Death Cab live

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited May 2007 in Other Music
Anyone seen them live?

I was up in Seattle when they played their final show of the 2006 tour, but didnt get to go.

They seem like they would be like the beatles live. meaning that when the beatles played live, they couldnt be heard, over the screaming, fainting, and gasping of female fans who were screaming their hearts out. Seems like a death cab show would be similar. I am a guy and like their music, but it seems like most of their fanbase are teenage girls.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• You'll get mixed responses, but mostly negative. I saw one real good show (Calvin College - G.R., MI.) and one mediocre (when the opened for PJ - GR).
  • iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    ummm...i've seen them twice now and never experienced anything beatle-like. though i did do a fantastic drunken dancing to them at the first show i saw :D

maybe some sing-a-longs, but i never saw any fainting?!? it is mostly girls though. and i will admit to tearing up a bit during any song off of plans...personal issues. there is alot of passion in their live performances that really translates to the crowd, in my experience at least.

great shows though...i love them!! wish ben would've come a bit closer during his solo tour...boo!
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • robowskirobowski Posts: 143
    i saw them open for pearl jam during vote for change concert in toledo oct 04 - and they blew me away! it made me want to buy all of their cds - cutie was haunting live when playing the transatlanticism tracks
    the transatlanticism album was definitely their best and is one of my favs of all-time.
    the plans cd wasn't bad - i just hope for something to come out from these guys in the near future
    As you live your life in sometimes quiet desperation, facing adversity and tragedy: if you have hope and love, that mixture helps you overcome that tragedy and go on with the rest of your life.”
    --Jack Lengyel
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    seen their transatlantacism tour dvd & thought that was just magic, really rockin. would love so much to see them for myself
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    We saw them at 'Roo last year. It was the most perfect time to see them too... around 6 pm, it had been hot all day, we were fucking tired, hungry, just weary in general... go to the Death Cab show (only knowing Plans and Transatlanticism) and was the most relaxing part of the day... it was so perfect. We all just lied down in the back of the field, closed our eyes, and just listened to the music.

Also just saw Ben Gibbard live... he was extremely good! Just him playing acoustic guitar or piano... so awesome.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • macgyver06macgyver06 Posts: 2,500
    they rocked in kissimmee opening for pearl jam at the vote for change
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    They sucked live in my opinion. I mean so bad i'll never go see them again.

I have 4 of their albums. I enjoy their stuff. They are not my fav but i like them. When i saw them i was really into them too I have actually been turned off since that time because they were so uninsipiring live.

They are keeping shoegazing alive.

I saw them on tour with Pedro the Lion, and Ben Kweller. Death Cab was headlining in a great venue. I thought their show was okay.

I saw them open for pearl jam in a larger venue (asheville) i was very unimpressed that time.

They do NOTHING for me live.

Just my opinion and i'm not bashing their music becasue they have some great sogns i still like, but I'll spend money to see them again.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Just my opinion too, I do like most of their music on disc, but I thought they were pretty bad opening for PJ in Kissimmee on the vote for change tour.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    Just my opinion too, I do like most of their music on disc, but I thought they were pretty bad opening for PJ in Kissimmee on the vote for change tour.
    macgyver06 wrote:
    they rocked in kissimmee opening for pearl jam at the vote for change

I was in the third row and I think Mr. Pistachio has the better take on what really happened that night.

Seeing Ben Gibbard sing with Pearl Jam was a nice treat, though.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • FunkdogFunkdog Posts: 85
    i saw them 3 times last year: opened for Franz Ferdinand in Sacramento, headlined at the greek theater in berkeley, and at Bridge School day 1. All 3 times I thought they were great. At bridge they had an abreviated set, but weren't bad at all. The best show was their headlining show in Berkeley. The atmosphere was great, as always at the greek, and they sounded great. Not to mention they ended up cheering me up with a great set because my 2 cousins backed out of going at the last minute, leaving me to pay $180 for 4 tix, 3 of which I had to literally give away. If you haven't seen them see them when they headline, they have a deep catalog of music and need more than 1 hour of stage time.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure" - H.J.S.

"I have come here to chew bubble-gum, and kick ass! And I'm all out of bubble-gum!" R.P.
  • bird jambird jam Posts: 107
    I was in the front row on the VFC tour in Asheville and my reaction to DCFC: meh. I thought they were decent, and I always enjoy seeing live music from up close, but it didn't do a whole lot for me. I enjoyed Gob Roberts more.
    Liberace was great on the piano but he sucked on the organ.
  • CServantCServant Posts: 1,182
    I saw them @ a year ago, and like some of the other responses, didn't care for them much. Not much energy. We actually left before their encore, which is unheard of from me and any event I attend (concerts, games, parties, etc.).
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
  • iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    rhinomagic wrote:
    I was in the third row and I think Mr. Pistachio has the better take on what really happened that night.

Seeing Ben Gibbard sing with Pearl Jam was a nice treat, though.

the sound wasn't all that great for them at that venue. but i missed their entire performance while waiting in line for water so i could be way off!?!

they did a much better job at hard rock live in oct.2006...i had tons of fun. this year at ucf was okay sound-wise...but a great performance i thought.
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.