Coachella/Rage reviews?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited May 2007 in Other Music
Am anxiously awaiting some reviews from people who saw the second coming of Rage at Coachella.

Please post your reviews!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,216
    Right on...I haven't heard a thing yet.
  • I have heard just basic reports of people saying that the pits up close to the stage were INSANE. They overheard some press saying "we are going to die". People said the crowd was lighting American flags on fire. Absolutely insane
  • Setlist:

Testify
    Bulls on Parade
    Bombtrack
    Bullet in the Head
    Know Your Enemy
    Down Rodeo
    Guerilla Radio
    Renegades of Funk
    Calm Like a Bomb
    Sleep Now in the Fire
    Wake Up
    Freedom
    Killing in the Name

De la Rocha said almost nothing between songs, but in the middle of "Wake Up" said "Our current administration needs to be tried, hung and shot, We need to treat them like the war criminals they are."
    Can't Touch the Bottom:
    10-20-01/ 10-21-01/ 2-26-02/ 12-6-02/ 12-8-02/ 12-9-02/ 6-1-03/ 6-2-03/ 6-3-03/ 6-5-03/ 6-6-03/ 10-25-03/ 10-26-03/ 10-28-03/ 9-1-05/ 9-2-05/ 7-13-06/ 7-15-06/ 7-16-06/ 7-18-06/ 7-20-06/ 7-22-06/ 7-23-06
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    All that hype for 13 songs? I mean I'm sure it was a great, intense show, but still 13 songs is weak.
  • duggroduggro Posts: 1,343
    Red Lukin wrote:
    All that hype for 13 songs? I mean I'm sure it was a great, intense show, but still 13 songs is weak.
    tis a festival....
    Dublin Leeds Berlin Wembley
  • NoCode_inMTNoCode_inMT Posts: 551
    Red Lukin wrote:

I bet those 13 songs were more intense and rocking than some bands FULL set.
    1998-6/20, 6/21
    2003-6/1, 10/25
    2005-8/29, 9/4
    2006-7/2, 7/22, 7/23
    2008-4/15(EV solo)
    2009-9/21, 9/22, 9/28
    2011-9/3, 9/4
    2012-9/30
    2013-7/19, 11/30
  • they were never the type of band who played long shows. 2 hours at most.
    Can't Touch the Bottom:
    10-20-01/ 10-21-01/ 2-26-02/ 12-6-02/ 12-8-02/ 12-9-02/ 6-1-03/ 6-2-03/ 6-3-03/ 6-5-03/ 6-6-03/ 10-25-03/ 10-26-03/ 10-28-03/ 9-1-05/ 9-2-05/ 7-13-06/ 7-15-06/ 7-16-06/ 7-18-06/ 7-20-06/ 7-22-06/ 7-23-06
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    I've been smacking myself silly ever since they reunited and especially since I won't be able to go see them on tour this year. Oh well, guess I have to wait to see them in seven more years.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    they were never the type of band who played long shows. 2 hours at most.

Who could hold up that kind of energy for more than 2 hours?! INTENSE.
  • heres a review of the crowd during rages set from the coachella site. Doesnt say much about the set, but it shows how intense the energy was.

Incrediblly brutal, i was in the middle center like five feet away from the stage on the left side of the main stage. I was at the Main Stage waiting for Rage starting at 1 o'clock when fucking Mika was playing and I waited it out over there to get good positioning until Rage. The crowd started getting rowdy during the middle of Crowded House's set. Everyone literally lost all their energy before Rage came on b/c the crowd was SUPER SUPER SUPER packed and everyone was pushing oneanother even though you couldn't move AT ALL. The left-front before the first fence/gate has like the capacity for like (i don't know) 300 to 400 people, but there was like 1600 people there... and when Rage finally came it was the craziest thing I've experiecned. Just about EVERYONE went absolutely nutz. After People of the Sun I felt like i literally going to die because it the most brutal in the way front. Someone was choking me and people were literally passing out.... I saw at least 12 people that passed out that had to be lifted out of the front over the gate where the security guards were (and that was only for the first three songs) and I saw some big fat guy laying immobilzed not being able to move while everyone was stomping all over him. I swear I saw some guy seemingly break his back too. I left after People of the Sun b/c I thought I was literally going to die if I stayed for another song. Lets just say it this way, my shirt and undershirt were both torn off and my backpack tore after Bulls of Parade. I have had close calls with death, but this was probably the closest I've been to it. I would be VERY surprised if no one died. All in all, it was absolutely incredible. I never felt that much energy in my entire life. Rage against the Machine is the greatest band of the past fifteen years and I can't fuckin wait to see them at Rock the Bells.
  • they were never the type of band who played long shows. 2 hours at most.
    Yeah, pearl jam spoiled us.

