11pm curfew

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited May 2007 in Other Music
What idiot came up with this idea, and when was it instituted? Its such a stupid rule. Most bands I have seen in the last 3 or 4 years have all, almost without exception abided by the 11pm rule. It sucks big time
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ZanneZanne Posts: 899
    Where is that a rule?
    Just me
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    What idiot came up with this idea, and when was it instituted? Its such a stupid rule. Most bands I have seen in the last 3 or 4 years have all, almost without exception abided by the 11pm rule. It sucks big time

In many cases, it has to do with union overtime regulations, local noise ordinances (for outdoor venues) or to coincide with public transport (pubs in London used to close at 11pm so that everyone could catch the last subway).

Most small clubs are non-union, and they make most of their dough on drink sales, so they go much later....its a great incentive to check-out lesser-known bands!

I believe in the rights of laborers, but since unions demand that their members be paid high wages/overtime rates, we all suffer in the form of higher ticket prices and early curfews.
  • ZanneZanne Posts: 899
    Honestly, I've never seen a band only play until 11pm. In the case of a big name band playing a concert, I've never seen one end before midnight.. and in bars and the like with local bands, they often play until 2am, sometimes later. I'm in the Chicago area, so I am curious where this 11pm rule is applicable.
    Just me
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Zanne wrote:
    Honestly, I've never seen a band only play until 11pm. In the case of a big name band playing a concert, I've never seen one end before midnight.
    Serious? The only time I've seen major bands play past 11pm is at festivals because they're out in the country so noise laws don't apply. Every other gig I've been too ends at 11.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    It's starting to happen in Portland, which is what Che might be referring to.

I have no idea why this is happening. I almost missed MMJ and KOL because of it. It's only been shows at the Crystal Ballroom from what I've experienced.
    NERDS!
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Most gigs I've been to in London finish by 11, I think it's mainly so people can get home since public transport doesn't run all night. Sometimes they will run over by 15 minutes or so, but that doesn't happen often.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Well say you live next to the arena. Do you want to her 50 cent bumpin till 1am tearin the club up if you have to be up to go to work at 5am the next morning?

I know i don't.

Hey it sucks sometimes but it in the case of not bothering the peace of others i understand and dig it.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • spida1998spida1998 Posts: 86
    I believe the 11pm curfew in the UK is almost universally applied, and relates mainly to noise pollution after that time. Some people ignore it by a few mins (Chris Cornell - damn you! Missed my last train home...) but I think you have to apply in advance to get a later licence.
    London - 29/05/00
    London - 30/05/00
    London - 20/04/06
    Dublin - 23/08/06
    London - 18/06/07
  • depopulationINCdepopulationINC Posts: 2,074
    Zanne wrote:
    Honestly, I've never seen a band only play until 11pm. In the case of a big name band playing a concert, I've never seen one end before midnight.. and in bars and the like with local bands, they often play until 2am, sometimes later. I'm in the Chicago area, so I am curious where this 11pm rule is applicable.

When PJ last played in Alberta (I believe in Edmonton) the lights started coming on at curfew, and Eddy was like 'well, I guess we are done' You could tell they wanted to do another song or 2.
    The only thing I enjoy is having no feelings....being numb rocks!

And I won't make the same mistakes
    (Because I know)
    Because I know how much time that wastes
    (And function)
    Function is the key
  • PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    spida1998 wrote:
    I believe the 11pm curfew in the UK is almost universally applied, and relates mainly to noise pollution after that time. Some people ignore it by a few mins (Chris Cornell - damn you! Missed my last train home...) but I think you have to apply in advance to get a later licence.
    which sucks because it means PJ won't play more than 2:15 in Wembley :(
    the place has no residential nearby so no problem with noise and there's trains until after midnight, so again, no reason to finish so early.
  • depopulationINCdepopulationINC Posts: 2,074
    oh yeah, and most curfews I know of are due to noise. Most cities will have no issue with a band playing later, but it comes with a hefty fine.

I was at one show, that they were like 'well, we made too much noise for too long, so the fine already has to get paid, so we might as well keep playing'
    The only thing I enjoy is having no feelings....being numb rocks!

And I won't make the same mistakes
    (Because I know)
    Because I know how much time that wastes
    (And function)
    Function is the key