The Shins

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited May 2007 in Other Music
I love these guys. Really short songs, but they have alot of lyrics and alot of things to say in 2 and a half minutes time. I love the philosophical ramblings of James Mercer as well.

They are a cool band
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pj10alive42pj10alive42 Posts: 381
    Agreed, they are cool
    I'm trying to drink away the part of the day I cannot sleep away...
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    I love this band too. All three CDs are fantastic. I don't listen to a lot of indie rock or really much music from this decade, but these guys have me hooked. Anyone who hasn't heard them should check out the album Chutes Too Narrow. Man that's a great CD.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    I love the Shins:D
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • one of my favorite bands
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    how's their latest? it didn't strike me like the other records i have.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    I like Wincing the Night away. I would say it is alot different than the previous 2. That said, i cant think of a single song by these guys I dislike.
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    true. they have beach boys tones in there. i like them!
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    kdpjam wrote:
    how's their latest? it didn't strike me like the other records i have.

It was a grower for me. I go back to it and i enjoy it more now. It is not a great record but a good record. With so many other good new releases it kind of gets lost in my rotation.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • western pearlwestern pearl Posts: 632
    intodeep wrote:
    It was a grower for me. I go back to it and i enjoy it more now. It is not a great record but a good record. With so many other good new releases it kind of gets lost in my rotation.

Same here. Whenever i listen to it, i love it. There's just so much else out there to digest it gets lost
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
  • Same here. Whenever i listen to it, i love it. There's just so much else out there to digest it gets lost

same here. like the album very much now.

however, chutes too narrow is their best in my opinion. love the fucking shins.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    'Wincing the Night Away' took me a few listens to love. Now it doesn't leave my car. I absolutely love the whole album from start to finish. It will sit in my top ten allbums of the year for sure.
    Cock Fight.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    I love the new CD...anyone seen then live lately?
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    I'd love to see them live. I hope they come to Winnipeg.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    I love the new CD...anyone seen then live lately?

I saw them twice a few weeks back here in San Francisco. They sounded really, really good. Not much variance in the setlists. They didn't play Pink Bullets, Young Pilgrims, or Sea Legs (which I guess James hasn't figured out how to do live yet). They did a really cool cover of Pink Floyd's Breathe. Also, their opening band, Viva Voce, is incredible. Anita from that band joins The Shins to sing on a numer of songs.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.