We need to get some scientists to check out our orbit, I'm pretty sure the Earth moved the other night.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    heres a review of the crowd during rages set from the coachella site. Doesnt say much about the set, but it shows how intense the energy was.

Incrediblly brutal, i was in the middle center like five feet away from the stage on the left side of the main stage. I was at the Main Stage waiting for Rage starting at 1 o'clock when fucking Mika was playing and I waited it out over there to get good positioning until Rage. The crowd started getting rowdy during the middle of Crowded House's set. Everyone literally lost all their energy before Rage came on b/c the crowd was SUPER SUPER SUPER packed and everyone was pushing oneanother even though you couldn't move AT ALL. The left-front before the first fence/gate has like the capacity for like (i don't know) 300 to 400 people, but there was like 1600 people there... and when Rage finally came it was the craziest thing I've experiecned. Just about EVERYONE went absolutely nutz. After People of the Sun I felt like i literally going to die because it the most brutal in the way front. Someone was choking me and people were literally passing out.... I saw at least 12 people that passed out that had to be lifted out of the front over the gate where the security guards were (and that was only for the first three songs) and I saw some big fat guy laying immobilzed not being able to move while everyone was stomping all over him. I swear I saw some guy seemingly break his back too. I left after People of the Sun b/c I thought I was literally going to die if I stayed for another song. Lets just say it this way, my shirt and undershirt were both torn off and my backpack tore after Bulls of Parade. I have had close calls with death, but this was probably the closest I've been to it. I would be VERY surprised if no one died. All in all, it was absolutely incredible. I never felt that much energy in my entire life. Rage against the Machine is the greatest band of the past fifteen years and I can't fuckin wait to see them at Rock the Bells.

Yikes... crowds with an intense amount of energy are awesome, but when you start to feel threatened for life, I think things are getting a little out of hand. Still wish I was there though. :D
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I've been at that point in my life. Not for a rage pit, but I've been in the same situation. It's fucking scary when everyone is packed like sardines inside these baracades, and you have no where to move, and you have 10,000 people pushing on each other. I got out at the right time to, cause I was smashed into the baracade, couldn't breathe, and was starting to fill light headed. After security pulled me out, my friend called me to make sure I was ok, and he told me a fight just broke out right where I would have been, and my friend was getting out too.
    It really is scaryand I'm done with GA pits. Hope everyone had a great time at RAGE, and even though I wasn't at Rage, I can totally relate to that paragraph review.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    taken from Coachella message board:

http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8968
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • rage333rage333 Posts: 157
    what about the band??? How was the music??? Who cares about the pit. I can guarantee that RATM has had a huge mosh pits at all of their shows.
    "when the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will be at peace"-Jimi Hendrix
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Videos are starting to get posted up on youtube. Here's the opener, Testify:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4bxPbIgeDg

Not a great shot of the stage, but you can definitely get the crowds energy.

And here's Down Rodeo, looks to be a better shot of the side stage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVyvrJBplzw
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • r1versr1vers Posts: 244
    while rage was my primary motivator for going on sunday, i still wanted to see a lot of other bands & only showed up to their stage about 20 minutes before they went on...i was off to the side about halfway back in the crowd i'd say & around me there was lots of head bobbing but not much full blown moshing. they sounded pretty good...but sadly just not as explosive levels of sound as i would've liked (but then again as i said i wasn't right up near the front by any means). they had plenty of energy though (especially Zack & Tom as usual).

here's a snippet i took from freedom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3rtJUl4Xf4
    "Last time I think we played that song here was like, a long time ago, and there was a bonfire in the back and people were like throwing each other into it...very exciting days but a huge fucking relief that that's not how it is tonight..." Ed Irvine Night 1 2003, after Deep
  • Oh wow. Watching those videos gave me chills...

I cannot wait for Rock the Bells.
  • I was there...

I couldnt believe how tight the band was. No rust evident at all. When they first came on and began "Testify," the crowd was going ballistic leading up to the part of the intro where the full band kicks in. But the sound was off, so when this part came, you really didnt hear the band "kick in" with full force, which was a bit of a letdown. By the next couple of songs though the sound crew had made their adjustments and it was all gravy, with the boys in full swing just rocking everyone's tits off. It was nuts, people jumping and moshing everywhere. Zack was on point, with his lyric delivery and performance taking up right where he left off. His political speech in "Wake Up" blew my girlfriend away. She actually interned in the White House and even though she voted for the left in the last election, still sees the other side. She was really taken aback by what Zack was saying about W being "hung, tried and shot." I was laughing, because as theater it was pretty incredible, regardless of if you share the bands political views. Killing in the name was just retardedly good. God bless 'em.
    Matt and I are friends.
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLslSFlfZvU

Wow, Bullet in the Head is fuckin sick!
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    merkinball wrote:
    Videos are starting to get posted up on youtube. Here's the opener, Testify:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4bxPbIgeDg

Not a great shot of the stage, but you can definitely get the crowds energy.

