The Eraser

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited October 2006 in Other Music
Whats everyone's opinion on Thom Yorke's solo record? Seems to me every song on it can be related to the war or the destruction of the environment and global warming.

I sort of place it in the records being released this year like Tool's new one, Uncle Neil's new one, PJ's new one, Ben harper's new one, Audioslaves new one. Spearhead's new one

All seem to relay and convey a sense of hopelessness, a sense of darkness and desperation. That one song on The Eraser where thom says, "it gets you down". Just listen, not to the words, but the guitar riffs and chords on tool's right in two. I mean this is whats going on right now.

I would suggest 2006 is the best year in music since the early 90's, that said this music is unbelieveably sad and depressing.

I think Thom made a powerful record, that shows what its like living in the world today, in fear of nukes, bombs, war, global warming, etc...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Obi OnceObi Once Posts: 918
    Just listened to it once so far and thought it was a bit hard to digest..
    your light's reflected now
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    I bought this album two weeks ago and I can't stop listening to it.
    It's magic.
    Thom Yorke is a genius. His melodies are awesome and stay in head for hours...

I agree 2006 is a great year for music... I doscivered many good things (Wilco, My Morning Jacket, etc.)
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • A few really good songs

A few good songs

A few okay songs.
    "The sun is shining, but not for me."
  • rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,901
    Not nuts about it, to be honest. After two listens, that is.
    Thom Yorke really annoys me lately. Maybe its hard for me to put that aside and just hear the music. I like much of what he has to say, but the way he says it ... Bleh. Anyhow, its also possible that the record just doesn't work for me. I like many of the new Radiohead songs.
  • OutOfBreathOutOfBreath Posts: 1,804
    The Eraser is currently my top candidate for album of the year, actually. I love it from start to finish. It has a definitely gloomy edge to it, but it suits Yorke's voice and inclination. The whole record is a raw demonstration in simplicity, and how very simple can sound very good if you know what you're doing.

I give it a 9/10. Almost a timeless classic.

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Oui, Oui cest la magnifique monsouir!:D
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    The Eraser is currently my top candidate for album of the year, actually. I love it from start to finish. It has a definitely gloomy edge to it, but it suits Yorke's voice and inclination. The whole record is a raw demonstration in simplicity, and how very simple can sound very good if you know what you're doing.

I give it a 9/10. Almost a timeless classic.

Peace
    Dan

Simplicity ?
    Technically, those songs are sometimes really hard to sing...
    I'm not a singer but I can sing many things without too many false notes...
    This is not the case for that album.
    Thom Yorke's really able to creat incredible melodies that stay in mind, but when I try to sing some lines I have in my head, I can't remmeber the exact melody and tempo..
    At the first listenings, I only loved a few songs (mainly tracks 1, 2, and mostly 8). But the more I listen to the album, the more I think this is one of the best albums of the year.
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm