Michael Franti and Spearhead

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited October 2006 in Other Music
Just got back from their opening night of their current tour. Seen them 11 times and each time they get better. The new album is extremely political. This is the real deal folks, Michael Franti the lead singer went to iraq wit a guitar and video camera crew, nothing else, no gun, no protection, nothing. And he just sang for the people. He doesnt even wear shoes, because he feels shoes are too expensive for many people. Anyways, the concerts are always very powerful, very cosmic. Its intense.

Very different musically than pearl jam, in that they are more a hip hop, reggae, folk, rock, funk type thing, but they can sure rock thats for sure.

Go see this band, and pick up the new album Yell Fire.

This is music for people who want to feel good, to dance, sing, yell, have fun.

I was stressed out by the war, the environment, just life when I got the new record. War was on my mind. I felt awful. I put the cd in the player. I cranked it up. By the end of the record, I had a smile on my face and a little bit of the burden I felt, had been lifted.

check out the website

Stayhuman.org

Power to the peaceful ya'll!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i remember being at spearhead gig when michael said he was going to iraq. my first thought was how is a man who stands 6'6 gonna keep his head down. fortunately for all of us he came back. he is such a good spirit, he makes even me smile.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    I ABSOLUTELY LOVE this band!! Nothing but GREAT music and GREAT messages by Michael and spreadhead. My boyfriend introduced me to their music 2 years ago. Saw them when they did Power to the Peaceful festival back in 2004 and saw them again for the Harvest Ball 2005, Raggamuffins Festival 2006 AND Power to the Peaceful Festival this year. The energy that this man puts out is contagious!! When he commands everyone to jump, they JUMP!! So much positive energy around!

This man speaks the truth!! I got I Know I am Not Alone documentary, and I must say, this man can get anyone to open up about anything. Truly, there should be more people like him.
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
  • orgirlorgirl Posts: 35
    Just seen them last night! What an amazing show. The energy was off the charts. Everyone should check out the documentary too, it was shown on Direct TV channel 375 (can't remember the name of the channel) tonight at 8pm (Pacific).

This band and the message is one that should not be missed.
  • going to see them in 3 weeks or so.. after being introduced to them 2 months ago here, by you. :)
  • My girlfriend is in love with them and I want to take her to a their show here in a couple weeks but it's at a nightclub and she's only 19. She's kind of disappointed that she can't go. I also owe her because I have definitely f'ed up recently so I need to make it up to her somehow.
    "No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead."
  • I love his music, seen them for the first time on the lowlands festival here in Holland. Bought the album when i got home . And in december im gonna see them again here in Groningen. Can't wait!! And if you guys haven't seen the movie he made I know im not alone check it out !
    When all your dreams turn to dust, vacuum
    When all else fails, read the instruction
  • VINNY GOOMBAVINNY GOOMBA Posts: 1,816
    My friend got me tickets the other day, and pretty much said everything you guys said... Great energy, awesome music. I checked out one of his songs and I like it.

This guy told me it'd be the greatest show I'd ever see, and I took him to Jones Beach 3 in 2000. I'm pretty excited. Anyone else seein this band at the Chance in Poughkeepsie?
  • karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    I don't care too much for their/his music on CD, but live he has brought me to tears. So powerfull and heart felt.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
    his live sets are amazing and so powerful. :) Also, it kicks ASS that he still lives around the Bay Area.

And did anyone see the credits at the end of I Know I Am Not Alone? Right after I think, Bonnie Raitt, Stone Gossard was mentioned in the "THANK YOU" credits. I thought that was pretty cool!

I do love his album, Songs from the Porch though. All of his songs stripped down and totally takes it on another level.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    I have two albums on tape somewhere, I believe it are the first two. They were just called Spearhead back then. Great lyric's. I love the one about the guy who has aids. The music just never did it for me. Maybe that stripped thingy you mentioned is something for me.
  • noellenoelle Posts: 7
    I just bought their new album yesterday! Yell Fire is a great song. I want to see them play live someday.I would like to see the documentary. He was on a San Francisco public TV show talking about the film and did some singing.
    http://www.kqed.org/josh
    Michael Franti was in an earlier band called The Disposable Heroes of Hiphopcracy where they did a version of the Dead Kennedys' California Uber Alles.
  • parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    I've seen them a couple of weeks ago at the Lowlands festival here in the Netherlands...they were OK, nothing more than that IMO.
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
    well, outdoor festival shows are really not that great to see Spearhead in. I always enjoy seeing them in a smaller venue, like the Fillmore or the Bill Graham where they held the Raggamuffin Festival. Now THERE is a place where Michael and the band always shines.:)

I still need to get their new album, but I am thinking i should get it for my boyfriend for his b-day, since he LOVES that band. The way I feel about PJ, is the exact way he feels about Spearhead, even though he is also a jammer :p

And Radioactive, the MC, can sure kick some ass.

noelle, i did hear about him being on that channel, was that on recently?
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    MeddleDeal wrote:
    well, outdoor festival shows are really not that great to see Spearhead in.

I have to disagree here. They have a real vibe of peace love and happiness, the best place to celibrate that is under the sun and in the grass.
    I have listened to the new album, Yell Fire and it is pretty damn good! :D I have heard most of the songs live b/f the album came out. I can't wait til he comes back to the Bay Area.

did anyone attend the Harvest Ball they had in Denver? I attended the one in San Francisco last year. GREAT celebration among fans. so much LOVE at his shows. :)
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~