Punk covers

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited November 2006 in Other Music
every once in awhile before a band comes on stage or before some school production or play, people will play music in the background, punk cover songs. Punk bands covering non-punk songs, like leaving on a jet plane or my favorite things. Sometimes its a punk band covering christmas or holiday tunes. This is actual recorded music, not some local band playing.

Anyone know of any punk bands that cover those types of songs?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    99% of what you heard is probably Me First and the Gimme Gimmes. They are fantastic fun. Their first Have a Ball (which has the Leaving on a Jet Plane on it) is my favorite however on other discs they cover showtunes, songs from the 50's and 60's etc...

It is a supergroup of sorts (NOFX, No Use For a Name, Lagwagon). Shifflet (who now plays with Foo Fighters) is one of 'em.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    transplant wrote:
    99% of what you heard is probably Me First and the Gimme Gimmes. They are fantastic fun. Their first Have a Ball (which has the Leaving on a Jet Plane on it) is my favorite however on other discs they cover showtunes, songs from the 50's and 60's etc...

It is a supergroup of sorts (NOFX, No Use For a Name, Lagwagon). Shifflet (who now plays with Foo Fighters) is one of 'em.

Kickass punk supergroup! I've got a few of their discs. They always draw comments when I play them.

http://www.gimmegimmes.com/

EDIT: Here's a link to their discs w/ tracklists: http://www.fatwreck.com/band/index/16
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Aside from Me First.... who are infact awesome, the punk cover has somewhat took off, there is also the Punk Goes.... compilation series of releases which you can find here:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/102-6205223-3539349?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=Punk+Goes&Go.x=11&Go.y=7

Lots of different artists covering a certain theme of songs 80's, 90's, Pop etc, etc.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    the thing i love about the gimmes(besides the bar on stage) is that from the first song i can sing along cause i know all those daggy songs they cover. it's great. it's like a giant karaoke thing going on.
    i mean i never thought i'd be at a gig singing 'leaving on a jet plane' or 'delta dawn.' brilliant stuff. and now they've done country. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    and now they've done country. :D
    damn, I didn't know about that release. Must get.
  • Sonja_SSonja_S Posts: 444
    They're not good to listen to in the car though. You're at 160km/h in no time without noticing :D
    You can tell a man from what he has to say - Neil & Tim Finn
    They love you so badly for sharing their sorrow, so pick up that guitar and go break a heart - Kris Kristofferson
    transplant wrote:
    damn, I didn't know about that release. Must get.

It came out this year dude.:)
  • xscorchoxscorcho Posts: 409
    dropkick murphys do 'amazing grace' and 'fortunate son'

other than that and me first, im blanking
  • The Clash- I Fought The Law

The Dead Kennedys- Viva Las Vegas

Pennywise- Surfin' USA, Down Under

The Ramones- Spiderman, California Sun

Rancid- La Bamba
    Pandemic wrote:
    The Clash- I Fought The Law

The Dead Kennedys- Viva Las Vegas

Pennywise- Surfin' USA, Down Under

Rancid- La Bamba

Rancid do a very good version of the Clash's Cheat and Sham 69's If the Kids are United.;)

Millencoln do a good version of Working 9 to 5.:D
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Ramones - What a Wonderful World
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    Pandemic wrote:

don't forget the best punk cover of all time - the ramones' what a wonderful world!

i also love 99 red balloons by goldfinger.

punk covers are the best workout songs...they get me fired up. :D
  • 88 Fingers Louie do a cover of "All I Want For Xmas". Pretty good stuff
    Walking is still honest
  • Things to try...
    Anything by Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies (punk cover band... Fat Mike from NOFX is in it)
    "Paint it Black (Rolling Stones)" covered by Gob
    "Like a Prayer (Madonna)" covered by H20
    "Send me an Angel" covered by Thrice (there are a lot off the "pop goes punk" compilation disc)
    "Degenerated (Lone Rangers)" covered by D Generation
    "Walk Like An Egyptian (Bangles)" covered by Joe Queer and the Nobodys (hidden track off Hopelessly devoted to you vol. 2)
    "Man Of Constant Sorrow (Soggy Bottom Boys)" covered by Osaka Popstar
    "Strutter (KISS)" covered by the Donnas

Also, previous posters put "What a wonderful world" as a Ramones cover... it's actually off Joey Ramone's solo album, not by the Ramones... but that's getting picky. Just trying to help if you are looking for it.

There's a helluva lot more I could list, but that outta get you started. If you want more, just ask.
    -Nooch

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

'Well did you evah?' Debbie Harry & Iggy Pop
    Hard Core Logo - OST
    A Tribute to Hard Core Logo
    They love you so badly for sharing their sorrow, so pick up that guitar and go break a heart - Kris Kristofferson
  • Bless you for mentioning Hard Core Logo. What an awesome movie. But isn't the soundtrack and the tribute the same disc with basically different cover art? If not... I gotta get a copy!!!

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

• The Circle Jerks were one of the first. On Wild in the Streets (1982) did Just Like Me and Put A Little Love In Your Heart. On Goldern Shower of Hits (1983) they did the Jerks On 45 medley of a bunch of late '70s-early '80s disco hits (afternoon delight, d-i-v-o-r-c-e, etc)

Any self-respecting lover of punk music should have these albums (and their first, Group Sex).
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
    NickyNooch wrote:
    Bless you for mentioning Hard Core Logo. What an awesome movie. But isn't the soundtrack and the tribute the same disc with basically different cover art? If not... I gotta get a copy!!!

I love that movie. No, it's not the same. The soundtrack is the music the band whose name escapes me at the moment recorded with Hugh Dillon to be used as/in 'Hard Core Logo' and the Tribute is a bunch of bands pretending Hard Core Logo really existed and covering them.

The Headstones, "Son of a Bitch to the Core"
    The Pursuit of Happiness, "Edmonton Block Heater"
    Rusty, "Let's Break Robert Out of Jail"
    Dream Warriors, "Edmonton Block Heater"
    Fishbone, "Words and Music"
    The Super Friendz, "Blue Tattoo"
    The Lugen Brothers, "Son of a Bitch to the Core"
    54-40, "Rock and Roll is Fat and Ugly"
    Sol, "Blue Tattoo"
    Doughboys, "Something's Gonna Die Tonight"
    Chris Spedding, "China White"
    Kinnie Starr, "Canadian Bush Party"
    Odds, "Pipefitter's Clubhouse"
    cub, "Who the Hell Do You Think You Are?"
    Son, "Blue Tattoo"

Let me know if you have trouble finding anything, I think I have one of the CDs twice since it's in the Special Edition DVD and I already had it.

BTW, Hugh Dillon has a new band - The Hugh Dillon Redemption Choir. They're working on their second album produced by The Hip's Paul Langlois at the moment (http://www.thehdrc.com).

edited because proper grammar is a good thing
  • i miss the headstones :( hugh dillon is still the man, however. :)
    i miss the headstones :( hugh dillon is still the man, however. :)

I do too - to a certain extent. I'm not sure what they would sound like now if they still existed. Seems like the band members wanted to go into different musical directions. I liked the first Redemption Choir album, I'm curious what they'll do on the new one.