Concerts where the audience is silent

2»

Comments

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,973
    Years ago, I saw John McLaughlin and the Mahavisnu Orchestra. He came out and asked for silence....

silence.....silence.....silence.....then some drunk yells "Let's boogie!!!!!!!!" Sad, but true.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • panthergirlpanthergirl Posts: 469
    Not many any more. Radiohead at the Tower Theater a couple of years ago, they were playing Nude and it was so delicate and beautiful that people were sitting on the edge of their seats paying rapt attention. So rare any more. Then they played Exit Music and it was beautiful and of course someone had to announce their love right in the middle,,,,,, "RADIOHEADDDDDDDDDDDDD!"
    Well I actually knew it was Radiohead we were seeing, but thankfully he reminded me! ;)

I've never heard ANYBODY there at the Verizon Hall yell,,,,,, Wolfgang Sawallisch!!!!!!!!!!!!"

YES! we saw Radiohead a few nights ago at West Palm and I must say, I was shocked to experience such *rapt attention* during some of the really quiet songs. It may have been different further back but we were dead center about 20 rows back and it was just soooo gorgeous and moving and just BEAUTIFUL to actually get SO into the music without distraction.
    just breathtakingly gorgeous...
    between the lights and the soaring music and vocals - one of the most beautiful shows I've seen in 20 years :)
    08 6/11 WPB 6/12 Tampa 6/24,25 MSG, 8/7 Ed @ Newark
    07 8/5 Lolla 8/2 VIC
    06 7/22,23 Gorge 7/20 Ptl
    04 10/8 VFC Kissimmee
    03 4/11 WPB, 4/12 HOB Orlando, 7/8,9 MSG
    00 8/24 Jones Bch 8/9,10 WPB
    1998 9/22,23 WPB 1996 10/7 Ft Laud 1994 3/28 Miami
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    The crowd for Clapton was very quiet during the songs.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    I saw Van Morrison last spring in NYC and it was too quiet, both the music and the audience, it had the feel of a Broadway show.
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Brainofdz wrote:
    I saw Van Morrison last spring in NYC and it was too quiet, both the music and the audience, it had the feel of a Broadway show.

must have been all those old people falling asleep. :p:)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    gordon lightfoot

ray charles

also gotta comment that it still drives me kinda crazy to hear the boss shush everyone...
  • et21et21 Posts: 112
    Fender_Man wrote:
    It's always worse, when it's known beforehand that the show is being recorded, then the fame seekers tend to go for it in a big way.

I'm guilty of doing this, actually. But I felt like an idiot right after. One of those "Man, that was retarded of me" moments. I was in the non-fan club seats, though. I won't ever do that again.
    I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    The last gig I attended, a band which includes two of my friends, was silent apart from me and a few friends cheering. Everyone else was utterly bemused by hardcore punk songs about Neighbours and Wrestling. They have actually cleared rooms before.

As far as well-known artists go, when I saw the jazz drummer Billy Cobham live he played a drum solo which started off with him tapping his cymbals with his fingernails as lightly as possible for 3 minutes. You could hear people breathing.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • thecorythecory Posts: 290

I've been studying Jim Jones. He had good techniques in crowd control.

i assume you're talking about the jim jones who sings 'we fly high, no lie, you know that we BALLIN'!'

i believe the other jim jones killed thousands of people
  • When I saw Raine Maida on his solo tour this winter, it was eerily quiet on some of the softer songs. The whole show was acoustic guitar, piano and cello, but some of the quieter songs just demanded silence. I was glad people were respecting the music, as his solo work is a far cry from Our Lady Peace. It borders on coffeehouse spoken word poetry most of the time and everyone singing along would ruin the effect. Also, in between the opening band and Raine's set, he invited Jared Paul up to do spoken word/slam poetry with no backing music and everyone was dead silent, totally into it. It was quite beautiful.
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • I saw the Allman Brothers in the summer of 2001 at an outdoor venue. The show ended with the bass player or percussionist singing in a cappella. The crowd was so quite you could hear a pin drop.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    thecory wrote:
    i assume you're talking about the jim jones who sings 'we fly high, no lie, you know that we BALLIN'!'

i believe the other jim jones killed thousands of people
    He meant the killer. Good crowd control. Shoot them, or better yet, give them Flavor Aid

Not THEcory?
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    A few moments at Joe Satriani concert. Mostly due many fans paying attention if he's hitting the right riffs or amazed at how he's able to hit those amazing riffs.

Even I get mesmerized by his guitar playing abilities but he quickly does something amazing to snap us out of it. :)

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Mike_No_OneMike_No_One Posts: 53
    Shawn Smith's UK tour was quiet and respectful...apart from those few people in the London crowd who were still learning how much drink beer they can handle.
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    Ed of course. (you can tune out the screamers easily)

Elliott Smith

Ben Harper ( at times )

Those are the closest things I've seen to what you're referring to.
    NERDS!
  • i like matt.ci like matt.c Posts: 1,121
    I went to one of the Foo Fighter's acoustic shows and that was pretty quiet. Dave was makeing jokes in between songs and everyone was laughing but during the songs it was quiet.
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    I saw Neil Young solo/acoustic at a theater in Akron, OH in 1999. You could hear a pin drop in there and it was an amazing experience. Neil even stopped mid-song at one point and asked a group of people to shut up, saying that he wasn't going to get any louder, and chances are that the rest of the crowd didn't pay to listen to their conversation.

That show featured the most beautiful and haunting version of After the Goldrush that I ever heard.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln