Options

Days of the new

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
edited December 2005 in Other Music
Anyone remember this band?

I always wondered what the song "Shelf in the room" was about, anyone know?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    I don't know what the song is about. But I do remember the band, and in fact listen to them all the time. I love their first album especially. They fuckin rocked! That whole accoustic hard rock thing really got me going. Too bad they didn't put out more.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
    Have you seen that show "Intervention"?

On one of them Travis Meeks is the subject. He's all f'd up on Meth now.

I was suprised that he was on the show. I don't see any new Days of New coming out anytime soon, judging from that show.
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    Have you seen that show "Intervention"?

On one of them Travis Meeks is the subject. He's all f'd up on Meth now.

I was suprised that he was on the show. I don't see any new Days of New coming out anytime soon, judging from that show.

i saw that episode and thought it looked like travis......in fact wasn't the girlfriend holding the baby and begging him to stay ....holy shit.....he had a van ......fuck he must be broke driving that old van...there was a big write up in rolling stone about how he had been clean but no album in 4 years so perhaps that explains it.....are u sure that was travis meeks
  • Options
    angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    Anyone remember this band?

I always wondered what the song "Shelf in the room" was about, anyone know?
    first album was really good. there second album was kinda weird, with that song "enemy" which sounded like some kind of acoustic rock/techno deal. then they broke up (i guess cause of travis drug problem?) and the rest of the band became tantric. the last time i saw travis, i think he was on that vh1 special with the doors and all these different singers (weiland, scott stapp, a couple of others) doing doors songs
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • Options
    first album was really good. there second album was kinda weird, with that song "enemy" which sounded like some kind of acoustic rock/techno deal. then they broke up (i guess cause of travis drug problem?) and the rest of the band became tantric. the last time i saw travis, i think he was on that vh1 special with the doors and all these different singers (weiland, scott stapp, a couple of others) doing doors songs

the second days of the new was much better than the first........travis kicked out the band members before recording the second album
  • Options
    After the green album, Days of the New also released the Red Album which is very very good. Check out Dirty Road, Hang on to This, and Die Born. I think its better than the first album.
    I caught a flash of flash of your smile through the fog of a dream, I'll have a hell of a time I clearly see, I can't be by your side, see you when I sleep.
    - Jerry Cantrell "Gone"
  • Options
    ryantremor wrote:
    After the green album, Days of the New also released the Red Album which is very very good. Check out Dirty Road, Hang on to This, and Die Born. I think its better than the first album.

totally agree......looking for confermation that it was in fact travis meeks in the a&e show intervention
  • Options
    pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    I've heard the first two albums, but not the third one. They were pretty good and it's a shame that they aren't around still. I did hear that rumor about a new album though.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • Options
    I think he's in Louisville KY doing coke and meth. I just missed him by 10 minutes at this dealers house. Some people I was with dabble in the white (just the herb for me) and when we were there the guy was like hey, do you guys want to meet the lead singer of days of the new? We were like I guess, so we waited around like thirty minutes and he never showed up, so we left. This was like a year ago. He showed like ten minutes later and acted like a complete asshole is what they said. Just a funny story though, I figured I would tell it.
    "That's part of the curse: If you're gonna play the song, you better play it. I've tried to phone in "Jeremy" a few times, and it's tough. It doesn't work."

EV
  • Options
    I think he's in Louisville KY doing coke and meth. I just missed him by 10 minutes at this dealers house. Some people I was with dabble in the white (just the herb for me) and when we were there the guy was like hey, do you guys want to meet the lead singer of days of the new? We were like I guess, so we waited around like thirty minutes and he never showed up, so we left. This was like a year ago. He showed like ten minutes later and acted like a complete asshole is what they said. Just a funny story though, I figured I would tell it.

he's outta there...
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • Options
    he's outta there...

what do u mean?
  • Options
    I liked Tantric more
    they still around?
    Run to the hills
    run for your life
  • Options
    Lived in Louisville when first album came out and it was constantly played on local radio. Awesome album. Didn't hear much of them after that.

