Nirvana-Nevermind

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited May 2007 in Other Music
What does this album mean to you?

Where were you when you first heard it?

What impact did it have, and does it still in your life?

Did you ever see Nirvana live?

Is it as important a record as people claim it is?

Favorite song off the record?

For me, this album means so much. It is one of the most important records to come out in my life. It signaled the beginning of the grunge era, and made me want to move to seattle

I first heard it in my cousins car. My life was black and white before, once I heard it, it changed to technicolor.

The impact it had is immesurable. It is hugely important. It made me want to become a musician. It opened me up to alternative grunge music. It felt like Kurt was speaking to me and my generation. Every song is perfect and a classic. Its a perfect record.

Never saw them live, got offered to go to a Nirvana concert, and a Pearl jam concert as well, but my parents, stupidly said I couldnt go, they were worried about having a 10 year old go along to a concert like that. Something I will regret the rest of my life. A cousin of mine saw Nirvana's last gig in seattle, and Kurt ended up spitting on my cousin.

To me this record lives up to the hype, and surpasses it. It is one of those records that years from now, you can hand a teenager and it will speak to them just as it spoke and speaks to me now. It is one of those records that causes kids to pick up guitars, go to the garage and start a band.

Favorite song is Something in the way, just such a haunting song. He doesnt need to say, what the something is, we can understand that it is painful, and horrific, whatever it is.

The album just screams fall and winter, just darkness. yet the music itself is so lifeaffirming.

The amazon review of it says "The record's historical weight can make it hard to hear now with fresh ears, but the monumental urgency of Kurt Cobain's screams is still shocking"

Couldnt agree more!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Its so important to me that I might not be listening to the great music I listen to today if it wasnt for Nevermind.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Evacuation RulesEvacuation Rules Posts: 2,162

It's one of those classic rock albums without a weak track. It was a big deal when it came out, almost like when Sgt. Pepper was released. The only other album I've felt that way about during my lifetime was OK Computer. Albums have a different impact on you when you live through them. It's easy to look back on something you didn't experince and say "why was that such a big deal?"

Someone let me borrow the CD and I took it into by bedroom to listen.

It was one of the only "new" albums that I purchased back then as I was mostly into older classic rock shit. I listened to it a million times and eventually put it away. I haven't listened to it in years. It's like listening to Led Zeppelin IV or Back In Black - means a lot to me but it's not something I need to listen to again.

Yes I saw them in Bethlehem, PA on the In Utero tour. Luckily there were a lot of bootleggers there so the show has been well documented, which can't be said for a lot of the In Utero shows.

Sure. It was like the "Thriller" of the 90's.
    Favorite song off the record??

Probably "Lounge Act".
  • DocChicagoDocChicago Posts: 653
    I remember thinking it was different, but not that it would signal a revolution. At the time I think a lot of people thought that bands like Nirvana would coexist with hair metal, not replace it.

I do remember hearing Nevermind for the first time in the fall of 1991 and being blown away by its sheer intensity. When the drums kicked in on Smells Like Teen Spirit I knew I was hearing something special. At the time I had no idea whether the album would remain undiscovered or not. Clearly it was "discovered."
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • FreshTendrilsFreshTendrils Posts: 267
    It was one of the first CDs I actually bought with my own money and I remember not really "getting" what all the hype was about, much less really liking it. Suffice to say, it collected dust for several years. In that time span, Pearl Jam's "Ten," Temple of the Dog's album, and Badmotorfinger resonated with me instantly and really set me on my way. I think those albums helped me appreciated Nevermind more so later on when I decided it was time to re-evalute the album. I think Unplugged helped as well.
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    To me it meant the realization that *grunge* had something to offer other than noise and angst at annoying levels....

It meant hat there truly was depth and intelligience and musical magic to be found when it was done right and done well and done thoughtfully.

And that's why that album stands up through time and always will.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • SathogwaSathogwa Posts: 227
    I remember seeing the video for Smells Like Teen Spirit on MTV right before they became big. I had no idea who they were. I wasn't sure if I like the song. I remember thinking it was a little too dark and angry for my tastes. However, despite that, I couldn't get the fucking song out of my head. That scratchy guitar intro and the drums coming in was such a rush! When my good friend bought Nevermind on casette I made a copy and listened to it over, and over, and over again. Something about the music was addictive . . . and I still wasn't sure if I liked them or not. I think it was "Drain You" that did it. That song sealed the deal, and I decided Nirvana was a good band and I liked them. In fact I would have to say that is still my favorite song on Nevermind, and one of my favorite Nirvana songs overall.

I don't listen to Nirvana that much anymore, even though I still like them, but hearing Nevermind is still an emotional experience. I don't know if its the power of the music or simply nastolgia. Probabaly both. But there is still so much emotion on that record. It is this bittersweet, sad, but still very human and moving feeling.

I'm probably the way I am today because I was in my early teens when Nevermind came out and I was caught up completely in its aftershock. The change was maybe not a strictly direct one, but maybe in the way the culture shifted for young people because of its huge impact. Because of Nevermind, you looked at the world differently. You started questioning your surroundings, starting with the music you had been force fed up to that point, and then everyting else after that. There was a whole "alternative" way of being and looking at the world. You stopped being afraid or judgemental of the "other" and became intreagued or at least tolerant. This is probably true for a lot of people of my generation. I think Nirvana did change a lot of things profoundly--probably a lot more than they did musically.

Also, the feeling that music actually mattered was awesome. It didn't last long, but I think its cool that I lived through a time where it did for a little while.

Nevermind was great to get stoned to also. Deep grooves and riffs, heavy tones, hypnotic melodies.
    Sleep on horseback
    Far moon in a continuing dream
    Steam of roasting tea

--Basho
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Sathogwa wrote:
    I remember seeing the video for Smells Like Teen Spirit on MTV right before they became big. I had no idea who they were. I wasn't sure if I like the song. I remember thinking it was a little too dark and angry for my tastes. However, despite that, I couldn't get the fucking song out of my head. That scratchy guitar intro and the drums coming in was such a rush! When my good friend bought Nevermind on casette I made a copy and listened to it over, and over, and over again. Something about the music was addictive . . . and I still wasn't sure if I liked them or not. I think it was "Drain You" that did it. That song sealed the deal, and I decided Nirvana was a good band and I liked them. In fact I would have to say that is still my favorite song on Nevermind, and one of my favorite Nirvana songs overall.

I don't listen to Nirvana that much anymore, even though I still like them, but hearing Nevermind is still an emotional experience. I don't know if its the power of the music or simply nastolgia. Probabaly both. But there is still so much emotion on that record. It is this bittersweet, sad, but still very human and moving feeling.

I'm probably the way I am today because I was in my early teens when Nevermind came out and I was caught up completely in its aftershock. The change was maybe not a strictly direct one, but maybe in the way the culture shifted for young people because of its huge impact. Because of Nevermind, you looked at the world differently. You started questioning your surroundings, starting with the music you had been force fed up to that point, and then everyting else after that. There was a whole "alternative" way of being and looking at the world. You stopped being afraid or judgemental of the "other" and became intreagued or at least tolerant. This is probably true for a lot of people of my generation. I think Nirvana did change a lot of things profoundly--probably a lot more than they did musically.

Also, the feeling that music actually mattered was awesome. It didn't last long, but I think its cool that I lived through a time where it did for a little while.

Nevermind was great to get stoned to also. Deep grooves and riffs, heavy tones, hypnotic melodies.

What he said, even to the point of Drain You being my favourite song on there.:D
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    1. What does this album mean to you?

2. Where were you when you first heard it?

3. What impact did it have, and does it still in your life?

4. Did you ever see Nirvana live?

5. Is it as important a record as people claim it is?

6. Favorite song off the record?

1. Not alot really, it's a good album and all but 'ten' was the album that changed the way I viewed music.

2. In my house. A friend lent it to me probably a few months after it's release.

3. Again not much impact, I didn't really like it when I borrowed it (it wasn't till almost a year later when I brought it).

