Cheap way to get odd sized posters framed w/ a matte @ Michaels

3Cr00kedH3arts3Cr00kedH3arts Posts: 122
edited February 2008 in The Porch
I thought I'd share something I found out when getting some posters framed at Michaels Crafts.

Getting a poster matted and custom framed can cost a lot (at least $100 or way more). I had a number of odd sized posters (not a size for stock frames) I wanted framed with a matte, but didn't want to pay that much.

The girl working there said I could buy a sheet of the matte board (about $15) and a frame (they're usually 50% off every other week). Then, she could cut the matte and mount the posters for free.

I ended up spending about $40 per poster with the matte and frame.

While they don't look as "polished" as a custom frame does (the matte won't be even on all sides probably since you're dealing with a stock frame size), I saved about $80 to $100 per poster. It looks WAY better than sticking the poster in an oversized frame with a piece of paper behind it (my old method of display).

I got a VFC poster and Chicago 2003 done like this. I got my Champaign and East Troy 2003 posters custom framed, because they're the centerpieces of my collection. :) I'm planning on doing the Avocado poster I have in the same manner. I'd like to frame the Big Wave one, but it won't fit any stock frames, and I can't justify spending over $100 to frame a poster worth maybe $15.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone else was looking to get their concert posters framed, but didn't want to spend a ton of cash.