Mandy Moore

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited September 2007 in Other Music
anyone heard the new record "Wild Hope"

supposedly its not a "pop" star album in the mold of jessica and britney but a singer songwriter record

anyone hear anything off it?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• i like her in "saved"
    good actress
  • supposedly its not a "pop" star album in the mold of jessica and britney but a singer songwriter record

i can see that..sounds ok. she has new songs on her myspace [url=pagehttp://www.myspace.com/mandymoore]pagehttp://www.myspace.com/mandymoore[/url]
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    anyone heard the new record "Wild Hope"

supposedly its not a "pop" star album in the mold of jessica and britney but a singer songwriter record

Funny that you should bring her up...

I just saw her twice less than 2 weeks ago. I was there to see the amazing Paula Cole (Mandy was the opener), and I came away from the shows almost interested in buying the album. Coincidence was 2-2 1/2 years ago or so I actually did buy her album "Coverage" (an entire album of cover songs) soley based on the reviews that I'd read which were great...but I hadn't even broken the plastic seal on the CD until last week. Now if I can only manage to actually put it in a CD player and press "play"....

Mandy sounds great live, has a really pretty voice, sweet upper register, not too much vocal range but what she has, she uses very well. She definitely sounds better than she did when she was 14. The song "Gardenia" was a show stopper live...you could hear a pin drop in the room until she finished the last note of the song. The songs from the album that I heard sound like girl-to-womanhood stuff; love songs, you did me wrong songs, growing up songs....she's a fairly simple songwriter but she's definitely got an edge over a Britney or Jessica, quality-wise.

I'm almost to the point where I can admit out loud that I've seen Mandy Moore in concert. Twice. Wow.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • right on. She seems pretty down to earth as well. She admits she has battled depression and is going through her "finding myself" phase in life.

And I think her dating Zach Braff also turned her on to alot of indie rock music. Her new album has guest spots by Rachel Yamagata and is Lori Mckenna, who are two people Zach Braff has spoken of in interviews

dharma69 wrote:
    Funny that you should bring her up...

I just saw her twice less than 2 weeks ago. I was there to see the amazing Paula Cole (Mandy was the opener), and I came away from the shows almost interested in buying the album. Coincidence was 2-2 1/2 years ago or so I actually did buy her album "Coverage" (an entire album of cover songs) soley based on the reviews that I'd read which were great...but I hadn't even broken the plastic seal on the CD until last week. Now if I can only manage to actually put it in a CD player and press "play"....

Mandy sounds great live, has a really pretty voice, sweet upper register, not too much vocal range but what she has, she uses very well. She definitely sounds better than she did when she was 14. The song "Gardenia" was a show stopper live...you could hear a pin drop in the room until she finished the last note of the song. The songs from the album that I heard sound like girl-to-womanhood stuff; love songs, you did me wrong songs, growing up songs....she's a fairly simple songwriter but she's definitely got an edge over a Britney or Jessica, quality-wise.

I'm almost to the point where I can admit out loud that I've seen Mandy Moore in concert. Twice. Wow.
  • Zach Braff's the man! Reppin New Jersey! Seriously go out and watch Garden State if you havent, you don't need to be from NJ to appreciate it.
    "Hey I won't change direction, and I won't change my mind..."
  • OffStuGoes wrote:
    Zach Braff's the man! Reppin New Jersey! Seriously go out and watch Garden State if you havent, you don't need to be from NJ to appreciate it.

totally agree. Zach Braff is awesome. Scrubs, Garden State, the Last Kiss. All great stuff.

As much as I think Zach Braff is awesome, and as much as he must have inspired the musical direction of the new Mandy record, check out the Parade magazine from a few weeks back. Mandy talks briefly about her past relationships and says "I met alot of guys that really suck".

Other than that, yes Garden State is in my view, THE movie of our generation. Its the Graduate and Easy Rider of our generation. A hell of a film
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    right on. She seems pretty down to earth as well. She admits she has battled depression and is going through her "finding myself" phase in life.

And I think her dating Zach Braff also turned her on to alot of indie rock music. Her new album has guest spots by Rachel Yamagata and is Lori Mckenna, who are two people Zach Braff has spoken of in interviews
    She does seem to be interested in surrounding herself with real music makers...which is never a bad thing.

She's very chatty during her show and easily gushed about Lori and Rachel. One thing that was very pleasant about her show was that she simply seemed like a very nice girl (I say "girl" even though she's 23). She's making decent music, seems to be an actress of considerable skill and has yet to make an ass out herself like her contemporaries have. So good for her.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace