Options

Sonic Youth

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited June 2006 in Other Music
Anyone a fan here?

As a beginning guitarist, I am taught to learn chords, and tune the guitar. Whats so great about Sonic youth is they could care less about tuning thier guitar, and if they do tune it, its so out of whack.

I love the way their guitars sound.

Its crazy to think Kim Gordan is in her 50's and still rocking
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    I love Sonic youth. and most bands linked to them.

Mind you the guitars are tuned. They just tune them way different then is considered normal.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Sonic Youth is pretty awesome. I have 5 CDs of theirs and more on my PC. Love the dudes. I'm not sure what to buy next, but it might be the reissue of their first lbum I saw at the store the other day
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    Sonic Youth is pretty awesome. I have 5 CDs of theirs and more on my PC. Love the dudes. I'm not sure what to buy next, but it might be the reissue of their first lbum I saw at the store the other day

I have the deluxe version of Dirty. If you don't have that one, you should get it, even if you have dirty the non-luxe. Really cool extra material.

You probable have Sister, Evol and wasing machine. A thousand leaves is nice.
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    i forgot what site i saw it, but do a google or some search for their tunings, i remember a page that had a pretty good list of the tunings, not sure how accurate all of them were, been forever since i looked it up

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=sonic+youth+guitar+tunings&spell=1

the first one looks good
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    ive never heard a single sonic youth song. am i really missing much?>
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141

somewhat, i love some of their stuff and don't care that much for some others
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    okay ill download some stuff tonight then
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    I have the deluxe version of Dirty. If you don't have that one, you should get it, even if you have dirty the non-luxe. Really cool extra material.

You probable have Sister, Evol and wasing machine. A thousand leaves is nice.

Actually I have (In order of love)

Washing Machine
    Dirty
    SYR 1
    Goo
    Experimental Jet Set, Thrash, And No Star

Bear in mind I REALLY like the first 4, and the last one I only kind of enjoy (but its high points are really high). I need to Get Daydream Nation, Sister and EVOL for sure, probably before I end up going for hte newer stuff. Also, I will grab any SYRs I see used, because I really like their improvisational stuff. I don't know if I could spring for the deluxe of Goo OR Dirty, but maybe I will in the future. I have the deluxe of Crooked Rain Crooked Rain though, and it is a fantastic package.

Dear person who has never listened to Sonic Youth before : Get on it

I suggest:

"The Diamond Sea" - pretty much one of my favourite songs ever
    "Youth Against Facism" - A lot more digestible
    "Dirty Boots" - Kind of a straight forward rocker
    "Teen Age Riot" - pretty much speaks for itself

as for tunings : http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang/tab/
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    yeh great band
    me fave album has to be a tie between Dirty and Experimental Jet Set, Thrash & No Star
    and damn i can't believe Kim is 53 too..amazing.

for those who havent got it..me highly recommend the new reissue of their debut album.
    "I Dreamed I Dream" is just another amazing track
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • Options

That depends one what other stuff you like. I take it you aren't very big on Whitney Houston, If you were you'd probable not like sonic youth. If you like In utro from Niravana (duh) better than you like Nevermind, you might want to check Sonic youth out. Start of with Washing machine I think that is the easiest to get into.

Skip tracer, Diamond sea, No queen blues, Little troubled girl are really good songs.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I am a fan :)

I own

evol
    sister
    daydream nation
    goo
    dirty
    washing machine
    sonic nurse

Can't wait for the new album in june :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    they might be supporting pj this tour?
  • Options
    I BrisK I wrote:
    they might be supporting pj this tour?
    think it's been confirmed they will be supporting in July
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

YNWA
  • Options
    reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    so far i have:

S/T
    Daydream Nation
    Confusion is Sex
    Murry Street
    Sonic Nurse
    Goo

next i was thing of gettin A Thousand Leaves:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Options
    next i was thing of gettin A Thousand Leaves:)
    great choice!...A Thousand Leaves and Experimental Jet Set, Thrash & No Star are pretty underrated imo.

YNWA
  • Options
    pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
    Anyone a fan here?

As a beginning guitarist, I am taught to learn chords, and tune the guitar. Whats so great about Sonic youth is they could care less about tuning thier guitar, and if they do tune it, its so out of whack.

I love the way their guitars sound.

