to express it, be it in writing, verbally or through music itself.
  • I can't really recall the exact moment it happened, but I remember my biggest interest at one point were Bo Jackson and the Fab five from the Michigan basketball team, and then it all switched and it was music, music, music. I was about 11 when that happened.
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFRIpvOPIBQ

The year was 1974. I was two. Things have never been the same since.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    The year was 1974. I was two. Things have never been the same since.

hey snap!!... almost.

the year was 1974. i was 9. i heard stevie wright singing evie. 5 years later i had the pleasure of seeing and hearing him do it live in its entirety on the steps of the sydney opera house. it is one of my most cherished musical memories. that song is the reason i listen to music today. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    we often, I often talk about how music saved and changed my life. But rarely does anyone talk about specifically what that means. Not really talking about "this show or concert changed my life" or "was the best show ever". more about music altering your path in life. would you have turned out differently if a band or concert hadnt happened at a certain time?

for me its hard to nail it down to one event, or to even try to verbalize or type out how my life has been changed, or moments where if I didnt have music my life would have gone another way etc...

how does one go about talking and verbalizing the most important thing in ones life? How do I express how my life has been altered and how enriched my life is because of music?

I had been a Who fan ever since I was a young teenager. I connected with their music more than anyone else's. Then came Quadrophenia, the album and the movie. Never had I seen/heard the experience of youth captured in such a spectacular, true real life way. I was never the same person after that experience, mainly caused I directly connected with Jimmy. Jimmy indirectly saved my life, in the fact that what he did, is something that I don't ever want to do. It was a life lesson learned.

He only comes out when I drink my gin.

In the end it's not nearly as important to express what music means to you, rather, to just know that it is your own extremely highly personal experience that makes it so damn special.
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    23rd & 24th August 06. saw PJ, Radiohead & Beck all for first time. great shows. good weather. phenonemal.
    had just turned 21 few days before. a week of parties and great gigs. had seen Faithless & Kasabian 5 days before.

deadly
  • hodgehodge Posts: 519
    Lateralus

that album/song really changed my life for the better and i am grateful for the path I am now on
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    Led Zeppelin's reunion show in December, just cos it was such a mindblowing experience! I thank god every day for getting those tickets :-D
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    I think it's a subtle thing. There's plenty of times I've been thankful for music, but I don't think there's one specific moment that 'changed' or 'saved' my life. It's a touch melodramatic for my liking. I just accept music is a big part of my life and definitely affects my life in some way shape or form. Don't see the need for specifics :o
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • I really didn't listen to a lot of music before university. But then one late night I watched the "Fell on Black days" video by Soundgarden. Not really sure why, but the song and vidoe just grabbed my attention and really introduced me to most of music I listen to now by some means or another. I guess being someone who never really thought of myself as 'cool' there was something about Soundgarden which really made me atleast 'feel' cool when I listened to their music.
  • voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    Hearing the opening chords to Jumping Jack Flash turned me on to the Stones when I was very young. Since that moment, the Stones have been responsible for me once being in a Stones Tribute band as well as spending tens of thousands of dollars on them when they tour......definitely changed my life.
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • deadnotedeadnote Posts: 1,678
    me and my children calaborated on a couple tunes and it changed my life
    set your laughter free

dreamer in my dream

we got the guns

i love you,but im..............callin out.........callin out
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    The first times I heard the following, and in chronological order: Tupac Shakur, Pearl Jam (obviously), Minor Threat, John Coltrane, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Neutral Milk Hotel.

There are more but these are the cataclysmic ones.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    The first times I heard the following, and in chronological order: Tupac Shakur, Pearl Jam (obviously), Minor Threat, John Coltrane, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Neutral Milk Hotel.

There are more but these are the cataclysmic ones.