And here's Down Rodeo, looks to be a better shot of the side stage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVyvrJBplzw

Harsh Realization: We left before Rage to get back to L.A. to see Travis,and since Rage broke up, I have since moved 3 blocks away from the Rodeo Drive of which he sings!

I am against elitism, but I have less rage then when I was younger.
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    was just randomly reading posts from that link to the coachella site, and this caught my eye:

"i lost a shoe and it was one of the greatest concert experiences ever."

:D
    that just says it all.
    haha!

my husband and i have VIP tix to rock the bells on randall's island, the first night. i toughed out 5 nights on the rail for pj in italy, and the italians are pretty intense, but dunno about rage. i am sooo psyched i finally get to see em live, but yea, just hope we're not too 'old' and can handle the crowd! :p
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• pr4mojo1pr4mojo1 Posts: 102
    I was at the show and the energy before they came on and right when they did come on was something I'll never forget.

They had huge video screens on each side of the stage. Before they came on they cut to the back and showed Zack jumping up and down getting ready to come on. This got the crowd even more pumped, something that wasn't really necessary or needed.

They opened with Testify and they place goes absoultely nuts. I was about 200 people back and was 30-40 people back within minutes. Partially trying to get up there and partially for survival. Tons of people were heading the other way trying to escape the madness.

I've never felt for people that say STUPID SHIT like, "I waited since 1pm to get a good spot". You morons, have you never been to a show before? Unless you're on the rail your spot is going to be done instantly. Everybody goes nuts like this at a show of this size, especially for a band like Rage.

Back to the show, the mix/sound was terrible for the first few songs but it got cleaned up eventually. Highlights for me were "Down Rodeo" and "Calm Like A Bomb" (one of the best riffs ever in a song imo).

Here's some really good videos of the madness and the show:

http://musicplustv.com/26790

http://www.guerrillaradio.net/media/index3.php?dir=Coachella%202007/&PHPSESSID=88eff6ee7220fa58b95a1c6fd394f32c

That's all I got. Trying to pretend like I'm working right now...
    09/12/92-Irvine, 11/05/93-Indio, 06/24/95-San Fran, 11/06/95-SD, 11/07/95-SD, 7/13/98-LA, 07/14/98-LA, 10/25/00-SD, 10/28/00-Devore, 06/02/03-Irvine, 06/05/03-SD, 06/06/03-LV, 10/28/03-Santa Barbara, 09/02/05-Vancouver, 06/24/06-Cincy, 07/06/06-LV, 07/07/06-SD, 07/09/06-LA, 07/10/06-LA, 07/13/06-SB
  • Bangers_n_mashBangers_n_mash Posts: 1,241
    Does anyone know of an audio boot of this show?

Regardless of the quality it would something wonderful. :)
    uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɹ,ǝʍ 'punoɹ ʎɐʍ ɹǝɥʇo ǝɥʇ ןןɐ s,ʇı
  • pr4mojo1pr4mojo1 Posts: 102
    Does anyone know of an audio boot of this show?

Regardless of the quality it would something wonderful. :)

http://www.vietnow.org
    09/12/92-Irvine, 11/05/93-Indio, 06/24/95-San Fran, 11/06/95-SD, 11/07/95-SD, 7/13/98-LA, 07/14/98-LA, 10/25/00-SD, 10/28/00-Devore, 06/02/03-Irvine, 06/05/03-SD, 06/06/03-LV, 10/28/03-Santa Barbara, 09/02/05-Vancouver, 06/24/06-Cincy, 07/06/06-LV, 07/07/06-SD, 07/09/06-LA, 07/10/06-LA, 07/13/06-SB
  • BremertonBremerton Posts: 279
    pr4mojo1 wrote:
    They had huge video screens on each side of the stage. Before they came on they cut to the back and showed Zack jumping up and down getting ready to come on. This got the crowd even more pumped, something that wasn't really necessary or needed.
    That was definitely the best part. That and..."We are Rage Against the Machine from Los Angeles, California."

I thought the show was amazing, but the sound wasn't right, and energy wise they are definitely not the Rage of 94', but the Rage of 07 is good enough. The set length was little disappointing, but they played what I wanted to hear. It was definitely worth the $400 trip to see them for that show.