layered/multi-layered albums

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited February 2008 in Other Music
What bands or specifically what albums would you consider the top tier in terms of layering and multi layering? This could be in any number of ways, multi layered vocals, sounds and instruments, layered in terms of themes and concepts etc…

Nothing against non layered music (I am a huge fan of Pink Moon, and any acoustic music), but no one ever seems to talk about this topic.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• For me, no question, hands down: Fugazi.

dual drums sometimes, two guys as lead singers, they always changed their sound with each album. and all while being as punk as punk gets.

close second: Sonic Youth.
    2004: Toledo; Grand Rapids
    2006: Grand Rapids; Auburn Hills
    2009: Chicago
    2010: Columbus
    2011: East Troy (PJ20), both
    2013: Wrigley Field
    2014: Detroit
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Kayo Dot.

Listen to the last 2 minutes of The Manifold Curiosity and then weep for the studio engineer who had to deal with that.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Nine Inch Nails: The Fragile

i've seen Trent say in interviews that some of the songs had as many as 80 or more tracks on them.

And every time i listen, i hear something new i never noticed before. It's fucking amazing.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,365
    Nine Inch Nails: The Fragile

i've seen Trent say in interviews that some of the songs had as many as 80 or more tracks on them.

And every time i listen, i hear something new i never noticed before. It's fucking amazing.
    i agree.