Modest Mouse

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited September 2007 in Other Music
Not enough praise for this band, on this board!

I love the wierd guitar riffs and sounds, and Isaac Brocks odd voice.

The songs seem to express 2 things simotaneously

1. The feeling of being lost and not knowing what to do

2. That with that knowledge of being lost, that you should seize the day and live your life.

I am a big fan
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Great band, Fire It Up is one of my favorite tunes at the moment
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Yea I also love this band. Saw them at Virgin Festival and thought they were great.
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    it's always a good sign when you can't decide between 3 or 4 albums which one is your favourite
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • itsevobaby wrote:
    it's always a good sign when you can't decide between 3 or 4 albums which one is your favourite

I agree, I can narrow it down to 3 but that's as far as I can go.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    their new album is easily the best of 07 so far. johnny marr should get some sort of MVP award.
  • The Moon and Antarctica will always be my fav. MM rock.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • their new album is easily the best of 07 so far. johnny marr should get some sort of MVP award.

Wouldnt call it the best of the year but it does have a few of the best songs, I also dont think Johnny Marr added a whole to the band
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Wouldnt call it the best of the year but it does have a few of the best songs, I also dont think Johnny Marr added a whole to the band

what would you call best of the year, out of curiosity? i dont say that lightly... there have been some truly amazing albums released this year.

i dont think marr really turned their sound around or anything, he's just such a solid player. his contributions were very subtle, but i feel like they were noticeable. it mainly went more to songwriting i thought. he really brought out their pop tendencies while staying flexible enough to jam when called to.
  • I think there's been plenty of love for Modest Mouse on this board, but that's just me. But to rehash- The Moon and Antarctica is one of the best albums of the decade. Completely awe-inspiring and original from beginning to end. I have listened to Gravity Rides Everything more than any other song over the last few years. The new album is definitely one of the year's best, though I don't think it matches the transcendent genius of Arcade Fire's Neon Bible. Forget Johnny Marr's contribution; bringing in James Mercer to sing backup was a brilliant move. The songs he sings on make the album for me.

All this being said, I am still boycotting their concerts after two horrendous experiences.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • lgtlgt Posts: 720
    boroff89 wrote:
    All this being said, I am still boycotting their concerts after two horrendous experiences.

Oh you shouldn't! Give it another chance! :)

My first experience wasn't that great, but I blamed it on the big venue and partly on the uninterested crowd, so as soon as another opportunity came up to see them in a small venue I grabbed it and was NOT disappointed - quite the opposite! It was a really good show. Btw, I did notice though in both occasions that there was quite a rough moshpit at one time - indeed it looked much worse than the one in Milan for Pearl Jam in 06, and I survived that!

The new album really got me into MM - only knew one song of theirs before, which I liked but didn't know it was them. But since spring of this year I discovered all their old albums. Still not have a favourite, just favourite songs... well, actually, coming to think of it probably my favourite is their last one! :D
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    good band
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • KannKann Posts: 1,146
    Very cool band. And I'm happy I started with "good news..." that way the more I heard of them the more I liked them.
  • lgt wrote:
    Oh you shouldn't! Give it another chance! :)

My first experience wasn't that great, but I blamed it on the big venue and partly on the uninterested crowd, so as soon as another opportunity came up to see them in a small venue I grabbed it and was NOT disappointed - quite the opposite! It was a really good show. Btw, I did notice though in both occasions that there was quite a rough moshpit at one time - indeed it looked much worse than the one in Milan for Pearl Jam in 06, and I survived that!

The new album really got me into MM - only knew one song of theirs before, which I liked but didn't know it was them. But since spring of this year I discovered all their old albums. Still not have a favourite, just favourite songs... well, actually, coming to think of it probably my favourite is their last one! :D

The first time I saw them, they came out over an hour late. They played an incredibly short set, ignoring The Moon and Antarctica, and what they did play did not sound good at all. The second time I saw them, the songs were all disasters (and this was with Johnny Marr). They were all off. Isaac's vocals were atrocious. They butchered every song they played. I can't justifying paying for tickets to see them after an 0 for 2 like that.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • what would you call best of the year, out of curiosity? i dont say that lightly... there have been some truly amazing albums released this year.

i dont think marr really turned their sound around or anything, he's just such a solid player. his contributions were very subtle, but i feel like they were noticeable. it mainly went more to songwriting i thought. he really brought out their pop tendencies while staying flexible enough to jam when called to.

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Baby 81 is the best album of the year in my opinion, not even an average song on it.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• i don't like them that much and when they played at lollapalooza it just made me hate their music more.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    The Moon & Antarctica is a shockingly good album.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • lgtlgt Posts: 720
    boroff89 wrote:
    The first time I saw them, they came out over an hour late. They played an incredibly short set, ignoring The Moon and Antarctica, and what they did play did not sound good at all. The second time I saw them, the songs were all disasters (and this was with Johnny Marr). They were all off. Isaac's vocals were atrocious. They butchered every song they played. I can't justifying paying for tickets to see them after an 0 for 2 like that.

That's really bad! Sorry. Not at all what I have experienced... wow. Looks like it's hit or miss.

I really enjoyed their shows, especially their last one in a small venue. True, not much crowd interaction from their part (ok, I need to stop using PJ as the gold standard for live gigs! :D) but they were really into it and played well..

Guess I just wanted to give you my experience as an example so that you could perhaps think of a third time lucky. :)
  • 'We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank' is easily my album of the year. I got into Modest Mouse through word of mouth and am completely blown away. Johnny Marr sounds great with them, I love 'Parting of the Sensory@ and 'Florida'. Love the lyrics too, and Issac's delivery.
    I used to be Cropduster84 for those who remember...