How far will the record industry go to protect its interest?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited February 2008 in Other Music
Seems to me its almost a disconnect with reality. Contrary to how many act on this board prior to a PJ cd release, most people on this board I would assume and most people in our generation steal music online rather than buy the physical cd. It’s a fact of life. There is a reason Napster was created by a college freshman and not a 50 year old retiree.
Talk to people of our parents age. They have no comprehension of why we steal music and why we feel its justified.

So my question is, how far will the RIAA take it? They are fining music lovers. We love the music the record industry puts out, but its too expensive. Lets be honest people. You can buy a spindle of 100 blank cd’s for 20 to 30 bucks. If you were to go to a cd store and buy 100 cd;s there, it would run you hundreds maybe even thousands of bucks.

There was an article on Rollingstone.com about how file shared music is lower quality sounding than cd’s, record, tapes etc… I don’t give a damn personally. I don’t like spending 20 bucks for a goddamn cd. It’s a rip off.

Bands aint getting money off the 20 I spend at a cd store buying their cd. The record label is getting the majority of it. That’s why they are flipping out. Their only source of income is not viable anymore.

Why do people act like downloading cd’s is a crime? It’s an act of defiance. We download because we love music and the artists making the music. We download because its necessary. I hate the high horses people get on when discussing this issue.

20 bucks per cd is highway robbery. I don’t care if you speak about PJ, Uncle Neil or Dylan or anyone else highly respected. That’s too much. And its wrong for them or their record labels to charge such high numbers.

If downloading a cd only harms the record label as opposed to the artist, why do people act like its such an insult to artistry to download? The artist isn’t getting squat when you buy a cd at your local cd store.

Downloading whether artists and labels and consumers like it or not, is the way of the future. It is the logical response to an antiquated system that takes the artist and artistry for granted at the expense of big business and contracts that leave the artist penniless while the label rakes in the dough.

I support those who download.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Downloading the music doesn't exactly help the penniless artist...

If you felt a baker wasn't being paid adequately for his work, would you steal bread out of a shop?
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • thats my point.

Buying music from a cd store, buying the physical cd doesnt help the starving pennyless artist either.

When you buy a physical cd the majority of that money goes to the record company.

And lets be realistic people, we all know music is art and that music is essentially priceless, but 20 bucks is absurdly ridiculous for a cd. That alone is highway robbery.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    To play devil's advocate, the artist has a choice re: going with a big label, and also, the label is the one risking all of the money.

I agree that major-label deals are often unfair to artists, but that doesn't mean people should steal music.

If eveyone justified their crime as an "act of defiance", society would be even worse then it is now!
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Okay, let's say that $20 is pretty high based on your writing (And you can get CDs much cheaper in many stores). What if the money goes directly to the artist, as a digital download - how much would you be willing to pay (ie. how much do you think the artist should get?)
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    I think it'll level off and record companies will find new ways to make money. It's already starting to happen with the '360' deals. When before the record company would just want a slice of the record sales, now they want a larger portion of the record sales plus a proportion of ticket sales and merch sales. Thus, the company make their money back through other means. Ticket prices will more than likely go up, as that's one way of definitely getting the money without the consumer finding a way round it. All in all the record companies will do fine, it'll be the artists who suffer. Won't affect the big leaguers, but ties smaller bands even tighter to their deal.

Simply suing everyone isn't going to make a difference, and attempting to make it socially unacceptable hasn't worked either. Hiking the prices of the associated products is the only feasible way for the record companies to be happy. Especially when a lot of downloaders use the argument that they download the records so they can afford to see the band live. If they want that to be the case then they have to put up with higher ticket prices.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Seems to me its almost a disconnect with reality. Contrary to how many act on this board prior to a PJ cd release, most people on this board I would assume and most people in our generation steal music online rather than buy the physical cd. It’s a fact of life. There is a reason Napster was created by a college freshman and not a 50 year old retiree.
    Talk to people of our parents age. They have no comprehension of why we steal music and why we feel its justified.

So my question is, how far will the RIAA take it? They are fining music lovers. We love the music the record industry puts out, but its too expensive. Lets be honest people. You can buy a spindle of 100 blank cd’s for 20 to 30 bucks. If you were to go to a cd store and buy 100 cd;s there, it would run you hundreds maybe even thousands of bucks.

There was an article on Rollingstone.com about how file shared music is lower quality sounding than cd’s, record, tapes etc… I don’t give a damn personally. I don’t like spending 20 bucks for a goddamn cd. It’s a rip off.

