Do you ever go on a musical kick?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited March 2008 in Other Music
Relates to previous thread on how you choose what you will listen to.

Do you ever go on a musical kick, where one day you listen to nothing but punk or hip hop? Do you ever go extended periods (days, weeks, months) and listen to the same type of music, same genre of music? Ever listen to nothing but (rock, hip hop, folk etc…) for an extended period of time?

Rolling Stone said Johnny Greenwood of Radiohead spent 6 months listening to nothing but dub reggae. I know on the shorter end of the spectrum, Kurt Cobain wrote About a Girl about listening to The Beatles for an entire night.

I myself have spent 1 year listening to indie rock, about 90 percent of the time, and not much else. Which is rare for someone like me who has musical taste that extends beyond one genre.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Forget about same genre...I will repeat the same SONG for a day sometimes. Most times, I'll listen to a single artist for a few days...all depends.

Today, I've listened to nothing but Natalie Merchant songs for example.
  • yeah I do this all the time. Like for the past 3 days I've listened to nothing but Silverchair. And at least once a year I break out all my Beatles albums and go on a binge. I do this with Lennon's solo stuff too. It usually happens around October or so, and it lasts right through christmas. I can't explain it. It's impulsive though.....

And the rest of the time I just listen to Pearl Jam. :D
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • I go on musical kicks a lot. There's a series of documentary DVD's that is also shown on VH1 Classics called "Classic Albums". Basicially they go in to depth on how one of rocks "great" albums was created. I watched one on Queen's Night at the Opera and ended up getting out all of my Queen CDs and listening to those for a week. The same thing happened when I watched the one on Jimi's Electric Lady Land. I dusted off my Jimi CDs and listened to those for a week.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    there is one day in april on which i play nothing but nirvana and AIC. :( :)

every now and again i will have an artist dedicated day.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    absolutely, all the time! some days i'll listen to just one artist or genre, or i'll get on a binge that lasts for days on fave artists like PJ, neil finn, beatles, led zep. i was on a beasties kick just the other day :)
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    usually i'll go on a band kick after seeing them live.....for the past week i've been cranking the foos since i saw them last wednesday....:)
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    last year i went on a big punk music binge for a few months.. got bad religion, ramones, and a few others.. mainly bad religion though.. they kick major ass~

usually when a new album is released i listen to it for a few weeks. lately its NIN - Ghosts I-IV