I know I'm gonna sound like a smart-arse, but you know cataclysms are generally bad things, right? :p
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • 14 years old. the doors. the end. blew my mind.
    I know I'm gonna sound like a smart-arse, but you know cataclysms are generally bad things, right? :p
    It just means a violent and devastating change :) Which pretty much perfectly sums it up perfectly :D
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    It just means a violent and devastating change :) Which pretty much perfectly sums it up perfectly :D

Way to be melodramatic, guy. ;)

Tupac Shakur: a veritable biblical flood of rhymes. :p
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
    Way to be melodramatic, guy. ;)

Tupac Shakur: a veritable biblical flood of rhymes. :p
    A life devoid of melodrama and epic, self-indulgent hyperbole is a life not worth living :)
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Michael Jackson's Thriller record, then Off the Wall and some of his Motown releases through to Bad which blew my mind again. I loved every song from his albums, seemed to be none of the filler you got with Whitney Houston and Musical Youth, and even today the bass line on Billie Jean sounds incredible. Same goes for Bad and Smooth Criminal. Everything that vame after was cumulative.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    A life devoid of melodrama and epic, self-indulgent hyperbole is a life not worth living :)

Surely, these are the moments of clarity that shake both heaven and earth, and reveal man for what he truly is: lewd. :)

I think I need sleep.
    Surely, these are the moments of clarity that shake both heaven and earth, and reveal man for what he truly is: lewd. :)

I think I need sleep.
    :D you crazy fool...
  • Doodah972Doodah972 Posts: 146
    pearl jam st. paul 06 night 2. I was a casual fan before this concert. They played before Tom Petty. changed my life. they introduced me to the whole "grunge" era of the early 90's, sleater-kinney, and new bands like mmj, kol, ben harper, ted leo. all these band in turn, make me look at other bands similar to themselves. etc...
    "I changed by not changing at all"
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    christmas. my friend across the street gave me blue oyster cult's latest effort, agents of fortune. after turkey, football and with the little kids going nuts....i slipped in front of the family stereo, put in the cassette, donned the headphones and discovered rock and roll.

my hearing was perfect............then.
  • reznors edgereznors edge Posts: 136
    Listening to The Downward Spiral for the first time was definitely the moment for me. I remember the overwhelming feeling of "finally something I could relate to" I had while reading the lyrics. I probably wasn't at a good emotional place, but having that was somewhat of a good thing. Hard to explain. But that album had a profound impact on me that has never left me.
  • lalalalaaaaaaaalalalalaaaaaaaa Posts: 2,445
    14 years old. the doors. the end. blew my mind.
    Niiiiice, I'm with ya on that one...same song and pretty much same age I think.
  • TKDTKD Posts: 163
    Eyes of the world
    Grateful dead msg
    Dont even know how to explain it

first time i heard ten

first time i listened to Led Zeppelin

Mike Song>Simple>Contact>Weekapaug Groove
    Phish
    Clifford Ball Day One

Id been into the band for a while but i think that segue really helped set the stage for alot of years after.

http://www.phishows.com/
    Im a million miles away from home and I cant find a telephone...
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,987
    In reverse order:

3) Buying "Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols" when I was about fourteen. I discovered there really was music beyond Foreigner, Journey, Styx, thank heavens! As silly as it sounds, the disparity between the music I liked and what was available locally (see above list, add Led Zeppelin and, ugh, April Wine) probably spurred me to leave town as soon as as possible. This was a very good thing.

2) Seeing Paul Weller and The Style Council in Berlin, stopping by the Wall afterwards to leave some graffiti. I was sixteen. Weller is so great live, and the whole experience changed how I viewed the world.

1) David Bowie. I have been listening to and loving Bowie for, literally, as long as I can remember -- like, since I was two. I guess he cannot be described as a "moment," but even when I was very, very small I recognized that the music he made, pardon the phrase, struck a chord with me. I have to think that listening to his music from such an early age had an overall warping influence on me. :-)
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Oh, I forgot being scared fucking shitless by Ron Mael on Top of the Pops:

http://tv.cream.org/images2/arkspark.jpg
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    last weekend. i saw the Only Living Witness reunion show in Cambridge. best concert i've ever seen. here's 2 clips for all of you that don't know:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q24XgHO2vTU "Downpour"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBOBodeozfo&feature=related "Prone Mortal Form"

do youself a HUGE favor and check this band out. broke up in 95 on the eve of their second record being released. coulda been the East Coast's answer to grunge. they got back together for 2 shows, one last Saturday and one last night. Century Media rereleased both albums in one double disc package last year. remixed and bonus tracks... go buy it now.