Is their an indie style or look?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited February 2008 in Other Music
Whether we as fans or creators of music like it, musical genres and movements have definable styles and fashions and looks. Punk rock fans and bands wore and wear tight black clothes, safety pins, Mohawks etc… Grunge meant you wore flannel, had long hair and wore Doc Martens.

I am a musical fanatic, and have an extensive knowledge of both musical and general history. I am sure many on this board claim similar feelings.

What would indie rock’s style, fashion and look be? Assuming when you say “indie rock” to someone, an average Joe on the street, they think of the figureheads of indie rock like Death Cab, Modest Mouse, Arcade Fire, Bright Eyes, Iron and Wine, can we say those bands and their fans have a defined look or style or fashion to them? In my mind I cant detect any of that, any cohesive movement fashion or look.

Maybe someone can back me up or correct me as the case may be, but if I am indeed correct in that assessment that indie rock as a musical movement lacks a defined fashion, style or look, it would be the first musical genre or scene or movement that didn’t follow that trend. Think of a random musical scene. Any genre I can think of has a fashion and style. Punk, metal, hip hop, grunge, country, reggae, folk, all have a certain style and fashion albeit stereotypical that one thinks of and can picture when you talk about said genres. Not so with indie rock.

Thoughts on this?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• plaid shirt
    don't shave for 5 days
    scruffed hair
    worn jeans
    worn chucks
    hooded sweatshirt

basically trying to look like they have no style, but ending up creating a style for themselves.

The artists have no defined style, but the fans sure do. then what's worse are the one's who are trying too hard.

Trying too hard:
    Skinny jeans
    sun glasses (in a dark room)
    Heavy dark black clothing (at a summer music festival)
    perfectly messy hair
    vintage T-shirt
    80's anything accessories (leggings/headband/fashion hat)
    apathetic attitude
    can never smile
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • jecicajecica Posts: 954
    I think indie rock people dress like:

Fitted Jeans
    t-shirt - nostalgic print
    corduroy jacket
    chucks or docs
    dark rimmed glasses
    scarf - even when it is warm out.
    p-coat
    Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.... (Voltaire)
  • iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    skinny jeans are the base to any "indie" look. add in scarves and super v-neck tees and you're set. throw on a pair of slouchy boots (for girls at least) and that sums up the typical look.
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Same as emo basically, terrible look I might add
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    iamsampj wrote:
    add in scarves

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.wordpress.com/2008/04/30/97-scarves/

"Stuff White People Like"
    #97 Scarves
    April 30, 2008 by clander

White People’s body temperatures do not operate on logical or consistent levels, and because of this white people are often forced to wear clothing combinations that might seem strange or illogical. One popular example is the performance vest which solves the age old problem of cold chest hot arms. Another common combination is wearing shorts with a sweatshirt which helps bring about comfort when your upper body is chilly but your lower half is sweltering. But without a doubt, the one piece of clothing that helps to regular white body temperature in all situations is the scarf.

During winter months, it’s no surprise to find white people all bundled up with scarves around their neck - it just makes sense. But even as the weather warms up and the other layers start to fall off, the scarf remains.

It is not uncommon to see a white person in jeans, a sweater and a scarf. In fact, it’s not a rare occurance to see a white person in a t-shirt, jeans, and a scarf. Thats right. A thin cotton t-shirt paired with a scarf to enable maximum temperature control in bars and places with air conditioning

But not all white people wear the scarves for temperature reasons. A well made scarf can be an essential part of a white ensemble, allowing for all-important differentiation from other white people wearing the exact same clothes as them. Thus allowing them to picked out of the crowd for dating or mocking purposes

“I like the guy in the white American Apparel shirt with the glasses.”

“Which one? there are eight.”

“The guy with the keffiyeh.”

“Oh yeah, you’re right. He does look smarter and more political than the other guys. He’s clearly more sensitive to wind, so he’s probably more sensitive in general. You should totally date him.”

Along with making up a key part of the white wardrobe, scarves also function as a vital pillar of the white gift economy. Due to their relative ease of creation, many white people (especially women) like to knit scarves for friends and lovers. For this reason alone, if you find yourself needing a new scarf but not a long term relationship, dating a white woman might be the easiest and most cost effective solution.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    i love that fanch! as a matter of fact...i think i'm going to wear a scarf today. sure it's 80 degrees outside, but i must set myself apart from all the other urban hipster girls ;)
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    Just try to look like the biggest douchebag possible, and you're indie.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Go find you a picture of the Strokes. Like them.
  • I'm not sure about America or Canada but there's absolutely a British Indie look and I fucking hate it. You can tell a London Indie kid from a mile off.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    I'm not sure about America or Canada but there's absolutely a British Indie look and I fucking hate it. You can tell a London Indie kid from a mile off.
    Try living in a student area...*shudders*

I hate students. I hate indie kids. There are so many student indie kids. They just want to be so cool and so different, and they try SO hard, bless them.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • audiodave wrote:
    Try living in a student area...*shudders*

I hate students. I hate indie kids. There are so many student indie kids. They just want to be so cool and so different, and they try SO hard, bless them.

My brother is one. I'm the depressive grunge kid and he's the way-too-happy-all-the-time, I-went-to-a-fucking-amazing-party-last-night hipster Indie kid. We try to laugh about it... emphasis on the word 'try'. :o
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison