Jimi Hendrix Machine Gun

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited January 2007 in Other Music
Never understood why whenever someone on this board makes a top 10 guitar solos list, they never include this gem by Jimi. It was the goddamn highlight of the Band of Gypsy's record. The solo alone, communicated so much. If it had just been the solo the song would still be powerful. Essentially what the song and solo communicate is what the Vietnam war did to that generation of people. You can feel it in the solo. The world has taken a toll, the chaos and craziness of that time can be felt by listening to this song.

When Jimi's guitar makes that 10 second long distortion sound, signaling the beginning of the solo, its pure heaven.

This song should be taught in history classes to show what affect the war had on people.

Insane song, insane solo. I have yet to hear a more convincing argument for the best guitar solo ever recorded.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• very powerful song/solo
    i'll trade you my tee shirt for a grilled cheese
  • Best intro licks in history.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Best live album in history.

Changes is Awesome as well.
    NERDS!
  • A lot of people are only impressed by guitar twiddling for its own sake, which is a shame, because if they listened closer to Machine Gun they'd hear someone using the guitar as an artistic medium, to express in music, vibration and electronic sound the pity, horror and anguish of war. Machine Gun is more than a guitar solo: it's a work of high art with profound relevance to our lives.
  • A lot of people are only impressed by guitar twiddling for its own sake, which is a shame, because if they listened closer to Machine Gun they'd hear someone using the guitar as an artistic medium, to express in music, vibration and electronic sound the pity, horror and anguish of war. Machine Gun is more than a guitar solo: it's a work of high art with profound relevance to our lives.
    Well said Fins. It's more a piece of art than a solo; like many of his songs, it couldn't be more far removed than the effortless fingertapping of Slayer's latest offering.
  • Best live album in history.

Changes is Awesome as well.

great song

Who Knows is my jam..i love everything about that song
    i'll trade you my tee shirt for a grilled cheese