Dischord Records

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited October 2006 in Other Music
I have a question. A while back I heard that Dischord doesnt make their artists sign contracts. This seems strange and interesting.

How then is the money divided up? How do they decide who gets what in terms of money for touring, album sales etc...?

I dont know if its true but I remember reading Ian Mackaye has no salary as the head honcho at Dischord, that he just takes the profits he makes from the records and puts it into the company.

anyone have any info?

I mean thats a pretty radical thing to do, its one thing to start your own label independent of the mainstream, its another to say, I dont want to make a salary off of being the owner and running this thing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I have no further info, but that's how the music business should be run. I respect Ian MacKaye a LOT and he has inspired me immensely. I know some labels don't use contracts but trust each other with a simple handshake. They just put up the numbers and they stick with it. Both sides, too.

Btw, there have been a lot of bands and labels that have done radical things which are in fact the best way to treat music and artists. SST, Touch & Go, Thrill Jockey, etc, etc. just to name a few. All have stuck with the simple policy of "just putting out great music". Truly inspiring.
    "If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done"

If you can't get high on purely music and the sounds that you hear, you're missing out on something.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i read somewhere that the only bands not signed to Dischord are Fugazi, Lungfish and Bluetip.