Little Wing

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited April 2007 in Other Music
Gets my vote for one of the greatest songs ever recorded. Indeed Stevie Ray Vaughan's cover of it deserves a listen, but Jimi accomplished power and poignancy with a 2 minute song. Very powerful song.

First time I ever heard it, i was walking and listening to my ipod. I stopped, in the middle of the street to bask in this track

This song proves that Jimi, although he could blow your mind with a all out psychedelic rabble rouser like Machine Gun, but also could tune and tone it down with this brilliant song

Hendrix may have created more complex songs, but this to me is his masterpiece, a tame, 2 minute masterpiece, without crazy psychdelic flourishes
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    it is a great song, someone posted a clip fo some asian girl playing a really good version of it a while back

hey baby/in from the storm from rainbow bridge is amazing, too

and ssb from woodstock...the bombs, siren, taps....brilliant
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • i like matt.ci like matt.c Posts: 1,121
    First time I ever heard it, i was walking and listening to my ipod. I stopped, in the middle of the street to bask in this track
    Fisrt time I heard it, I was in the car listening to my Ipod and I had to take it back because I couldn't believe what I had just heard. It's so amazing!
    I think my brain just went "what the hell was that?"
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    My favourite song to play by far. I like doing an extended take on Jimis, although SRV's is fucking awesome.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • i love little wing, by jimi. every time i heard it i get all teary eyed, its so beautiful. Thanks fpc!

the corrs version is an abomination though.. its a lounge version, which imo takes away the power of the song, not feeling it. though the corrs are talented musicians, i have never got into thier music, and this hasnt changed my mind. i happend to find it after i listend to the posted lw on youtube...
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    As good as Jimi is (was) , mitch mitchell was brillant on this track as well
  • I got to know this song as an Eric Clapton cover, from the Rainbow Concert (an excellent Clapton show if you like him, with some guests (Ronnie Wood) - it was his return show after his drug induced seclusion, back in the day)

Anyway, they do an awesome version of Little Wing.
    coming up

MSG 1
    Ringo the next night in Boston
    Hartford
    Boston 1 & 2

hell's yeah...
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Gets my vote for one of the greatest songs ever recorded. Indeed Stevie Ray Vaughan's cover of it deserves a listen, but Jimi accomplished power and poignancy with a 2 minute song. Very powerful song.

This song proves that Jimi, although he could blow your mind with a all out psychedelic rabble rouser like Machine Gun, but also could tune and tone it down with this brilliant song

Hendrix may have created more complex songs, but this to me is his masterpiece, a tame, 2 minute masterpiece, without crazy psychdelic flourishes
    iPod's existed the first time you heard little wing? aren't you in your 20s?! you missed out as a kid. I remember the first time I heard little wing. I was about 8. blew my tiny little mind.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • El_Kabong wrote:
    it is a great song, someone posted a clip fo some asian girl playing a really good version of it a while back
    that was me :p

She did a great job too..

Jimi's is still the best, no question. Stevie's is great, guitar playing is magnificant, but like the original post said Jimi brought you through a range of emotions and the very instant the solo starts and you hear him say "fly on.. little wing" it feels like you've been launched flying into the night sky. And all in little more than two minutes. Jimi wins.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"