Options

The Clash

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited June 2006 in Other Music
Thought I would start a thread praising one of the best bands ever...the only band that matters.

Their music changed my life. They made great music, and also had a good message to boot.

Joe Strummer seemed to me to be in the same vein as Ed Vedder. Both seem to think music is important but that politics is just as important and that music should inspire and cause one to want to rock and pick up your guitar and create, but also to start the revolution and dismantling this system
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    yerreyyerrey Posts: 183
    shit...like you, the clash changed my life. i've been listening to them for 8 years...and i still goosebumps listening to them. i can remember the first time that i listened to 'london calling' -my favorite album ever!- i was flooreed!

i miss joe. i was lucky enough to have met the man before he passed! a hero of mine.

the thing is..joe and the mescaleros were supposed to open up for pj during the riot act tour...how fucking amazing would that have been?

i love the clash!
  • Options
    LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    my love for the clash is only outstripped by my love of Pearl Jam and U2(and sometimes the Chili Peppers).....Truly an amazing band. I also love Joe's stuff with the Mescerlaros, extremely underrated. Joe is one of my main heroes, I wish I couldv'e met him or at least seen him before he passed.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • Options
    kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i love the clash. there can never be anyone who comes close to their sound and style.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Options
    blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    kdpjam wrote:
    i love the clash. there can never be anyone who comes close to their sound and style.

I agree ... they are truly unique ... and I will now put Combat Rock on, as it seems that the CD I was listening to is over. :)
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • Options
    HeelixxHeelixx Posts: 11
    yerrey wrote:
    the thing is..joe and the mescaleros were supposed to open up for pj during the riot act tour...how fucking amazing would that have been?

i love the clash!

Whoa. Shit yeah. That would have shattered my face out of sheer coolness.
    The process of belief is an elixir when you're weak. I must confess at times I indulge it on the sneak. But generally my outlook's not so bleak.
  • Options
    I can't go food shopping with my wife without singing the chorus to "Lost In the Supermarket." LOL. The Clash is incredible.
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,451
    As a 14 year old in 1980, I bought London Calling, and they had me hooked.

I was lucky enough to see them on the Combat Rock tour in 1982, as well as opening for the Who is 82. I also saw them sans-Mick in 1984.

They solidified my love for music, and thanks to that inspiration, I was able to build a career in music.

I still remember the happiness I felt in Jr. High school when I discovered New Wave / Punk.....the Boomtown Rats, Devo, Flying Lizards......Very fresh sounds!
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    I just got into them this year and they are fucking awesome! I definitely see why they were "the only band that mattered."
  • Options
    London Calling is an absolute classic, full of quality tunes like Train in vain, lost in the supermarket, spanish bombs and brand new cadillac.
    However I prefer Combat Rock, cuz its punk in the flesh, and other things on the surface. Straight to hell, know your rights, inoculated city and ghetto defendant are some of the finest songs ever written.
    A more prosperous reason to enjoy British music (than the Gallagher bros)