Its crazy to think Kim Gordan is in her 50's and still rocking

haven't heard anything from sonic youth yet. although, i think they did open for a pj concert i was at a few years back. i'm looking forward to hearing some of their stuff.

i read in a magazine the other day that Kim Gordon and one of the guys in the band have been married for about 20 yrs! i think that's awesome. that's like the ideal marriage there, don't you think?--to be in a kick-ass band and have your better half w/ you all the time. you wouldn't have to worry about the long-distance bs getting in the way. i have mass respect for them b/c of this. it would be nice to see more bands like that.
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    think it's been confirmed they will be supporting in July

cool

iam glad is wasn't the strokes!
  • Options
    I cant wait to hear their new album. It sounds like they are gonna have a pretty different sound for this album. They will be minus Jim O'rourke on the new recording. Their last 2 records were phenominal, Murray Street, and Sonic Nurse. I recommend these 2 albums for new fans, they represent Sonic Youth well. Check out Pattern Recognition, Stones, Peace Attack, Empty PAge, Rain on Tin, and Disconnection Notice...
    www.myspace.com/sharkie002
  • Options
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    great choice!...A Thousand Leaves and Experimental Jet Set, Thrash & No Star are pretty underrated imo.

I base this choice soley on the fact that i think Sunday is one of the greatest songs I've ever heard:)
  • Options
    I base this choice soley on the fact that i think Sunday is one of the greatest songs I've ever heard:)
    one of their best songs definitely but "The Ineffable Me" has to be me fave on that album

YNWA
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,451
    I wonder if they will do their "radio hits", or if they will do a more self-induldgent set, which they do on occassion.
  • Options
    lumpyfredlumpyfred Posts: 243
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    I wonder if they will do their "radio hits", or if they will do a more self-induldgent set, which they do on occassion.
    Dunno, but I'd really enjoy Goo and Dirty played all the way through, along with some stuff off their upcoming album.
    Her?
  • Options
    I cant wait to hear their new album. It sounds like they are gonna have a pretty different sound for this album. They will be minus Jim O'rourke on the new recording. Their last 2 records were phenominal, Murray Street, and Sonic Nurse. I recommend these 2 albums for new fans, they represent Sonic Youth well. Check out Pattern Recognition, Stones, Peace Attack, Empty PAge, Rain on Tin, and Disconnection Notice...

Stones and Disconnection Notice and all the songs you listed yeah I'm really enjoying SY at the moment never really got in to them until recently, but since there is hardly much outstanding around at the moment I'm kind of glad about that.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,451
    lumpyfred wrote:
    Dunno, but I'd really enjoy Goo and Dirty played all the way through, along with some stuff off their upcoming album.

Me too!

I repsect their music, but don't think I can sit thru a 20 minute song!
  • Options
    http://www.cmj.com/articles/display_article.php?id=11047248

Does this sound odd to anyone else...? Im not even sure what the Gilmore Girls are, I imagine it is a TV series along the same lines as 7th Heaven or something like that. Anyways, I'll be watching May 7th...
    www.myspace.com/sharkie002
  • Options
    http://www.cmj.com/articles/display_article.php?id=11047248

Does this sound odd to anyone else...? Im not even sure what the Gilmore Girls are, I imagine it is a TV series along the same lines as 7th Heaven or something like that. Anyways, I'll be watching May 7th...
    no it isnt that bad like 7th Heaven.
    dont watch it..but i know it's got a few storylines based on music etc hence guys like Sebastian Bach acting in the show regularly.
    ah well worth watching to hear a new track

YNWA
  • Options
    kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    ha ha i happen to like the gilmore girls, its kind of stupid, but i do think there are a few witty and hilarious lines every show.

sonic youth- i really feel like hearing sonic nurse right now.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Options
    MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    I adore Sonic Youth...such a GREAT band to see live too. Thurston just goes insane on the guitar. :D

One of my favorite albums from them is Sister. It was just a precusor of what was going to happen on Daydream Nation.

I can't wait to see them open up for PJ on the 2nd leg...yeah!! And Kim Gordon, that woman can STILL rock!! Not bad for a woman in her 50s, still rockin' out as if she was in her 20s.:cool: Kim Gordon is my heroine!!
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
  • Options
    3sheets3sheets Posts: 284
    sonic youth is simply an amazing band. i cannot wait for Rather Ripped on June 13th. Let's see i currently have Sister, Daydream Nation, Goo-Reissued/Deluxe ed., Washing Wachine, Murray St., and Sonic Nurse. I used to have the s/t and evol on cassette back in the day. i used to have the regular version of goo on cd, but that got stolen. but it did allow me to buy the new reissue. Overall I have to say Schizophrenia is my fav. song. But i prefer the live version to the album version. Is it just me or does Kool Thing get you in the mood to go on the prowl?
    Live Free or Die!
  • Options
    janegosfordjanegosford Posts: 179
    Oh my gosh, NO!!!!!!!!!! Gilmore Girls is NOTHING like 7th Heaven. GG is actually really smart & it's been apparent for years that the writers have great taste in music. I can see Thurston & Kim being fans. Esp. Kim. It's the kind of show you'd actually want your daughter watching. Smart, powerful, funny women.