I read that Travis' dad was a friend of Scott Litt (who produced some early REM albums). Litt agreed to produce the first Days of the New album as a favor to his dad. Don't know if he produced any other albums for them after that.

I now live in NC and went to a used record store about a month ago and found the first album. Bought it, went home and thought whatever happened to these guys. Got on the internet and read about Travis' meth addiction. Frickin shame that he is a mess. I am a huge Alice in Chains fan and Travis is about the only singer that I would want to hear singing with Cantrell/AIC.
    PJ Cincy 00, Lex 03, Columbus 03, Hershey 03, Benaroya 03, Boston 9/28/04, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, St.L 04, Asheville 04, Kitchener 05, London 05, Hamilton 05, Montreal 05, Ottawa 05, Philly 05, Chicago I & II 06, Cincy 06, Las Vegas 06, SD 06, EV LA2 08, Columbia 08, Camden I & II 08
  • Options
    pipedreams wrote:
    Lived in Louisville when first album came out and it was constantly played on local radio. Awesome album. Didn't hear much of them after that.

I read that Travis' dad was a friend of Scott Litt (who produced some early REM albums). Litt agreed to produce the first Days of the New album as a favor to his dad. Don't know if he produced any other albums for them after that.

I now live in NC and went to a used record store about a month ago and found the first album. Bought it, went home and thought whatever happened to these guys. Got on the internet and read about Travis' meth addiction. Frickin shame that he is a mess. I am a huge Alice in Chains fan and Travis is about the only singer that I would want to hear singing with Cantrell/AIC.

I think that it would be awesome if Meeks got together with Jerry Cantrell and the rest of the guys and made an album. Great idea.
    I caught a flash of flash of your smile through the fog of a dream, I'll have a hell of a time I clearly see, I can't be by your side, see you when I sleep.
    - Jerry Cantrell "Gone"
  • Options
    I heard that Travis was also among the many singers to try out for Velvet Revolver... too bad they picked fucking Weiland.... I guess if its not one fucked up junk head its another ....

I also really liked DOTN and Tantric... last I heard from trantric was a cover of FleetWood Mac's "The Chain", which was not too bad.
    * Molson Amphitheatre - June 28, 2003
    * Air Canada Centre - Sept 19, 2005
    * Eddie Vedder- Massey Hall- Aug 12, 2008
    * Molson Amphitheatre - Aug 21, 2009
    * HSBC Arena - May 10, 2010
    * Air Canada Centre - Sept 11 2011
    * Air Canada Centre - Sept 12 2011

• Options
    pipedreams wrote:

Exactly what me and a buddy were just talking about on the weekend
    meeks and cantrell would make a really good collaboration
  • Options
    I always liked Days of the New, never could figure out what "Shelf in the Room" meant...oh well, just good music!!
    If I could be anything in the world I would be your teardrop...I would be born in your eyes, live on your cheeks, and die on your lips.
  • Options
    GalianaGaliana Posts: 554
    I once heard Travis on a radio program explaing that Shelf In The Room was about having a place where you can put things that have sentimental value and is there when you are going through a rough time. He said he took his "shelf in the room" on tour with him and he set it up in his dressing room.
    Too bad it didn't seem to work for him. :(
    Don't threaten me with a good time.
  • Options
    Exactly what me and a buddy were just talking about on the weekend
    meeks and cantrell would make a really good collaboration

I agree, I think Meeks and Cantrell would be great together. I also thought the Doors (of the 21st Century) should have picked Meeks to front them, but with his problems I can see why they didn't.
  • Options
    Jill-oJill-o Posts: 33
    I love Days of the New!!

Got to see them a few years back at Ziggy's in Winston-Salem, NC. Very cool seeing them in such a small setting.

I think the 3rd album was the best one by far...

I did see that intervention show with him on it....very sad....i'd love to see them live again one day...but i doubt that'll happen