Bands aint getting money off the 20 I spend at a cd store buying their cd. The record label is getting the majority of it. That’s why they are flipping out. Their only source of income is not viable anymore.

Why do people act like downloading cd’s is a crime? It’s an act of defiance. We download because we love music and the artists making the music. We download because its necessary. I hate the high horses people get on when discussing this issue.

20 bucks per cd is highway robbery. I don’t care if you speak about PJ, Uncle Neil or Dylan or anyone else highly respected. That’s too much. And its wrong for them or their record labels to charge such high numbers.

If downloading a cd only harms the record label as opposed to the artist, why do people act like its such an insult to artistry to download? The artist isn’t getting squat when you buy a cd at your local cd store.

Downloading whether artists and labels and consumers like it or not, is the way of the future. It is the logical response to an antiquated system that takes the artist and artistry for granted at the expense of big business and contracts that leave the artist penniless while the label rakes in the dough.

I support those who download.

Well the music industry has certainly changed, but I think the RIAA has pretty much learned to deal with it. The music industry has always been a shady business anyway. I am not sure if the RIAA is still fining people for dowloading music on P2P sites like Kazaa, limewire or whatever. I lost interest in reading up on all that. Seems the industry is doing ok though, it's just that there really is no need for physical cds anymore anyway. It's all digital through Rhapsody, Itunes and bands official sites or their myspace sites. We now pay like 1 dollar per song, or something like that and can burn it to a disc after paying a price. The record label to try and profit off of this have done things like releasing the albums digitally with bonus tracks, and you have to buy the whole album to get the bonus tracks on some of them.
    Really I listen to local bands who release their music independently now anyway so if I buy a physical disc it's just from right off the artists site. I did buy a Physical copy of "Pearl jam" when it came out as well. Piracy has gotten pretty bad over the years no doubt about it, but it's also the people in the indusrty that have shady people working for them doing that, that's how the leaks end up on sites, I can't think of any other way unless the band does what Radiohead does and says "name your price." Seems in the long run, bands get better treatment from the indie labels from what I have seen. I don't care if people download or not, it's a losing battle as far as I can see. I think most bands make all their money from touring and they have done things to try to compensate for their loss on sales of recordings, that's why some bands charge 40 bucks for a T shirt. I honestly think Record labels in general will be defunct in a few more years, due to new technology, we have seen there really is no need for them anymore.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    red mos wrote:
    we have seen there really is no need for them anymore.
    Not true at all.
    Although plenty of bands have claimed to pick up all their fanbase by the internet (Arctic Monkeys, Lily Allen, Panic At The Disco etc.), not one of them has done it without the help of a record company. Sure, in an ideal world people will search to find their own music, but in reality most people are at least subconsciously guided by record companies and marketting. The contacts record labels provide are invaluable and make marketing so much easier. I can see the traditional record label being phased out in the next 20-30 years maybe, but not in the foreseeable future. Radiohead's experiment was a novelty, but after all the hype has died down people are going to notice it hasn't made the blindest bit of difference.

One article I read on record companies made an interesting point about how if labels want to survive they'll have to 'brand' themselves even more. This is already prominent in the electro industry, where people often become fans of many artists of a particular label (e.g. DFA or Ed Bangers), with that label kind of becoming a certification of a particular style and character (backed up with the regular release of compilation albums featuring many different artists from the same record label). So instead of choosing any old artists that might sell (like all the major record companies do at present), labels may become more niche with each having a slightly different personality. In a way it's taking the traditional form of a 'scene' and put it in the modern (albeit artificial) context of a record label.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    To play devil's advocate, the artist has a choice re: going with a big label, and also, the label is the one risking all of the money.

I agree that major-label deals are often unfair to artists, but that doesn't mean people should steal music.

If eveyone justified their crime as an "act of defiance", society would be even worse then it is now!

The major label does front the money but the band must pay them back. Many bands have been signed to crappy contracts usually after a great show they put on. Major lables are a scam to the band as well as the listners.
    I hate quotations. Tell me what you know.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson~

The Tie-Dye Lady is HOT!!!
  • The Problem With Music
    by Steve Albini

http://www.negativland.com/albini.html
    I hate quotations. Tell me what you know.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson~

The Tie-Dye Lady is HOT!!!
  • i download because i can

if there is ever a point where i can't, i will simply pick and choose the music i buy (which won't be much)

and beyond the picking and choosing, i will probably no longer search out new artists and rather stick with the ones i know i will like.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB