just saw Death Cab live...

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited April 2008 in Other Music
and they were great. Had high expectations, and wasnt let down. highest quotient of teen girls at a concert I have been to. They get alot of crap here on the board but Death Cab are a solid band. They arent trying to be on anyones best live act list, and they arent trying to create the next Funeral or Nevermind. Opening was The Cave Singers, very MMJ esque, sound just like the name suggests.

Death Cab have remained my favorite or at least in myop 3 bands, and provided the soundtrack to my life for the last year and a half. I see no reason after seeing them to change that. Many people disliked plans, but in my opinion, it and trans are two of my favorite albums of all time.

The new album, or at least the songs they played from it, sound great. The theme I can pick up, seems to be about growing up, finding onesself and becoming restless. of course I think thats so unrelateable! Sarcasm intended folks!

They arent the greatest live band ever,and they arent the greatest studio band ever either, but they are one of my favorite bands and they speak to me and their entire genre speaks to me in ways that Nirvana and Pearl jam did in the early 1990's.

Go check out Death Cab live!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ...nice review, thanks for the heads up. they're actually playing in Berlin when I'm there for Radiohead in July, and we've been considering going there.
    I haven't listened to more than what's on their myspace though, any recommendations for starters? :)
    Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your own home.
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    Can't wait for their show in June :)

Suggestions for bedface... I love, love, love Plans and Transatlanticism.

They have this great gift for songwriting, as the OP mentioned... pick up the small details of life and paint beautiful pictures about it. I have their words to think of memories, a love lost, a good friend...
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    i love death cab. saw them two years ago and it was one of my favorite concerts of all time. really looking forward to the new album.
  • Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    Their set at Bonnaroo is definitely on my list of must sees. My first introduction to DCFC was their opening for PJ on VFC. Was fortunate enough to catch them 5 times that year and three times since. Excellent band , whether the listener is a teenager or a forty-something like me. Excellent music is excellent music.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    meme wrote:

Suggestions for bedface... I love, love, love Plans and Transatlanticism.

So weird, I feel these two albums represent the polar oppisite of this band.

Transatlanticism is one of the best albums in the 2000s thus far, for me at least. They have such a great sound on this album, people call it EMO, I seriously don't give a shit, this album *is* very emotional, it's a thing of beauty. It really does pull at you when you listen. Gibbard and Walla will have a tough time ever topping this masterpiece.

I cannot stand Plans. It doesn't help that this was Transatlanticism's follow up, and it's their first on a major label after leaving Barsuk. The tone seems very bland and over all, it just feels like it was overproduced for the mass market. So disappointing.

I'm a huge fan of "We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes" ... the two song Company Calls (and it's epilogue) "story" being the highlight ... intersting complimentary songs back to back. 405 is a beautiful song, if you can find the acoustic version, it's amazing. They also wrote a not too flattering song about where I was born (Lowell, MA)

The Photo Album is a good pick up as well ... We Laugh Indoors is a great rocker.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Looking forward to seeing them at Bonnaroo this year. 'I Will Possess Your Heart' is fuckin awesome.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    jimed14 wrote:
    So weird, I feel these two albums represent the polar oppisite of this band.

Transatlanticism is one of the best albums in the 2000s thus far, for me at least. They have such a great sound on this album, people call it EMO, I seriously don't give a shit, this album *is* very emotional, it's a thing of beauty. It really does pull at you when you listen. Gibbard and Walla will have a tough time ever topping this masterpiece.

I cannot stand Plans. It doesn't help that this was Transatlanticism's follow up, and it's their first on a major label after leaving Barsuk. The tone seems very bland and over all, it just feels like it was overproduced for the mass market. So disappointing.

I'm a huge fan of "We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes" ... the two song Company Calls (and it's epilogue) "story" being the highlight ... intersting complimentary songs back to back. 405 is a beautiful song, if you can find the acoustic version, it's amazing. They also wrote a not too flattering song about where I was born (Lowell, MA)

The Photo Album is a good pick up as well ... We Laugh Indoors is a great rocker.

Interesting. Honestly, the identities of the two albums blur a little. I would not have been able to tell you which song was were before checking it out. I'll agree after checking, that Transatlanticism was lyrically better and they could be perceived as having gone "poppish" with Plans. But I love both :o
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    Saw them a few years ago. Not one of the best gigs of my life, but very solid performance and a lot more fun than I expected. Can't wait to see them in the summer!
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen