Pink Moon

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited December 2007 in Other Music
I have heard it said that if you like Nick Drakes Pink Moon you wont like Bryter later or Five leaves left. While I love all three albums Pink Moon blows the other two away. I have said it 4 or 5 times on this board and will say it again, Place to Be is the greatest song ever written. Dylan, Bruce, Neil, Eddie all wrote and write great tunes but that song has such mindblowing beauty!

Does anyone else love Pink Moon but feel the other two albums are sort of a let down in comparison?

There is something about the 28 minute running time, and the sheer beauty of those songs.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    I think a more accurate saying is "If you link 'Pink Moon', it doesn't necessarily mean you will like 'Five Leaves Left' or 'Bryter Later'"
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • I tend to group Five Leaves Left and Pink Moon moreso that FLL and Bryter Later.

Bryter Later is good in its own right, but I think if you like either of the other 2, theres still a chance you wouldn't like Bryter Later. The arrangements are so much different with a lot more instrumentation other than guitar and strings. It also has a much more polished sound whereas the other 2 are much more lofi.
    Obama/Biden '08!!!
  • Obi OnceObi Once Posts: 918
    Fell in love with River Man when I heard it, but somehow never listened to more of his work till BinFrog pointed out that Pink Moon is in his top 5 albums ever, bought it, love it.
    your light's reflected now
  • The horns on Hazey Jane II and the unnecessarily exaggerated "irony" in the vocal delivery of the backing vocals on Poor Boy cloy and spoil Bryter Layter. There are gorgeous moments, though. John Wood did a great job engineering the album, and Robert Kirby had great ideas for scoring it too but the musicians didn't always come up to scratch. It could have been a masterpiece, but it isn't. Pity, because the material is superlative.

The material on Pink Moon is weaker than on Bryter Layter, but John Wood did such a fantastic job of capturing Nick, that he took those recordings and made them far more than raw, pained demos and into the album that Pink Moon is.

Five Leaves Left is still my favourite Nick album. There's so much light and shade, different moods, and evidence of that whole Witchseason Productions-era British folk scene, the influence of which spawned the folk-rock feel of Zep's Zoso album later on.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Obi Once wrote:
    Fell in love with River Man when I heard it, but somehow never listened to more of his work till BinFrog pointed out that Pink Moon is in his top 5 albums ever, bought it, love it.

Get out? Nice! Glad you like it too.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Obi OnceObi Once Posts: 918
    BinFrog wrote:
    Get out? Nice! Glad you like it too.
    The pleasure is all mine. I had a "list your best 5 albums ever" thread going for a while and noticed Nick Drake in urs. Saw it in a store for a reasonable price and bought it. Still looking for Five Leaves Left.
    your light's reflected now