Most grueling band tour schedules?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited July 2008 in Other Music
The Avett Brothers were supposed to play my neck of the woods, but they cancelled, or the promoter did, citing the fact from Aug 1-24 the band will have a mere 2 days off. Thats pretty intense touring.

Anyone know any other ridiculous touring schedules? Alot of people, myself included, romanticize the whole rock star and touring lifestyle, but it definitely has some downsides. this is one of them.

anyone have any other grueling tour tidbits?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    George Thorogood "50 States in 50 Dates" Tour takes the cake everytime.

AC/DC in 1991 for thunderstruck tour played a show every third day for a year straight on avg. thats bad ass too.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Pretty sure that nobody can beat Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. I am starting to think that the guys in the band dont even have homes. They have been back and forth between the US and other countries for the last few years with basically no breaks.

171 shows in 2007 and already 50 this year and they are still touring.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    The bands that played the Warped Tour have it rough. The generally play day after day, riding on shitty busses. They often don't get to shower. The Warped schedule changes every day, so a band that plays last one night may be the first band on stage at 11 a.m. the next morning. They don't know what time they will be on until that morning. That's one reason why a lot of the bigger acts only play a portion of the tour instead of the whole thing.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    boroff89 wrote:
    The bands that played the Warped Tour have it rough. The generally play day after day, riding on shitty busses. They often don't get to shower. The Warped schedule changes every day, so a band that plays last one night may be the first band on stage at 11 a.m. the next morning. They don't know what time they will be on until that morning. That's one reason why a lot of the bigger acts only play a portion of the tour instead of the whole thing.

Except for NOFX. It seems like these guys have been playing every warped show for the last ten years :)
    NERDS!
  • The Black Crowes have done over 50 so far this year and about 70 left.
    You wouldn't let a clown fix a leak in the john, so why let these hooligans tear down the biz?

San Diego 06
  • LivingBubbaLivingBubba Posts: 135
    Drive-by Truckers....... hardest working band out there, 70 shows already this year, headed over to Europe now then back for a few more US legs.

Played around 130 shows in 2006 ..... too many to count
  • iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    the monotonix play over 200 shows a year...and a really great show at that. i don't know how they have the energy to do what they do...playing the drums w/ cymbals aflame, climbing all over the place, and moving the entire show outside to the parking lot. though it looks like they're taking a well deserved break after november...but still it's insane.

if they're in your area, i definitely recommend checking them out! just be prepared to be a hot, sweaty mess.

http://www.myspace.com/monotonix
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • jwillmojwillmo Posts: 470
    I will have seen the Hold Steady next week three times in like 8 months, and they don't even live in Austin. The usually play about 4 or 5 shows a week when they're on tour. And they've been touring pretty notstop (give or take a few mos. off here and there) for the past few years. And they've released four albums in five years.

I love the Hold Steady.
  • hoopinmanhoopinman Posts: 294
    The String Cheese Incident(yea I know its a silly name...get over it) played 270 shows in 1998 and then in 99 played 250 and in 2000 played 235

thats just sick
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,152
    hoopinman wrote:
    The String Cheese Incident(yea I know its a silly name...get over it) played 270 shows in 1998 and then in 99 played 250 and in 2000 played 235

thats just sick
    Damn I guess they didn't release anything within that time. Thats just crazy.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    To be old dudes, Willie Nelson and B.B. King basically live on the road
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • phatuciniphatucini Posts: 399
    queens of the stone age did some intense touring during their Nick Oliveri days.
  • Rjonesrm20Rjonesrm20 Posts: 380
    goldfinger played 385 shows in 1996....i think thats about as rough as it gets...multiple shows in one day.
    1998: Indy 2000: Indy, Cincy 2003: Lexington (m.e.o.), Cincy (cancelled),Indy 2004: Toledo 2005: Atlantic City 2 2006: Cleveland, Cincy 2008: Los Angeles1 (EV solo)-front row center!West Palm Beach-2nd row!, Tampa, Chicago 1&2-(EV solo) 2009: Nashville 1&2(EV solo) Memphis(EV solo) Chicago 1&2
  • hoopinmanhoopinman Posts: 294
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    Damn I guess they didn't release anything within that time. Thats just crazy.

actually they released a live album and a new album of original material
  • The most gruelling schedules aren't necessarily the ones with the most dates. They're usually the ones that are the most ill-thought out, logistically. Look at The Jimi Hendrix Experience's gig listings for 1968 and you'll see what I mean. Mitch Mitchell often complained about boarding a plane in a drought, and getting off in a blizzard, and he wasn't exaggerating.
  • jasonwjasonw Posts: 390
    boroff89 wrote:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say no band has ever played the last slot at warped tour than played the opening slot of the next day....or any other day for that matter
  • jasonw wrote:
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say no band has ever played the last slot at warped tour than played the opening slot of the next day....or any other day for that matter

gonna have to agree with that
  • nothingheadnothinghead Posts: 270
    iamsampj wrote:
    the monotonix play over 200 shows a year...and a really great show at that. i don't know how they have the energy to do what they do...playing the drums w/ cymbals aflame, climbing all over the place, and moving the entire show outside to the parking lot. though it looks like they're taking a well deserved break after november...but still it's insane.

if they're in your area, i definitely recommend checking them out! just be prepared to be a hot, sweaty mess.

http://www.myspace.com/monotonix

man, saw them open for The Gutter Twins in San Francisco...strangest fucking show i've ever seen. kept expecting sasha baron cohen to jump out or to see a youtube video about how we all were just being messed with.

that said, i must say that it was rather enjoyable. and also, can you imagine how opposite Mark Lanegan and the monotonix were? i mean, seriously?