4. No.

5. I think it's one of the most important albums of the 90's. It brought dignity back to rock music after the 80's.

6. Teen Spirit.
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,136
    This album means a lot to me. I didn't get into Nirvana until I was already a PJ fan, but without this album I probably wouldn't have been able to enjoy the grunge bands, which are still my favorite bands to this day. Like others have said, the album ushered in new attitudes, a new culture, and a new music scene. I think that Nevermind is one of the most important, if not the most important, album to be released since 1990 because of the revolution it jump started and because of the countless number of musicians that have been inspired by this album. Nirvana is the one band that I will always wish I could have seen live. I never really had a chance to see them in concert since I was almost 11 when Cobain died. Like I said in the Dirt thread, it's hard to choose a favorite song off of this album, but I have to go with In Bloom or Drain You.
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    It's a very good album, but for me it's nothing more. I was about 6 years old when it came out so I missed the hype. when I was about 13 or 14 I started listening to rock music. I bought it to see what the fuss was about. I loved it. I listened to it a hell of a lot, but it didn't mean a lot to me. A few of my friends, my band mates in particular were obsessed with Nirvana so a lot of the time we'd listen to them whether I liked it or not. For this reason I got sick of them. By this time I'd already started drifting towards slightly different stuff to the rest of them, so when I finally listened to it, it didn't have a huge affect on me. Still a great album, but no extra emotion attached to it for me.
    Also over the years I've begun to dislike Nirvana more and more. They were good, but overrated.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    I've got it in my collection, and I've given it a fair few cracks at the whip. But, although I think it's a decent album, and you can't deny it's impact, it's just never done anything for me.
    I always prefered 'Badmotorfinger', 'Ten', 'Dirt', 'Dayglo', 'Temple of the Dog' etc.

When you consider Cobain's age when he wrote the album, I think it's amazing. Particularly when you consider Cornell, Vedder etc were a few years older before making any impact.
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223

With Nevermind I lost my virginity to rock music!

I heard Nevermind in the summer of 1993 for the first time (I was 12 yrs old).

Through my teenage years I listened to Nevermind at least once a week. Atm once a month?? I don't know.

I have never seen Nirvana live.

Fav song: it has to be Lithium! Although I like Lounge Act really.

Off topic: now I think In Utero is a better album!
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    this was the first album i heard that changed everything i knew about music. i listened to manson, bush, the late 90's rock stuff. i was just slightly to young when nirvana came out. i always thought they were a popular band with radio hits. like zeppelin or something. all filler. i cant remember what it was but even though i didnt like nirvana my cousin and i would sing these songs all the time. they meant something even when i didnt like nirvana. i guess it got past my brain and into my soul or something.

i dont recall the first time. but after i bought it i listened to it non-stop. i fell for nirvana hard and stopped listening to about everything i had before, except pj i just got in to them not long before.

i think i answer part of this already. and it plays a huge part directly or indirectly. along with pj, nirvana made it clear that music meant something more than sound. i wouldnt be here today if i didnt have music to help me through.

nope

well hair-metal isnt on the radios anymore. and almost everything that is on rock stations was inspired by the grunge scene. like it or not this may very well be one of the most influential albums of the past 20 years.

lounge act

i owe alot to nirvana, i first played guitar to learn how to play manson riffs and metallica. after nirvana i played cause i had things to express. i never played to be cool or for chicks. music lets me keep my demons at bay. and nirvana turned me onto lots of bands id never would have heard of otherwise. pixies, replacements, velvet underground/lou reed(lou reed i highly admire) and even to opening up to less polished music, punk. its not all about how it sounds, its what its about that matters. i think nirvana for the first time in rock history showed alot of dumb kids that there is alot of meaningful music that radio wont touch.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    parel jam wrote:

Off topic: now I think In Utero is a better album!

Touche bro.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    makes a good coaster for my cups of tea ;) nah jokes, i'm just a bit over it & all it's hype, apart from the lyrics it's a pretty simple record. just my cynical 2 cents
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • What does this album mean to you?

1 - In the car
    2 - It brought me into Nirvana (a time of depressions started:p)
    3 - Nope
    4 - Yes I think it is, without this piece of fine music... A lot of music may not have been made by other artists who felt inspired by this band.
    5 - Polly? Drain You? Lounge Act?
    I don't want to be the fool that's behind me but I am...

I'll Hold The Pain... Release...

Yourself